You Know Your From Surrey BC When.....

Twila
You've had your car broken into for canadian tire money lying on the dash board.
You've had your car broken into, and stolen.
You've had something stolen in the 60 seconds you turned your back on it.
You've had something stolen in the 10 seconds it's taken for you to read this far
One house on your block has fogged up windows and lots of birds sitting on the roof and you exactly know why
You know that Surrey England is also right across the river from Westminster.
You remind other people that Vancouver is the gateway to Surrey
You can buy drugs at gateway station
You know that annoying kid doesn't live in White Rock, he/she lives in South Surrey
You know that Fleetwood, Whalley, Guildford, Newton, Cloverdale, and South Surrey are ONE city
You know "Pattullo" rhymes with "Nuttella"
You know that April 13th is Vaisakhi either because you've been to the parade or you know the roads will be closed in Newton.
Dianne Watts is your role model as the first female mayor of Surrey
When you defend surrey when others make fun of it but you almost completely agree with them
When you have a friend named g-unit
When you can swear and greet people in punjabi regardless of your background
When you've introduced yourself outside of Canada, and been asked "Is it true what they say about those girls"
When you know why diwali is celebrated
You've been to a birthday at Stardust
You're not afraid of terrorism when you see a Hazardous Materials team, you're afraid your bike will get stolen as the street price of meth goes up

Don't get me wrong, I love Surrey. I live here on purpose. There is nothing like seeing the world's different ethnic groups all on your street. Or trying to decide which restaurant to go to Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Afghani, Indian, Pakistani, Greek, Italian, Philipean and there all within walking distance!

talloola
I moved to Vancouver Island, from surrey in l980, and it seems it was 'just in time'. When I moved to
Surrey in l966 it was 'like' moving to the country, (from NewWestminster), we had horses and lots of
vacant land and bushes and fishing spots etc. In l980 all of those things were gone, AND SO WERE WE

Kreskin
I loved playing golf at Guilford and Surrey then going to the Newton Legion to get gassed up. Those were the days. I wouldn't live a week doing what I did twenty years ago.

I lived in New West and my wife is from Surrey. Her mother lives in White Rock (I mean South Surrey).

Twila
Quote:

In l980 all of those things were gone, AND SO WERE WE

Hmmmm, Surrey in the '80's. That would have been an absolute circus! Might have been interesting from a distance.

Pangloss
Surrey went through a difficult rapid growth phase (parts of it still are), but for the most part, it is pretty, diverse and safe. I love bike riding through Surrey.

So there.

Pangloss

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

Hmmmm, Surrey in the '80's. That would have been an absolute circus! Might have been interesting from a distance.

We lived just south of Newton, not far from Bear Creek Park, and during the years we were there,
it was great, Newton Arena was built, Frank Hurt School, and the shopping area in Newton was
small, with just a Super Value for groceries, and lots of small shops. Guildford was just being developed, and that area was still brand new, when I go there now, it's unbelievable what has
happened, where did everybody come from, (nevermind).
I walked all over the Newton area with mykids in tow, as it was very safe and still quite fresh and clean. I have been there a couple of times in the last two years, and it's not nice anymore, too crowded.

Dreadful Nonsense
I lived in richmond in 73 and 74...it was a nice place...whats it like now?

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

I loved playing golf at Guilford and Surrey then going to the Newton Legion to get gassed up. Those were the days. I wouldn't live a week doing what I did twenty years ago.

I lived in New West and my wife is from Surrey. Her mother lives in White Rock (I mean South Surrey).

We played lots of golf at the Guildford course, I like it there. Lots of time in the arenas, as my kids
all played ice hockey, and my husband coached them. Spent years at many of the ball parks all over
Surrey, with my kids. Great memories.

Twila
Quote:

I walked all over the Newton area with mykids in tow, as it was very safe and still quite fresh and clean. I have been there a couple of times in the last two years, and it's not nice anymore, too crowded.

My steptdaughter grew up in Surrey in the '80's. My husband talks about how it was all mostly farm land, but his daughter talks about a very different Surrey. A not so nice one, but she was teenager so that might explain it.....

So you moved to the Island to get away from the crowds then? I grew up on the Island. In Victoria. It's has to be one of the most beautiful cities in Canada, that's for sure.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

My steptdaughter grew up in Surrey in the '80's. My husband talks about how it was all mostly farm land, but his daughter talks about a very different Surrey. A not so nice one, but she was teenager so that might explain it.....

So you moved to the Island to get away from the crowds then? I grew up on the Island. In Victoria. It's has to be one of the most beautiful cities in Canada, that's for sure.

We didn't actually move to 'get away' from everything, it was just a move we all agreed on, and my
husband always loved the island, so here we are. We have never, even once, looked back and regretted our decision. I was a 'little girl' , born in New Westminster, and if my husband had not had the
desire to move here, I would have stayed on the lower mainland for the rest of my life, cause a move like that didn't 'ever' enter my mind, so, I thank him for broadening our horizons, it is wonderful here.
I also brought my mother here from Surrey, she had retired and was living in the senior's high rise
right near Surrey mall, so she spent the rest of her life here with us, and it was good for her too.
And, yes Victoria is very beautiful, my daughter
and I go there a couple of times in the year for a 2 or 3 day getaway to shop and just hang out.