What flummoxes your Reality Game

Twila
I have no idea if this will fly here...but the game goes like this:

You only get one entry per post to chose something that causes your brain to skip an electron, makes your head spin, and generally flummoxes you.

Mine:
To think there is a possibility that some of you on this forum maybe people I deal with on the phone during work or walk past on the weekends or even possible met one of you at a party unknowingly.

It could happen....it could have happened. How bizaarre!

Curiosity
Leaving a grocery shopping list at home.

I loathe buying groceries - having to think out days in advance what I want to eat.... ick....

I make a list and often leave it on the counter in the kitchen. When I get to the store I am fuzzled by all the choices - generally buy on impulse and throw much of it out in a few days....or worse... freeze it and forget it...

Pangloss
The String Conjecture and parts of quantum physics - thinking about some of the stuff we are made of and how it all works can stop me right in my tracks every once in a while.

Pangloss

Curiosity
Aw Jeez Pangloss - were we supposed to be brilliant here or something? That was Einstein stuff!! Lousy grocery list was the best I could do.....humph.... Hope you get some good ones Twila ... interesting concept for a thread...

Unforgiven
All the wiring.

Twila
Quote:

thinking about some of the stuff we are made of and how it all works can stop me right in my tracks

I can't say I think about string theories and such but my brain just a swirls with amazement at what the a body can do. National Geographic has animal ultrasound pic's on their site and those were astounding.

Phil B
Working out whether Mrs Phil actually meant left or right at the junction we have just reached quite literally stops me in my tracks.

Impetus
I have a billion things to do around the house (reno stuff mostly) but when I finally get some time I can never think of where to start.

Muz

Vereya
I live alone, and I have very few responsibilities and very few claims on my time. However, somehow I am always busy, always have something absolutely urgent to do, and hardly ever have time to sit around feeling bored. I will never understand it...

Twila
Vereya, there is a saying that states "only the boring get bored". So take heart....your not boring!

Twila
Quote:

Lousy grocery list was the best I could do.....humph

I can totally relate to the grocery list thing. I'm a complete mess if I forget my list, or the husband is holding the list (I actually need to hold it and read it myself inorder for the brain to engage in the "hunt" for food) and heaven forbid there's talking about non grocery related topics while hunting for food!

I think my brain gets bombarded with non logical, flightly thought patterns of those other shoppers when I'm in a grocery store...any other store and Im fine. Crowded mall....fine...grocery store and the brain goes fizzz

GaurdianX
Finding a girl who actually WANTS to be with me, and surprisingly, I have found one.

triedit
The whole Horton Hears a Who thing--where an entire civilsation lives on a dust speck. What if we are just a dust speck?

Curiosity
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

[/b]I can totally relate to the grocery list thing. I'm a complete mess if I forget my list, or the husband is holding the list (I actually need to hold it and read it myself inorder for the brain to engage in the "hunt" for food) and heaven forbid there's talking about non grocery related topics while hunting for food!

I think my brain gets bombarded with non logical, flightly thought patterns of those other shoppers when I'm in a grocery store...any other store and Im fine. Crowded mall....fine...grocery store and the brain goes fizzz

Thank you Twila

I was so embarrassed at my choice of 'blank stare' event - but it plagues me. Once I start looking at ideas for meals, I get information overload and buy too much. Gotta admit I start talking with other people too and get sidetracked especially if they are buying some new salad or idea for something different... I love all the ethnic choices now in the big stores.... I can try things I never knew existed and surprisingly enjoy ... maybe I should stop making lists and go with my reactions and to heck with being a 'smart shopper'.

daisygirl
Watching my cat breathe and seeing that there are no cords plugged into anything. For me, that's proof there is a God.

daisygirl
Looking at my house and wondering where to start cleaning it...and how.

karrie
Watching fifthwheel campers floating down the highway screws me up. All this STUFF that people can't let go of, even to go out camping. We have to build giant boxes to haul all this crap around with us like super extravagent turtles, zipping all over the country. Of all the things I see in a typical day, it makes me really truly realize how little and insignificant we are. To engage in such tiny pettiness and insecurity when the world stretches out so vast around us floors me.

Minority Observer84
Mechanical Mathematics

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by trieditView Post

The whole Horton Hears a Who thing--where an entire civilsation lives on a dust speck. What if we are just a dust speck?

Or, Everything we can see, even with our most powerful telescopes, is only a molecule in a coffee table, and our actions are veiwed by the owners of the coffee table rotting wood and they get a new coffee table. When the old coffee table goes to the incinerator we have another big bang. Scale can flummoxe anyone's mind. Can a universe exist in a molecule of your coffee table? I think so.

Unforgiven
Quote: Originally Posted by trieditView Post

On some scale we are aren't we? Nova I think, did a representation of our size starting in Vienna and going outward at the power of ten in increments. It didn't take many increments before our planet and then solar system became less than the size of a speck of dust in an ocean.

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by UnforgivenView Post

On some scale we are aren't we? Nova I think, did a representation of our size starting in Vienna and going outward at the power of ten in increments. It didn't take many increments before our planet and then solar system became less than the size of a speck of dust in an ocean.

Right. Conversely you can go in the other direction and show how incredibly gigantic we are. We know there are things smaller than electrons etc. So why can't there be things equally larger than ourselves? Scale is limitless, as what we can see spans such a large range why would it only contain what we can see?

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

Right. Conversely you can go in the other direction and show how incredibly gigantic we are. We know there are things smaller than electrons etc. So why can't there be things equally larger than ourselves? Scale is limitless, as what we can see spans such a large range why would it only contain what we can see?

let's all smoke a bit and ponder this some more. lol.

if there are particles which are small enough to pass through us without bumping into the molecules which comprise us, then a universe we can move through without bumping into anything may in fact be a solid object as well. Perhaps, we're really just moving through ourselves.

Unforgiven

True say. But I think there are limits on scale due to the physics involved. Hence no 15 foot tall people, but grizzly bears can reach that height or there abouts.

Unforgiven
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

let's all smoke a bit and ponder this some more. lol.

if there are particles which are small enough to pass through us without bumping into the molecules which comprise us, then a universe we can move through without bumping into anything may in fact be a solid object as well. Perhaps, we're really just moving through ourselves.

I don't think so because we seem to be able to see enough to know that we aren't part of some cosmic toenail.

Impetus
Carl Sagan said it best.

The Pale Blue Dot

Muz

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by UnforgivenView Post

True say. But I think there are limits on scale due to the physics involved. Hence no 15 foot tall people, but grizzly bears can reach that height or there abouts.

You assume we understand all the laws of physics.

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by ImpetusView Post

Carl Sagan said it best.

The Pale Blue Dot

Muz

This is getting to the heart of the matter. But are we as significant as Sagan thinks? I think he is being optemistic. We are less than that in the big picture.

Unforgiven

No I don't think we do yet, but I think we are able to and will at some point. But here, we understand enough to form a reasonable idea until something to the contrary comes along.

karrie

Exactly. Scientists still can't explain SO MUCH. Just take a look at String Conjecture... shoot, scientists can't even agree on what to call it, conjecture, theory, blah blah blah. All these unprovable areas of science, and we assume we have even the slightest notion.

Janbacca
However, there is no need to overlook all of the scientific and technological advancements man has made over the past century. And last time I checked, nobody claimed to understand the truths of the universe.