Canadian seeing to relocate to USA

I never thought I would do this. I love Canada and always have. Due to circumstances I may find it necessary to move to the USA. I would like to know what the rules are? I have a son who has joint citizenship, and a boyfriend who lives in USA. How hard would it be for me to move there?
Don't know what this has to do with help/support of Canadian, but I've moved this thread to off-topic.

On-topic: There are not just one set of rules to get permenant residence status for any country that I know of, so I would suggest you check out US immigration web site via Google and see what type of categories you fall into. I don't know if having a US-American son is enough, but if you marry this boyfriend I'm sure you automatically get the right of abode in the US and eventual citizenship, but you may have to relinquish your Canadian citizenship to obtain your US-American.
You don't have to give up your Canadian citizenship. You can be a dual citizen. And it isn't "automatic" when you marry, you still have to do the waiting periods and pay the fees. If your son has dual citizenship you can apply as his mom without marrying your boyfriend. In fact, you don't need US citizenship at all--apply as a permanent resident (you'd have to do that first anyway).

I recommend a visit to your local consulate. Where are you located?
Cinnemon Girl (external - login to view)

Google has all kinds of links to forms and articles regarding the type of status you seek. The link above is but one of many.... best to go to the US Government pages too but they are cumbersome to give a quick read to.... full of bureaucrat speak....

Apply as an individual for a 'green card' (they are pink)....for Citizenship (Naturalization) it takes approximately five years as a legal Alien after you cross the border with all of your forms and your Canadian Passport in tow. If you marry an American you only have to wait three years I believe.... to apply for Naturalization ... and get an 'N' number which for me took a little over four years... but I had been down in the US for many years prior to that as an Alien...the only limitations to being an Alien are some jobs are out of reach ... such as some government offices.... and sensitive occupations as law enforcement, etc. Genrally speaking there are few of these restrictions. In many cases Aliens have already been investigated so you are regarded as a more reliable citizen than an unchecked citizen for some employers.

When you have been accepted to cross the border as a legal immigrant, you get a huge bundle which you forfeit at the border crossing or the nearest immigration office and then you get a temporary card until you get more pictures taken for the U.S. Alien card and receive an "A" number which is your passport until death unless you decide to become a citizen which is not mandatory.... it is wisest however to have legal status ... especially these days.
It also helps to have a job to go to if that is possible.... or a family affiliation...

You can live and work and gain social security status on an alien card and never have to take out a citizenship if you don't want to. You just have to renew your alien card on a regular basis and I don't know how many years they are good for before renewal.
Last edited by Curiosity; Jul 17th, 2007 at 01:05 PM..

Man.....isn't it amazing how similar the entry process to the United States is to the Interplanetary Immigration Centers that one must please when coming to this planet.....

Well that was my experience anyway....

I came down on a student pass..... it was very easy entering.... but I had to work myself through school so once in the U.S. I applied for an alien card which took less than a year (now its four because of the backlog of extra checking).... They are more lenient with students I think ...even now.

To become a citizen you have to wait five years before you are eligible unless you are marrying a citizen...then it's only three...

The actual process however now takes around five more years because of the backlog.
You can work in the US on a Trade NAFTA visa. You need to fit the requirements, though, so google search what you need.

Also, look into getting an H visa while you are down there, if you qualify.

Your boyfriend is of no consequence, unless you marry him. That would be the easiest way.

Your son can apply for you when he is 18.
As a teacher, I often had mothers who moved with their boyfriends...and brought the child(ren) along. Then the mother and boyfriend would break up and the mother and child(ren) would move back to the hometown, until the mother acquired a new boyfriend...and the whole process would start again.

I remember one little girl crying to me that she didn't want to move again. She had made friends, she liked me...but it didn't matter, mom and the boyfriend broke up and she and her mother moved back to the hometown.

Please, I'm only saying this so you can see it from a child's point of view. Is this the father of your son? Has the man been your boyfriend for a long time?

Moving from one country to another is a huge thing and something you really need to think about. Of course you can always move back to Canada if it doesn't work out, but that is disruptive for your son so you want to be almost 100% certain before you actually do it.

I'm sorry if I sound like a wet rag but I listened to many small, broken hearts throughout the years and I'm just trying to prevent one more.
Dont get hit by any boats. Or thrown in any detention centers.
no color
If you plan on marrying your boyfriend, I believe you can move down to the US on a fiancee visa. I think your son needs to be 18 to be able to sponsor you. I would guess it would be much quicker to get sponsored by your boyfriend. Timeline to get your green card depends on the state. My wife is an American Citizen and It took me exactly 6 months from the time I had filed for my green card (while I was living in the US) till I was approved (at my interview) and received the card a week later by mail. If you file soon after marrying, then you will receive a conditional (I think it's valid for 2 years) green card. I actually filed 2 1/2 years after we had married, so I received a 10 year card.

Then, if you stay married to your spouse after receiving your green card, it'll take you three years (time is measured from your interview date) to be eligible for US citizenship. You can actually apply for cizizenship 2 years and 9 months after you've been approved for your green card.

Similar Threads

no new posts