DUI in a Wheelchair

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
You can get charged with impaired driving on a bicycle why not a wheelchair, though it sound more like one of those scooter thingies than an actual chair.:roll:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I wonder if you could get arrested for operating an artificial leg while impaired?

WilliamAshley

Electoral Member
Sep 7, 2006
WATERLOO
what you can't get two breaks?

How the hell are you going to get anywhere the guy can't walk, they HAVE to move in the wheelchair, that is total BS.

Of course if the person wasn't needing to be in the wheel chair it is understandable but the charge is not reasonable. Drunk driving is based upon risk to the occupants or other bystanders, that is the spirit, how does a motorized wheelchair pose risk to bystandards, and what other option did the person have but to be mobile, as the wheelchair is their sole means of mobility.

BS.

WilliamAshley

Electoral Member
Sep 7, 2006
WATERLOO
PUBLIC DRUNKENNESS AND DISORDERLY CONDUCT, if indeed the case .. I would not support a DUI.

although it is a motorized vehicle. I really don't think it should apply. Ruining someones life so drastically for such a harmless action is frankly distasteful.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I've seen my share of drunken bicyclers, scooters, and wheel chair operators. For the most part, they get ignored. Until they pose a danger. Being drunk in traffic poses as much danger to yourself and others when you're on a scooter, as it does when you're in a car. If you make someone swerve and roll, it's the same damn thing if you're in a car or on a scooter or a bike when you do it.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Shamefully enough, I rode my bike home completely drunk late one night. At the time my justification was: 1) a warm bed, 2) it was too late for there to be much traffic, 3) only I will get hurt since its a bike.

In the morning it seemed pretty stupid regardless. I was swerving pretty bad. There were only 2 cars that passed me... It could have been trouble if one had been the police.