Self-righteousness

SwitSof

Electoral Member
I have a flatmate who is a devoted Catholic and a person who I suppose seems to see himself enlightened in the politics matters that he is in the know what most don't. Oh plus he's an engineer.
Probably it's true that he knows a lot of things in politics that others don't.

He would listen to a radio station in Austin for example that would announce the "truth" in US politics and the rest of the world's too. He told me that Chavez is hated by the super power countries' leaders cause he gave money to the rest of South America to pay their loans to the World Bank, to build schools, etc. And what most people know of him as being a dictator is rather the propaganda run by the big news companies such as CNN etc. I don't want to discuss about Chavez here so please just leave it in the politics section. It's just an example of an info he reckons he knows of and others don't.

And then we had a debate on the contraception usage as Catholics. I'm a Catholic too actually but my standpoint is if the usage of contraception can prevent abortion, disease transmission, etc. then what is the sin to use it? What is the harm to use the brain God gives to the scientists who can create this kind of technology for example for good use? If it is believed from the moment of conception, there is a soul in an infant so it is murder to do abortion, then why not avoid it before the conception even? It is argued that the Bible says we have to respect every part of our body including the sperm and the egg and that we are supposed to make children. I wonder the Catholic leaders, pastors etc. who are only men would be able to still avoid using contraception when you just had a baby, bleeding to death nearly in the process and couple of months later found out an infant was conceived again unplanned when you are still terified of having a baby not so long ago. It's actually my mum's experience.
And he dared saying to me he can pray for my mum's sins for her to be forgiven. Of course it's so convenient to be on the "right" side when there is no chance for you to commit the sin.

Have you found yourself to preach to people what you know? Do you feel above the others?
Actually it takes a very big person to admit it I suppose...
Well, if you know of a 3rd person who seems to be self-righteous, do they do something about what they know?
I mean, talk is cheap, really! My challenge to these people who think they know more or more moral than others, what would you do to make a difference? Make things better let's say.
Or perhaps preaching others is considered making a difference?
Transmitting knowledge is a good thing indeed.
But to what level one wants to bring this, till the other person converts? His/her faith for example.
Who are you to say you're more righteous? Or your faith is a better one that the other person has to abandon what s/he believed in before?

I am in a ranting mood today...

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Hi.
I come from a Catholic Irish background as well. I'm other nationalties but but my Grandmother was pure Irish from outside Dublin. Your post touched me. It sounds so outrages to me that until recently, I believe condoms were ilegal in Ireland. Your points are well made i might add
cheers

triedit

inimitable
I have a daughter who "found Jesus" a couple of years ago. I say, good for her and all that, but I'm Wiccan and she seems bound and determined to get me to "be saved". Occasionally, when I feel like a good fight, I ask her what she'd like me to be saved FROM. She, and my republican pentacostal brother in law, seem way too worried about what's going to happen to me during "the rapture".

Most of the time I just sit and purse my lips so I don't tell them off. But it really bugs me that some people think other people's religion is wrong. If Im happy and Im not hurting anyone else, what's the problem?

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I couldn't agree more. Ergo, my sig line... which won't show up on this post lolll.

It says "Brother, you can believe in stones, just don't throw them at me."

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
I have a daughter who "found Jesus" a couple of years ago. I say, good for her and all that, but I'm Wiccan and she seems bound and determined to get me to "be saved". Occasionally, when I feel like a good fight, I ask her what she'd like me to be saved FROM. She, and my republican pentacostal brother in law, seem way too worried about what's going to happen to me during "the rapture".

Most of the time I just sit and purse my lips so I don't tell them off. But it really bugs me that some people think other people's religion is wrong. If Im happy and Im not hurting anyone else, what's the problem?

One of my uncles, at the age of 40++, decided to enter a theological seminary, and consequently to become a Christian priest. And I am a Pagan, and I don't keep it a secret from my family. So the last time we had a kind of a family gathering he decided to lecture me on religions, and how bad my religion is. The thing is, it was already after he had quite a lot of brandy. A half-drunk half-priest trying to preach to you - it is something unforgettable :lol: And at New Year's he was kind enough to give me a present - a five-liter bucket of holy water (and I am not joking, and I'm not making that up) :lol: