So dead here...

Curiosity
Talloola I miss you and wonder why we feel it is wrong to post on multiple forums?

Are we to understand that loyalty to one forum is mandatory when signing on to a place? Even if some days there are no discussions of interest and we start surfing. Some days I have posted many topics hoping for discussion, but what I enjoy seems of little interest here unless I am doing one-liners and complimenting others for their great ideas.

I have three or four places I visit, post less than I did here at CanCon - and am presently hoping another new forum gets through its agonizing birth due to some hostilities which erupted almost at its inception.

It should be my decision and choice for variety - nothing else.

The new place seems settled now but when I return here I feel I should not post here because I am breaking some unspoken rule. As long as I refrain from negative commentary about any forums would there be a problem? Should there be a problem? A closed society loyal to one only?

Dictatorship should be non-existent on the internet - often our primary source of free speech - public forums - seems to be evolving into a very strictly run, authoritarian mode.

This would be fine if public forums were limited to specific expertise in subject data, but for general conversation, it seems a bit over the top.

I guess forum life is what you need on an individual basis, but limiting one's freedom to explore all 'houses of chat'....seems self defeating.

Constraints actually in real life inhibit one's growth in learning how to express through writing and freedom of thought. If a cyber community operates on restriction of free-flowing ideas, the anxiety level increases, thus cutting of the desire to contribute.

The expectation that one is going to cross over the line is fully delinated when signing on to a forum - which seems a particularly uninviting and negative approach to the high expection that people who join will behave in that manner. Therefore some will. Others will feel the desire to challenge and see how far the rules can be stretched.

I find it demeaning to adults who desire a few hours of companionship and exchange with like-minded people have to pass through all the creative behavioural instructions of things which most of us never realized could actually happen. It's like visiting a restaurant and asking everyone to stand up and swear an oath they will not dance on the table.

MikeyDB
Curiosity

Hey gal ... Great to hear from you....

I spent five years participating on a forum out of British Columbia that was terrific conversation, stimulating counter-point thought and a plethora of personalities and perspectives. It just kind of burned itself out because...well ...people actually do have lives that interfere with their participation in discussion forums...go figure

An atheist site in Colorado was the closest experience I've had on the internet to my idealized forum where a kaleidoscope of perspectives emerging from a passionate embrace of the notion of objective thought coalesced into a nirvana of free-thinking. There wasn't any chat about the minutiae of life, or as the Chinese refer to the drone and static of life-energy...dust. People sharing "holy cow" kinds of thoughts and subtle kind bits of personal experience thriving on the authority of truth and sound judgement.

I don't find that here at Canadian Content. I find rather that participants demonstrate a proclivity to small mindedness and appear eager to reduce the focus to personalities and celebrate the barb and goad as devices employed to elicit response. When that response is either beyond their understanding or offensive, they wonder why....

I frequently chalk that up as one of the attributes of the Canadian forum's identity, a coffeehouse facade with the odor of a gymnasium locker room, where "points" are scored for outrage and artifice while the substance of an issue becomes the story that's used as "carrier" for personal and sometimes mutual self-aggrandizement....

The only thing that keeps me coming back to Canadian Content is some of the people I've "met" here who seem to conceive of themselves and of the totality of existence as existing on a level higher than their personal propensity to pettiness. Exchanges are very often limited or become so oppositional so quickly that the discussion degrades rapidly into name calling and personalizing of insults....offered as "conversation".

I'm going to hang out around CC for a while and see if things change...for the better...if not, I'll take a walkabout across the electro conduit of cyberspace and see what else is going on....

Nice to have your two cents Curio, and for what it's worth, I've missed you and so has my pal....

Curiosity
Thanks MikeyDB

I guess we have to take what we can from each forum - and its membership - we're lucky if we find a few who think and post in ways which make interesting reading or give us a few laughs on a rainy day....

I only complain I feel I am breaking some 'rule' when I post here - probably my own guilt and nothing tangible or written, but I would like to feel free to post on forums which draw my desire to belong...

You have described some interesting forums - but then Mikey you would be bored by anything less....

Hi to your room-mate too! Curio

mabudon
I'm still here, not that anyone would notice

I like these forums quite a bit myself, I've met several very interesting types, gotten a few answers to some questions and the like. I totally think it's more the summer coming up that is slowing things down a touch- lots of folks moving and stuff (Karrie comes to mind) either back home or just plain somwhere else, gardens to tend, all that rot

Plus the news-cycle is "naturally" in line with the TV seasons, nothing good ever comes out in summer eh??

