Incense

triedit
I find burning stick incense is soooo relaxing. Does anyone else around here use it other than for religious purposes?

Unforgiven
Quote: Originally Posted by trieditView Post

I find burning stick incense is soooo relaxing. Does anyone else around here use it other than for religious purposes?

Yep.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by trieditView Post

I used to like it. But, I have a husband and son with asthma. And really, incense burning in your house isn't a whole lot healthier (especially when infused with chemical scents) than second hand smoke. So, much like the smoking, I had to quit! lol.

Dreadful Nonsense
Lot of Tibetan monks and nuns have insense related lung problems.
Japanese use the warmth from the lit end to do something like acupuncture . They stimulate certain points with the warmth of the lit end.

Johnnny
The stoners down the street got the bob marley and cheech and chong insence lol. I think there more for covering the smell than for religous experiences lol

Unforgiven
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

I used to like it. But, I have a husband and son with asthma. And really, incense burning in your house isn't a whole lot healthier (especially when infused with chemical scents) than second hand smoke. So, much like the smoking, I had to quit! lol.

Good on you. I have Asthma and I have a vaporizer that will vaporize essential oils without the added problem of chemials mixed in. Granted the whole thing isn't cheap but it does add fregrance without all the bad stuff.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by UnforgivenView Post

Good on you. I have Asthma and I have a vaporizer that will vaporize essential oils without the added problem of chemials mixed in. Granted the whole thing isn't cheap but it does add fregrance without all the bad stuff.

I simmer essential oils and/or spices in one of those little potpourri pots. Cedar oil can be really good for opening the bronchial tubes supposedly, and adds a nice earthy smell to the house. My hubby doesn't like it much, but I like it with a bit of anise oil tossed in too.

Unforgiven

I simmer essential oils and/or spices in one of those little potpourri pots. Cedar oil can be really good for opening the bronchial tubes supposedly, and adds a nice earthy smell to the house. My hubby doesn't like it much, but I like it with a bit of anise oil tossed in too.

Very nice, I see we share a liking for Cedar. I always think of a Westcoast rain when I get some going.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by UnforgivenView Post

Very nice, I see we share a liking for Cedar. I always think of a Westcoast rain when I get some going.

Try cedar and cassia bark (cinnamon) on a cold day. Super nice.

Vereya
I like burning incense sticks, for various reasons, both religious and non-religious. I especially like floral smells, they make the atmosphere at home so much cosier. And when I smoke marijuana, I like to turn off the lights, and to burn incense and a candle. This kind of setting makes the experience even more enjoyable. I most often use red candles. Besides concentrating love and sexual energy, they have such a warm and enjoyable glow.

eh1eh
Even thogh I go to the garage to smoke I still light some insense just in case someone shows up. Musk is my favorite.

missile
I use incense to cover up certain bad odours[those related to use of the bathroom]

DurkaDurka
I have only burned Incense when I smoke a fat doob. I find the smell of the incense to be a little too potent for everyday use.

Johnnny
dam potheads lol

Pangloss
I have lots of trees and lilac bushes around the house - I just open windows.

Plus, I like to cook, and there is nothing in the world like the smell of a sauteeing onion in wine and garlic - or a good masala being warmed up in a pan...yum.

Now I've gone and made myself all hungry.

Pangloss

karrie
now, why is it pot smokers think that incense covers the smell?

It doesn't. It just makes the place smell like incense AND pot.

my best friend tried for almost a year to tell me that the smell was merely incense. When she finally came out and told me taht she was smoking pot, she proclaimed how proud she was she'd hid it for so long. I laughed, needless to say, and explained that just because someone is too polite to argue and say 'no, you really are smoking pot', it doesn't mean they don't know!

Dreadful Nonsense

now, why is it pot smokers think that incense covers the smell?

It doesn't. It just makes the place smell like incense AND pot.

my best friend tried for almost a year to tell me that the smell was merely incense. When she finally came out and told me taht she was smoking pot, she proclaimed how proud she was she'd hid it for so long. I laughed, needless to say, and explained that just because someone is too polite to argue and say 'no, you really are smoking pot', it doesn't mean they don't know!

Flippin funny I might add....hahahahaha

We used to wander round with copious amounts of Patchoully oil on us and think the same thing ....we called it patch

Vereya
I have never actually used incense to conceal the smell of pot, because fortunately I've got no one to conceal my habits from It just helps to create a better atmosphere.

Twila
Quote:

Cedar oil can be really good for opening the bronchial tubes supposedly, and adds a nice earthy smell to the house.

You may want to be extra careful with cedar. It contains phenols which cause not only lung irritation but cancer. Mill workers have to wear masks to avoid inhaling it. Phenol is the chemical that makes that lovely smell. It's what kills bugs and why cedar wood is used for making boxes to store clothing.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

You may want to be extra careful with cedar. It contains phenols which cause not only lung irritation but cancer. Mill workers have to wear masks to avoid inhaling it. Phenol is the chemical that makes that lovely smell. It's what kills bugs and why cedar wood is used for making boxes to store clothing.

Yeah, that's not exactly a huge risk when simmering a couple drops of oil in some warm water. But thanks for the info and concern. And, on a side note, anyone working around any sawdust, regardless of species, should be wearing a mask.

Twila
just remember that it's the oil that contains the scent/phenols. I read where it's fine for humans and I've read where it's bad. It's the most mixed up thing.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

just remember that it's the oil that contains the scent/phenols. I read where it's fine for humans and I've read where it's bad. It's the most mixed up thing.

It's probably in how it's used. Some people use oils VERY directly... put them on a rag and inhale them for maximum effect, or do steams by putting their heads under a towel, over a bowl of oil and hot water. Put them in massage oils and rub them on their skin. Furthermore, some oxygen bars 'flavor' their oxygen by bubbling it straight through essential oils, which then aerosolize and are inhaled in minute traces. I'd gather that cedar would be a bad idea for any of these sorts of applications.

Nuggler
What the hell does smell and frying and burning have to do with incest??

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH incense

no new posts