Anyone golf?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I went out yesterday for only the second time in 3 years (had dual shoulder calcidic tendonitus a few years ago). It took us 6 hours to play a fun tournament. Today I feel stiffer than Doc at an Avril concert. I played ok though, surprised myself. I need to get me one of those John Daly 'Grip em and Rip em' drivers.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
I went out yesterday for only the second time in 3 years (had dual shoulder calcidic tendonitus a few years ago). It took us 6 hours to play a fun tournament. Today I feel stiffer than Doc at an Avril concert. I played ok though, surprised myself. I need to get me one of those John Daly 'Grip em and Rip em' drivers.
chuckles...you do realize at all times i have her on video in another browser...and yes you got it right....LOL:p

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
My husband and I golf almost every day, (early evening) 9 holes or more.
I learned to golf when I was 60. I battled and tried for about a year before I began to do anything
that resembled golf. I then improved quite a bit, even had a few rounds in the high 80's, and I
went into a couple of ladies tournaments. Now I have disgarded all of that serious stuff, and I just
golf for fun, and enjoy my good shots forget the bad ones. I don't even keep score, and have my own
rules, and it's really fun now.
We are members at Glacier Greens by the Airforce Base in Comox, it is beautiful there, deer everywhere, and we see the planes go in and out all the time, beautiful views of the mountains.
For me, golf is a nice long walk, with something interesting to do.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I've only played Glacier Greens a couple of times but enjoyed it very much.

I would enjoy golf more if I could get more distance. I won't blame the clubs entirely but I'm using hand-me-downs from 30 years ago for the most part. Seriously, my irons are Wilson "Sam Sneads", and they are the good part of my set. The woods drive me crazy. I told my wife, I'm going to invest in a monster driver and a really good fairway wood. My driving distance is about 230-250. If I can add 40 or 50 to it then I'll have a lot more fun.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

I would enjoy golf more if I could get more distance. I won't blame the clubs entirely but I'm using hand-me-downs from 30 years ago for the most part. Seriously, my irons are Wilson "Sam Sneads", and they are the good part of my set. The woods drive me crazy. I told my wife, I'm going to invest in a monster driver and a really good fairway wood. My driving distance is about 230-250. If I can add 40 or 50 to it then I'll have a lot more fun.

Definitely you need new clubs, I bought a good set of Cobras as soon as I knew I wanted
to continue playing golf. It makes a big difference, and the other thing is, that you have to golf at
least one or two days a week, and go to the range as well, or good things don't happen much at all.
Golf is such a humiliating game, full of discipline. When I was younger sports came to me easily,
and I got the hang of most games, and became pretty good at them, THEN, I started to learn golf,
and figured it would be the same, not so, and once I learned that, I began to get better, as it is
a lifetime game of correction, and we all have to accept that, and it is 'so so' easy to lose part of
your swing, and wonder where it went, so you have to learn 'why' the swing did what it did, so you
can find your way back to the good swing again.
It also helps a lot to watch the shows on 'the golf channel' where the players talk about how to
swing, and what to do in certain situations, they make it easy to understand, and a few lessons
will also prevent you from continuing doing the 'wrong' thing over and over, which makes it very
frustrating.
A couple of lessons can clear up a few little things that will make a big difference in your swing.

SwitSof

Electoral Member
Well I'm just half of the age when you're starting talloola, hope it's not an ageist game!
I quite liked it the first time, well the only time so far, but am not a natural one unfortunately :(
That first time I did, somehow I always manage to jerk my shoulders and always direct the ball to me left, never straight!
Hope my dodgy back isn't going to be worse if I did golf a bit more.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

The right tools for the right job is always a good idea. While spending on clubs don't allow price to influence you. I know that there is a practical side to life but find a price range to look for clubs in and try all you can till you find the right fit.

I used to play when I was young. I held a membership to a private golf and country club in Calgary for a few years too. There are some great courses to golf out your way. One of my favorites is Jaser Park. Each tee is set up for a spectacular view. Beautiful course. Last course I ever played with my Dad too.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Thought you meant the car.:-(

But;.........no. We don't.

Never will.

:banghead: Tried it once or twice and that is what it was like. Plus it was hot. And I walked enough at that time. 19th hole was fun, but I even quit that, so what's left????:-:)-(

Whine whine: sucks to be me.

:sleepy1:

Crashed

Jun 1, 2007
Nova Scotia
I love golf! Unfortunately, one of my golf buddies that has a membership at the course i used to play a lot is working a crazy shift which screws the schedule and prime tee off times. That and the fact our weather hasn't been the greatest are the reasons i've only been out twice this season. I shot 90 my last round.

There a few industry tournaments coming up in the next month that i'll be playing in.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I learned at age 17 and golfed into my mid20s when I moved to the US. The clubs were too much for me to move so I gave them to my cousin and have only gone to the driving range down here on occasion. I loved golf and was lucky enough to have a pro teach me - he insisted I practice only for almost one year before he let me start playing the game. I went through the whole list of clubs - using a month for each one.... and then my putting took way too long.... but I learned.

I never broke 80, but I loved the idea that I could even go out on a Saturday and find someone who would let me join their group if none of my friends were available. Golf seems to played by really nice people (except for the hardass gamblers who would never let me play with them anyway).... but I have some happy memories of the game. Got a hole in one at Peace Portal too. A fluke.

There is a group of friends here who invite me to the driving range on occasion just for something to do and I like that... but starting up all the old calluses in the right places again doesn't feel like much fun now....and besides they call themselves "The Missing Link Club" hahaha.... that is where I belong I know!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Golf....I remember that game. You try to hit the ball, and then you go look for it. Most of all its a great hike. Leave the golf bats and balls at home and you won't lose them....;-):roll::lol:

Last edited:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I am probably the crappiest golfer in Canada, I came to that conclusion years ago. I am quite happy to wait in the clubhouse and drink my self into a stupor while my friends make a mess of the pretty grass.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I am probably the crappiest golfer in Canada, I came to that conclusion years ago. I am quite happy to wait in the clubhouse and drink my self into a stupor while my friends make a mess of the pretty grass.

Sounds perfectly reasonable.....and like I said, you won't lose any balls...

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Exactly. The times I actually have Golfed, I lost on average about 6-7 balls... not a cheap outing.

I get ideas that someone else cashes in on, so here you go. Golf balls with gps tracking inside. Get you close as a yard away and if you can't find it when it's that close, you're out of bounds anyway.

Put it together and sell the rights, my gift to you. Remember me when you are filthy rich and hated by your used to be peers.

Brat

Electoral Member
May 30, 2007

And I'll be the one on the barstool beside you.

Cheers

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The 19th hole after a game of golf..one of the top ten places on Earth.