Jobs with no future

Walter
I rarely go to a bank anymore. Bank tellers will be like the blacksmith pretty soon.

Niflmir
Yeah, they are being phased out in favor of the cheaper automated teller machines - worse service for you, more unemployment in the nation, higher profits for the corporation. I brought this up in a thread where I pointed out an NDP bill which would have Canada join the rest of the industrial world in banning bank fees.

Keep in mind that ATM's don't make much money for the bank, they simply reduce operating expenses and maximise the amount of time your money is in their pockets.

Toro
Newspaper.

Unforgiven
Peacekeeper.

Andem
I was thinking about this yesterday actually.

Traffic police. I drove 1100km yesterday from Paris to Berlin and saw zero traffic police on the way. Saw more of the blitzer machines. Actually I think one caught me outside of Paris going 150 in a 110 zone.

Kreskin
We had photo radar in BC but it was susequently cancelled.

Musician

Over the last 25 years there has been a dramatic shift from venues providing live bands to singles only. There use to very little money in music. Today it's almost none by the looks of it.

Unforgiven
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

Musician

Over the last 25 years there has been a dramatic shift from venues providing live bands to singles only. There use to very little money in music. Today it's almost none by the looks of it.

I'd like to see a return of the "show" actually.

tamarin
Photographer

With digital, everyone's an expert. Or thinks he is.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by tamarinView Post

Photographer

Actually, everyone is a better photographer. If you don't like the picture....take another....we don't have to buy film or wait for film to be developed anymore. I love it...

Unforgiven
Quote: Originally Posted by tamarinView Post

Photographer

I think you have to be, in order to get the printer printing the prints correctly, have the logistics of getting the pictures on paper sorted you are still dealing with the same old problem of content and lighting. Isn't there still a resolution problem between a simple SLR and a digital camera until you get into the high end gear?

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by UnforgivenView Post

I think you have to be, in order to get the printer printing the prints correctly, have the logistics of getting the pictures on paper sorted you are still dealing with the same old problem of content and lighting. Isn't there still a resolution problem between a simple SLR and a digital camera until you get into the high end gear?

I you buy a $350 -$500 dollar digital you can get photos that will blow up to 10 by 16 or higher without any problems. A camera with 10 or 12 megapixels will do almost anything a film camera will do......but you will be paying a thousand dollars or more for it....Dexter Sinister is the man to talk to about this.

Toro
Politician.

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

Musician

In the states, the RIAA and various music copyright services have been cracking down on bars with live bands for royalty payments. They are usually quite outrageous and usually result in the live show being cancelled. Perhaps something simular is happening up here.

Nuggler
Parole officer

"KNOCK KNOCK. POUND POUND."

C'mon Louie, open the door. It's Mr. Johnston from the Parole office. C'mon, I KNOW YER IN THERE. OPEN THE GODDAMMMMMM DOOR. YER IN VIOLATION AS OF YESTERDAY, NOW OPEN THE DOOR!!!!

(door opens, Louie steps out)

"That's better, now we can talk. Look, why the hell didn't you even ca...............

BLAM!!!

(flop)

no future

karrie
I took a job as a stay at home mom. It never occurred to me that within 18 yrs of my last birth, I'd be out of a job. Damn.

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

In the states, the RIAA and various music copyright services have been cracking down on bars with live bands for royalty payments. They are usually quite outrageous and usually result in the live show being cancelled. Perhaps something simular is happening up here.

I haven't heard of that. Here, and there I'm sure, it's cheaper to pay one guy than 4 or 5. Technology and pre-recorded backup music is the culprit.

triedit
Disc Jockey. Very few of those around anymore. Most of us are out of work for life unless we can make **** squeel for jiggly tits and drugged up losers.

Nuggler
Quote: Originally Posted by trieditView Post

Disc Jockey. Very few of those around anymore. Most of us are out of work for life unless we can make **** squeel for jiggly tits and drugged up losers.

"Drugged up losers"....now there's a profession that's not going away anytime soon.

......HI, Jack

SwitSof
Quote: Originally Posted by AndemView Post

I was thinking about this yesterday actually.

Traffic police. I drove 1100km yesterday from Paris to Berlin and saw zero traffic police on the way. Saw more of the blitzer machines. Actually I think one caught me outside of Paris going 150 in a 110 zone.

How long would the drive take between Paris and Berlin? Not speeding!

missile
Air traffic controllers and most of the Auto Workers union

Impetus
SOCAN has been doing that (to some degree) in Canada for decades.

If you have live entertainment in your club, they'll drop buy and make you pay a license fee.
It's not outrageously high.

To Kreskin's point, technology has indeed had an impact, both positive and negative on today's musician. I've done the single, duo, and trio thing with the backing tracks (and without) for years and while you can get a great sound, there's a visual aspect missing. People love to watch a drummer.
Plus, once you cross the line of adding tracks, people start to wonder what you're actually playing and what is recorded.

What has hurt the biz more than technology is the ease at which any weekend picker can get awesome sound at the push of a pedal, put a band together and go out and play for $50/man and undercut the pro musicians. Commoditization, so to speak.

I hang out with some "legendary" Canadian musicians (from the old days) and most of them only teach and record, and occasionally do a few shows when the price and venue are right. I stopped playing pro in 1982 and I can't imagine someone trying to make a living at playing clubs these days without a record deal.

Muz

Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

MikeyDB
Human being.