Incense

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I find burning stick incense is soooo relaxing. Does anyone else around here use it other than for religious purposes?

I used to like it. But, I have a husband and son with asthma. And really, incense burning in your house isn't a whole lot healthier (especially when infused with chemical scents) than second hand smoke. So, much like the smoking, I had to quit! lol.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Lot of Tibetan monks and nuns have insense related lung problems.
Japanese use the warmth from the lit end to do something like acupuncture . They stimulate certain points with the warmth of the lit end.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I used to like it. But, I have a husband and son with asthma. And really, incense burning in your house isn't a whole lot healthier (especially when infused with chemical scents) than second hand smoke. So, much like the smoking, I had to quit! lol.

Good on you. I have Asthma and I have a vaporizer that will vaporize essential oils without the added problem of chemials mixed in. Granted the whole thing isn't cheap but it does add fregrance without all the bad stuff.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Good on you. I have Asthma and I have a vaporizer that will vaporize essential oils without the added problem of chemials mixed in. Granted the whole thing isn't cheap but it does add fregrance without all the bad stuff.

I simmer essential oils and/or spices in one of those little potpourri pots. Cedar oil can be really good for opening the bronchial tubes supposedly, and adds a nice earthy smell to the house. My hubby doesn't like it much, but I like it with a bit of anise oil tossed in too.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I simmer essential oils and/or spices in one of those little potpourri pots. Cedar oil can be really good for opening the bronchial tubes supposedly, and adds a nice earthy smell to the house. My hubby doesn't like it much, but I like it with a bit of anise oil tossed in too.

Very nice, I see we share a liking for Cedar. I always think of a Westcoast rain when I get some going.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
I like burning incense sticks, for various reasons, both religious and non-religious. I especially like floral smells, they make the atmosphere at home so much cosier. And when I smoke marijuana, I like to turn off the lights, and to burn incense and a candle. This kind of setting makes the experience even more enjoyable. :smile: I most often use red candles. Besides concentrating love and sexual energy, they have such a warm and enjoyable glow.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I have only burned Incense when I smoke a fat doob. I find the smell of the incense to be a little too potent for everyday use.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I have lots of trees and lilac bushes around the house - I just open windows.

Plus, I like to cook, and there is nothing in the world like the smell of a sauteeing onion in wine and garlic - or a good masala being warmed up in a pan...yum.

Now I've gone and made myself all hungry.

Pangloss

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
now, why is it pot smokers think that incense covers the smell?

It doesn't. It just makes the place smell like incense AND pot.

my best friend tried for almost a year to tell me that the smell was merely incense. When she finally came out and told me taht she was smoking pot, she proclaimed how proud she was she'd hid it for so long. I laughed, needless to say, and explained that just because someone is too polite to argue and say 'no, you really are smoking pot', it doesn't mean they don't know!

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
now, why is it pot smokers think that incense covers the smell?

It doesn't. It just makes the place smell like incense AND pot.

my best friend tried for almost a year to tell me that the smell was merely incense. When she finally came out and told me taht she was smoking pot, she proclaimed how proud she was she'd hid it for so long. I laughed, needless to say, and explained that just because someone is too polite to argue and say 'no, you really are smoking pot', it doesn't mean they don't know!

Flippin funny I might add....hahahahaha

We used to wander round with copious amounts of Patchoully oil on us and think the same thing ....we called it patch

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
I have never actually used incense to conceal the smell of pot, because fortunately I've got no one to conceal my habits from :smile: It just helps to create a better atmosphere.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Cedar oil can be really good for opening the bronchial tubes supposedly, and adds a nice earthy smell to the house.

You may want to be extra careful with cedar. It contains phenols which cause not only lung irritation but cancer. Mill workers have to wear masks to avoid inhaling it. Phenol is the chemical that makes that lovely smell. It's what kills bugs and why cedar wood is used for making boxes to store clothing.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
You may want to be extra careful with cedar. It contains phenols which cause not only lung irritation but cancer. Mill workers have to wear masks to avoid inhaling it. Phenol is the chemical that makes that lovely smell. It's what kills bugs and why cedar wood is used for making boxes to store clothing.

Yeah, that's not exactly a huge risk when simmering a couple drops of oil in some warm water. But thanks for the info and concern. And, on a side note, anyone working around any sawdust, regardless of species, should be wearing a mask.