Youth Criminal Justice Act

bluecollarguy

Jul 9, 2007
New Westminster B.C.
In this time of Bulling, Gangs, School shootings, And random attacks on innocent people by youths. I think it is obvious that some kids are not just kids anymore.
Almost every day we hear about another violent crime committed by someone who has been in court over and over. It seems that they have no respect for the law or the public around them.
They are smarter and know the systems better. And they use this knowledge to there advantage.:angryfire:
Don't get me wrong. There are a lot of good kids out there.
But when we have repeat offenders going to court over and over again is this a deterrent?
Should the Y.C.J.A. be revamped? And if so how?
Do you think punishment should be more severe?
Should pictures and names be publicized for repeat offenders?
Should more be raised to Adult court?
Should the parents be held accountable?
And how about Education and Rehabilitation can this work on repeat offenders?

Impetus

Electoral Member
May 31, 2007
I don't think kids 17 and under should "enjoy" the same penal system as adults, but they should be equally accountable for their criminal behaviour.
Today's kids cannot claim ignorance of the law when it comes to violent crime.

I think theprotection of the YOA should only apply on the first offense. After that, it's "grown-up law" for you kid.
Answers:
1 Yes, see above
2 Depending upon the severity of the crime.
3 Yes
4 Yes
5 Only if they were proven to be aware of the criminal activity and didn't act.
6 In some cases. It's worth a try...along with some actual "punishment", such as house arrest.

Muz

In this time of Bulling, Gangs, School shootings, And random attacks on innocent people by youths. I think it is obvious that some kids are not just kids anymore.
Almost every day we hear about another violent crime committed by someone who has been in court over and over. It seems that they have no respect for the law or the public around them.
They are smarter and know the systems better. And they use this knowledge to there advantage.:angryfire:
Don't get me wrong. There are a lot of good kids out there.
But when we have repeat offenders going to court over and over again is this a deterrent?
Should the Y.C.J.A. be revamped? And if so how?
Do you think punishment should be more severe?
Should pictures and names be publicized for repeat offenders?
Should more be raised to Adult court?
Should the parents be held accountable?
And how about Education and Rehabilitation can this work on repeat offenders?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
A look into why something happened in the first place should be a priority. While it's a vast difference in upbringing these days, kids are more influenced by what they see on tv and the net than what they are taught by parents and teachers in some cases. That blame resides solely with our generation. We allow it to happen. But society plays a role too. So kids rule the roost and once they understand that might makes right, they are very difficult to control in a society based on traditional roles and limited funds.

It isn't cheap to change someone's mind when they despise you and to have half the tools you need only makes it that much more difficult. I would submit that the majority of youth who get lost in violence and anti-social behaviour need only a group setting, segregation and the people to teach them how to life in an upstanding and worthwhile manner.