MikeyDB
Hi Mab..

For those fortunate few who don't roll around in a wheelchair or have a life that requires them to recreate....(I used to love camping) the summer holds far more promise outdoors than in...

I'd say your analysis is probably right, but I'm glad you decided to visit us today.

Andem
Quote: Originally Posted by sanctusView Post

Probably not..

What is your forum?

jwv
Quote: Originally Posted by AndemView Post

What is your forum?

We co-admin a small, somewhat new forum called Java Joint-http://javajoint.activeboard.com

Andem
To be clear, Canadian Content has never had a problem with people using other forums nor sharing links with friends and infact we encourage it. Anybody who believes that is just spreading lies and twisting words; funny because it only ever comes from people who hold a grudge.

Nothing can get more boring as to spending all of your time online just one site.

What we do have a problem with is users using our private message and email system to mass-solicit our membership for personal or financial gain. To be clear, spam and the unauthorised use of a computer network for commercial purpose is against many laws both in Canada and the United States.

If you really want proof, I'm sure some woman has sent you a form letter recently insisting you goto some place called raw democracy. Atleast 2 people have sent in reports of the exact same message. Some twit has also sent a similar form message to who knows how many people, which has also been reported. (Thanks to the people who reported; You know who you are).

Everybody wants something for nothing. If you want to use ad-free forums with a large membership, you're gonna have to abide by the rules, which simply state that you should be civil and AVOID using our network (that we pay for) for your own commercial gains.

Curiosity
Chris

You visited Ranters over a year back and personally invited some of us to join CanCon.... which we did. That was solicitation on your part and Cosmo's part too. I doubt if Victory has ever complained about it - and he certainly didn't make an issue of it on the forum itself.....actually some of the members did as I recall....

I thought it was ok to do that everywhere but have since learned it is verbotten.

I don't know about Spam and the e-mail soliciations - but RAW has just started and there no doubt will be many problems to overcome - just as you probably have had with CanCon over the years.

Isn't there room for people to post where they feel most comfortable on certain topics?

I haven't seen anyone badmouthing you and recognize many posters here who post at the other place too....

So in giving people 'permission' to post at the other site, you also give them a caveat about their conduct ....

I just don't get it. Most people on either (or both) forums are using good sense - why do you anticipate problems when there should be none?

mabudon
I believe that rules are rules. I don't think they have to be "justified" or indexed by some moral code.
I kinda thought a few folks were behaving like arseholes publically here, and the problem got dealt with.

But keep pretending that you're only asking innocent questions, I bet you actually believe that. The "clever" attempts to tie up the admin are funny tho.

These schoolyard shenenigans dressed up in earnesty make me laugh EVERY time. Someone should get an honoUrary degree in Sophism and maybe a strawman badge to go along with it

#juan
Just a thought

This is a long weekend. People go away occasionally on long weekends. I just looked in on a couple other forums and they are definitely not what I would call a beehive of activity either, but at the moment, we have more activity than they have.............but who's counting?.....

Kreskin
I had a approval from Cosmo via Andem way back to post my own forum. I did, however in the spirit of decency I made a personal choice to remove it. Promoting my own forum here is free advertising IMO. Getting someone else to do my dirty work lacks a bit of integrity. I'm proud to say I did it the hard way: Placing my site on search engines, coding my site to ensure optimum results etc. It took me a few years of organic growth to become what I envisioned it could become. To have someone now come to my site and get a free advertising ride is BS. I'm sure Andem feels the same way about this site. He's been at it it for years. Lots of blood sweat and tears. To take his hard work for granted and leech from it is classless.

Curiosity
Kreskin - are people leeching by posting on two sites?

I don't have a website to promote..... I don't really have many topics of interest to people either.... but if I shouldn't be posting elsewhere..... I didn't know it was wrong.

I am talking about posting.... not advertising whatever that entails.... SPAM or other sites...... I am discussing being allowed to post on both places.

Andem himself says he belongs to other sites ... whether he posts or not would be his choice right?

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by CuriosityView Post

Kreskin - are people leeching by posting on two sites?

I don't have a website to promote..... I don't really have many topics of interest to people either.... but if I shouldn't be posting elsewhere..... I didn't know it was wrong.

