Overcoming phobia

SwitSof

Electoral Member
Am thinking to donate blood again, but I must admit the last time which was a few months ago I fainted and believe me it was really not a nice feeling.
I have rather low blood pressure and at that time, my blood pressure all of a sudden dropped really low and I could feel it in my stomach somehow and felt a little nauseous too. Really, not a nice feeling :(
Doesn't help that I am terrified of needles too actually.
What worked for you to overcome your phobia?
I reckon I need something to really distract me so that I don't notice the needles sticking into my vein. Suggestions?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
You know what, I just look right at what is going on and distract myself with the procedure to that the sting is just a part of it. Having a good needleman is a definite benefit too. I've watched them sew me up in a couple of places and find myself more interested in the whole method and what's used when, that I can get outside the pain aspect enough to become a spectator in a way.
Though I don't have a phobia about needles or blood and that stuff.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Am thinking to donate blood again, but I must admit the last time which was a few months ago I fainted and believe me it was really not a nice feeling.
I have rather low blood pressure and at that time, my blood pressure all of a sudden dropped really low and I could feel it in my stomach somehow and felt a little nauseous too. Really, not a nice feeling :(
I reckon I need something to really distract me so that I don't notice the needles sticking into my vein. Suggestions?

Is it really a phobia when your body is reacting to physical injury?

If you want to donate again, you have to take your blood pressure into account, and make it's stable before you go. I know a lot of people (the vegans I know especially), who need to make a special point of adding salt to their food to keep their blood pressure within normal ranges.

You also need to make sure you've eaten a good meal ahead of time.

Other than that, I have no great wisdom to pass on. It's a great thing to do, but only so long as it's not injurious to you.

Impetus

Electoral Member
May 31, 2007
Props to you for giving blood despite your phobia!

That takes guts...

Distraction usually works. Get yourself one of those stress balls and work on it with your other hand.

Or bring an iPod with Dexy's Midnight Runners' "Eileen" looping on it.
Pain is always a good distraction from pain...

Muz

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I go with my portable Sattellite Radio and listen to tunes while they do it. Sometimes I even take a nap. I feel it but I distract myself.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

I have a phobia of needles as well. Whenever I had to get blood taken, I would feel weak and could feel the blood rushing to my head. I never fainted, but came pretty close. The last time they took blood(which was about a month ago) I just pictured myself on the beach and that seemed to do the trick. I did not feel queasy at all.:smile:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I have a phobia of heights. So I went indoor rock climbing. I work at taking my fears head on. It helps me to know if it's really a fear or a fear from thinking too much about something. It makes me really angry to let an inanimate object or emotion control me.

Maybe you can work with that also? Remind yourself that you will control this emotion and not let it control you.

SwitSof

Electoral Member
Unf, I do have phobia with blood. Can't stand seeing it either.
So I wouldn't be able to watch like what you did, that would give me a nightmare!
Fainted too when I offered my finger to be pricked to have the blood taken in high school. I know, pathetic ay?

karrie said:
Is it really a phobia when your body is reacting to physical injury?

If you want to donate again, you have to take your blood pressure into account, and make it's stable before you go. I know a lot of people (the vegans I know especially), who need to make a special point of adding salt to their food to keep their blood pressure within normal ranges.

You also need to make sure you've eaten a good meal ahead of time.
Actually the last time was when I was in Singapore. So there is a doctor to check your blood pressure. The doc said mine was rather low but still ok, she then advised me to drink about 7/8 small cups of water before donating, which I did. I ate too before going to the clinic and didn't feel anything abnormal.

I did get worried when the nurse couldn't find my vein on my right arm, which was used the previous time I was there actually, which I found odd and probably made me worried.
I reckon your body can react cause of phobia. It's in your mind and the thought does affect you physically too, I suppose.

I'm phobic with height too, and it always gives me a chill on my back whenever I look down.
And I'm thinking to overcome it by doing skydiving well with an instructor on my first time, after I gather enough guts to do it!

Props to you for giving blood despite your phobia!
Oh, it's nothing really. Pangloss is too and it sounded he did much more.
My blood type is O, universal donor. So the way I see it, if I could give it without causing me much problem (well the phobia is something I want to overcome anyway), why not? Plus, I read somewhere it's actually good for us to have our blood re-generated every now and then.

Distraction usually works. Get yourself one of those stress balls and work on it with your other hand.

Or bring an iPod with Dexy's Midnight Runners' "Eileen" looping on it.
Pain is always a good distraction from pain...
I thought distraction might work. Like how Ross did to Rachel in Friends. Bless him, I like his character in that series, well apart from the cheating part...
Actually what you and Skiing suggested might work. I can just put some loud music to hear on earphones. I have no idea what that song is, but will give it a try!