I am talking about posting.... not advertising whatever that entails.... SPAM or other sites...... I am discussing being allowed to post on both places.

Andem himself says he belongs to other sites ... whether he posts or not would be his choice right?

No. One can post anywhere. That is hardly an issue. No one has ever said you can't be a member of another site. It does ask that you not stalk members from forum to forum or cut and paste posts from this site and place them on others. That is asked for to protect the sites and the members of each site. Who wants some *** following you around the internet throwing dirty laundry in at every place you visit? But a concerted effort by admins (or their lackeys) of other sites to spam private messages or post links in signatures or profiles for their personal gain is spam.

Curiosity
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

No. One can post anywhere. That is hardly an issue. No one has ever said you can't be a member of another site. It does ask that you not stalk members from forum to forum or cut and paste posts from this site and place them on others. That is asked for to protect the sites and the members of each site. Who wants some *** following you around the internet throwing dirty laundry in at every place you visit? But a concerted effort by admins (or their lackeys) of other sites to spam private messages or post links in signatures or profiles for their personal gain is spam.

Kreskin

OK - so stalking is out. Good... because I have a couple of whackos who stalk me.... CanCon is a refuge because they don't belong here.

I have no idea how SPAM occurs - I only know when I recognize it and report it to admin when I sign on early in the mornings....stuff often comes in overnight....and I have even done it here on a number of occasions.

I have invited people to RAW .... as have people invited me to take part in other forums as well. I have also invited people on other forums to visit CanCon. Works both ways.

I have no wish to see any forum I like to post on go down or have a problem.... that would be stupid.

westmanguy
I am not so sure about that.

A previous member here on CC (who will not be named), who is on rawdemocracy, has told of a story where they were told to choose between this site and Ranters and was banned for not choosing CC.

Is that a 'lie'?

Curiosity
WMG

You didn't get the whole story WMG....

westmanguy
Ok, then maybe I didn't.

I just find it rather peculiar that An has to go to other forums and well attack other previousv members.

Like self (who is a great person) on raw.

snfu73
Quote: Originally Posted by sanctusView Post

Don't you have to go watch television? Be a good boy and don't bother the adults.

Ouch!

Kreskin
You both know I'm sure that CC is a battering ram everywhere else. If Andem goes once in a blue moon to another forum to defend himself he does that on a ratio of about 1000 slams against him and his site for every post he makes. I would say he's been quite professional in his conduct. I have visited rant and would say Vik has been quite professional in his conduct too. JMHO.

talloola

I hope his health is ok.

I hope so too, maybe he's just away on vacation.

Andem
Curio: The only way CC was promoted at Ranters was because somebody posted a link to a member here they didn't like. If I had ever messaged someone about CC, it was because they were already a member here.

Curio: By all means, feel free to fill west in on the history of manipulation of said ex-member who was "told to choose".

Curiosity
Quote: Originally Posted by AndemView Post

Curio: The only way CC was promoted at Ranters was because somebody posted a link to a member here they didn't like. If I had ever messaged someone about CC, it was because they were already a member here.

Curio: By all means, feel free to fill west in on the history of manipulation of said ex-member who was "told to choose".

Andem

Cosmo joined up and told us where she was a mod... and some of us came over at her invite.... Victory was ok with it I guess... he never said anything.

Nope re filling in Westy... - as much as I'd like to - I'll pass on this one - it isn't worth it haha...

Andem
lmao

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

I hope so too, maybe he's just away on vacation.

I'm wondering if he and Karrie went to Las Vegas?

eh1eh
I've been spending alot of time outside. Yes, the outdoors is there. Now that warm weather has come I've got a garden to work, a pool to open, it's up to 77F and rising. You can see my pond garden here (external - login to view). Please participate in this thread. It's a positive look at a hobby many have, even if it is only a balcony garden, lets see your stuff.

eh1eh

I'm wondering if he and Karrie went to Las Vegas?

I'm sure things will pick up when Karrie gets though with her move. She's a goer.

Curiosity
eh1eh

Agree with you on your kudos to Karrie - she is a prolific and interesting poster and always has good insight into her subjects too.

Hopefully things are going well for her and she'll be back with tales of her moving adventure for us...

She is one of the most consistently pleasant personalities on a forum I have run into in a long time.

gopher
+1
I do not see posts from Dark Beaver or is it my imagination?

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

I do not see posts from Dark Beaver or is it my imagination?

He's been spotty.