Stress ball wouldn't work :( Cause the last time when I fainted, I had to squeeze the ball which is the practice in Singapore anyway, and the previous time before it I was told to do that too, and this time whenever I squeezed I felt more as if the blood was sucked from my vein and again I reckon it made me more worried!

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Sometimes sucking an ice cube helps Switsof - or more convenient a mentholated cough candy - however for blood donation the cough candy may be unsuitable...

I have no idea why this lessens the panic - it may be a distraction type affect.

Phobic reaction can be unrealistic or realistic with an overexcitation in reaction which deeply affects the body's normal functioning. It isn't imagined at all - it is a genuine physically measurable reaction.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
You could always try a "F$%K that, I'm DOIN it" approach

And as others have said, "phobia" is irrational fear- fear of feeling INTENSE nausea and maybe splittin yer noggin is NOT irrational in the least- perhaps if you could even re-think the "phobia" distinction, while taking the above suggestions to quell the actual physical possibility of another similar reaction??

Either way, good on ya for taking this thing by the horns, and I hope however you proceed works out great for you- no matter what, if you DO make another attempt and it goes the same "bad" way as last time, maybe something/someone is just trying to tell ya to knock it off??

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario

I'm smiling. Sorry, I am not unsympathetic, just that it sounds familiar.
I wouldn't call it a real phobia. It's more like what they call in medical circles 'the white coat syndrome'. Being approached or treated by medics in uniforms does something to some people's psyche.

I am a retired nurse. During my working years I encountered a lot of 'bloody' scenes and it never bothered me. That was my job. But when my son cut himself at home and bled profusely, I stopped the bleeding, cleaned his wound and bandaged it and then - FAINTED!
I always feel weak and nauseated when I cut myself too. Stranger's blood I can handle, when it's close to home, NOT!

The people who run the blood clinics see people faint oftener than you probably think. It's not uncommon. I'm sure they always ask how you feel during and after the process. They expect it.
As for the needle fear, that's pretty common too. Look away and think about something else while their hooking it up, something that captures your mind. And don't ever look at what they're doing or at the needle.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I'm smiling. Sorry, I am not unsympathetic, just that it sounds familiar.
I wouldn't call it a real phobia. It's more like what they call in medical circles 'the white coat syndrome'. Being approached or treated by medics in uniforms does something to some people's psyche.

I am a retired nurse. During my working years I encountered a lot of 'bloody' scenes and it never bothered me. That was my job. But when my son cut himself at home and bled profusely, I stopped the bleeding, cleaned his wound and bandaged it and then - FAINTED!
I always feel weak and nauseated when I cut myself too. Stranger's blood I can handle, when it's close to home, NOT!

The people who run the blood clinics see people faint oftener than you probably think. It's not uncommon. I'm sure they always ask how you feel during and after the process. They expect it.
As for the needle fear, that's pretty common too. Look away and think about something else while their hooking it up, something that captures your mind. And don't ever look at what they're doing or at the needle.
It may not be a phobia, But I find that the worst needle is the I/V needle when you get prepped for a colonoscopy...
After taking that phosphate or other solution the day before, to empty your intestines, you are so dehydrated that your veins are almost shrunk to nothing, and even a good nurse has a hard time to get it on first or even second try...

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017

There is phobia and then there is legitimate concern. If you faint after blood is drawn, should you really be giving? Maybe get a doctor's opinion first?

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
It is a natural reaction and a fairly common one. If I did it more than once, I would certainly consider not doing it anymore.[/QUOTE

Blood pressure is a fickle thing; it can go up or down dramatically at the drop of a hat and return to normal again just as quickly. It can happen if you get up too quickly, if you receive an emotional shock or just for no apparent reason.
One should always lie quietly for a bit after giving blood and take it easy for the next few hours.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

If it bothers you to have the catheter needle put in your vein, turn away, don't watch. You'll hardly feel a thing.

It is a natural reaction and a fairly common one. If I did it more than once, I would certainly consider not doing it anymore.[/QUOTE

Blood pressure is a fickle thing; it can go up or down dramatically at the drop of a hat and return to normal again just as quickly. It can happen if you get up too quickly, if you receive an emotional shock or just for no apparent reason.
One should always lie quietly for a bit after giving blood and take it easy for the next few hours.

I was put on a medication for some kidney stones a few months ago that crashed my blood pressure (a side effect) and made me feel like a depressed rag doll. I stopped taking it, immediately.