Let`s Rant

Twila
How is a child to learn how to show respect if they are not taught? A child is a child. They should show respect until such a time as they can judge for themselves whether the adult/elderly actually deserve it.

Meeshee
Today`s rant.

I hate break happy people. It says 80km/hr on the sign and they are barely moving at 50km. Then they slam on the breaks for about a minute to slow down for a light that is still green and about 1km away.

DRIVE OR TAKE THE DAMN BUS...IDIOT!

Nuggler
Just about the only thing aside from churches and politicians and phot ops and dogs that poop on my lawn, and cats that dig in our garden and kids that have the nerve to talk and dandelions........is......the old fart ahead of me in a crowded supermarket line.

I hear the cashier say "that'll be $1.98 eh", and my heart sinks. Cause, I KNOW the old bastard is going into his wallet or her purse and slowly count out every goddam cent, every 98 of em. And we wait, cause he/she ain't got 98 in the purse per se (pun eh), and has to look everyplace on their old, smelly body to find the money. This takes about 5 LONG minutes while we sweat, look up, look down, try not to reach for the 9mm, shuffle.................gawd damn sh@t...........argh (external - login to view)hhhhhhh.

Then you know that when it comes your turn, if you pay in cash, you are going to get some of their .98 back in change; covered in mints, lints, catsh@t.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH. That's my rant. Pretty petty eh?!! But, that's just me.

And Colpy: I once told a nun to go to the back of the line when she tried to butt in ahead of the poor old lady in front of me...............(true)............Then I gave the old lady 98 cents so she wouldn't piss me off....................

Have a ranty day.

Uggly n reeely old.

Meeshee
LMAO that is the funniest thing I heard all day. Thanks for sharing...haha.

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by oldnuglyView Post

And Colpy: I once told a nun to go to the back of the line when she tried to butt in ahead of the poor old lady in front of me...............(true)............Then I gave the old lady 98 cents so she wouldn't piss me off....................

Do you always carry exactly 98 cents to keep the old farts moving in the line?

talloola
[quote=Zzarchov;837143]About the race card not being played in Canada, to that I call shennanigans.

Among the younger generation no, it is not played. But my Grandma, rest her in peace she was a good person. Honestly believed south asians (not the term she used, though she meant no malice) had a natural odor about them that reeked. She had many other theories, but patronizing all of them.
Yeah, I found lots of prejudices from my grandparents/parents too, they were immigrants to this
country, but they didn't teach me to be prejudice,(I taught them, NOT to be), they taught me to say thank you, please, excuse me, proper english. The immigrants grew up very prejudice to each other whereever they lived,
I always noticed that, Canada was a good place for them to learn, that is not appreciated or
tolerated.

And thats common, thats just among close family, among those pleasant older folks I have met many times, especially when working midnights retail, (one meets the early birds) I got such delightful comments as "I only come in the mornings cause I want to deal with proper canadians, not those paki's during the day".
I also noticed most times, that the older folks, (my relatives), didn't even realize that they were saying 'prejudice' things, it had to be brought to their attention. They grew up 'trashing' each other,
but it wasn't to be hurtful, it was natural for them, they all seemed to be so narrow minded about
each other, it was the way they were raised, and I see that 'still' in those countries.

I also think the baby boomer generation doesn't really deserve any praise for existing, if anything they deserve quite a bit of scorn for taking the ample opportunities the greatest generation laid out, and squandering them.
These great accomplishments such as a pyramid scheme retirement plan Im forced to pay into, knowing it is physically impossible for it to work when I retire. Stalling on all the great works started by the war generation (hows our space program going? Disarment? anything?)
So, do you think all of those plans were started, knowing they would hurt 'YOU', but did them anyway?

Oh, and the glorious sacrifices the baby boomers had to make, like introducing rampant drug culture into our society.
When I was a teenager, (l951-l959), there was no drug problems in our country'
Drugs came in the Beatle era, and I wonder if there is a rock band in
history who weren't full of drugs, they can't seem to exist without being high on something, I have
no respect for that way of life at all. I am high on 'life', enjoy all of everyday, and have never ever
taken more than an aspirin.

With the exception of pot, the hard drugs of the world, comes into north america from other countries, and why aren't people stronger and more prideful about themselves. I will never
understand why anyone would want to ruin their lives by putting drugs into their bodies, and if people refused to take drugs the ones who push it into the country, wouldn't have a 'job'.

I mean, the war generation got shot at, but the baby boomers..they had to smoke pot and make drug use a cultural norm.

So forgive me, but I don't see any use catering, (you shouldn't cater to anyone) to people who by and large, are statistically worse people (ie, the youth violence rates in their day, hate crimes, and ratio of sex offenders)
The youth crime, is thousands of times higher now. Any hate crimes, I find, live in the immigrant
population, and travel from one to the other. For the most part the prejudice in this country, (by
people like myself, born here), goes toward the 'first nations'. I think we take pride in enjoying
our multi culturism, at least I do. But, even I get impatient with immigrants who 'bring' their
prejudices and hate into Canada with them, then live that lifestyle here.

You don't get respect for just "existing" if you want respect, earn it. If you want some youth to respect you, treat them with respect.
For children to be treated with respect, they first have to be TAUGHT to be respectful, or it will be
a never ending circle of rudeness.

People general respond to such treatment. But no one is going to treat you special because you managed to survive longer.
I didn't imply any such thing.

Some of the most childish immature brats I have ever met were in their 70's. They stole, swore, lied through their teeth and were generally malicious.
And the rude, disrespectful, lying children are most likely their offspring or grandchildren, and they
weren't taught to treat others with respect at a young age, where it matters most.

That said I have met many inspiring people in that same age category. So with the two extremes, im gonna have to keep judging people on who they are and their actions, not how long they have stayed alive

And, when you have children, (if you haven't yet), teach them to be kind, respectful, well spoken,
honest, and they will grow up to be fine adults.

Nuggler
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

Do you always carry exactly 98 cents to keep the old farts moving in the line?

Indeed, it seems with the demise of the paper one and two dollar bill, I tend to walk leaning slightly to one side due to all the change in my pocket, so the chances of having .98 are pretty good. In fact, I once offered an old lady a loonie as she was digging for about .80 cents, and she said; "your place or mine"...............win win situation.

People ask me if I'm physically challenged, and I reply; "that too."

If long life is going to be my gift, I shall soon be in the "digging for change" club. When this happens I am going to enjoy every minute in the supermarket/drug store/whatever, line. Turn around and cackle..............."I'm SURE I got 52 cents here somewheres",....................
Gonna be FUN!!!!

Nugly

Zan
CuteN'Ugg,

I hope you're with us for a loooong time, this whole planet just wouldn't be the same without ya!!

ps... if I slip you a twonie when you're digging for change and you say "your place or mine" will you be up for it?

I should get off the comp now... I'm just makin trouble every where I go today...

Zzarchov
Talloola, Youth violence rates are alot lower with the current generation than the Baby boomers.

You can see a pretty big drop off after the last of the baby boomers left their "crime prone years" in the mid 90's. The drop off in violent crime is pretty staggering, so is the spike in crime the baby boomers caused from the 60's until then (the emergence of the first baby boomers hitting their crime prone years)

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by ZzarchovView Post

Talloola, Youth violence rates are alot lower with the current generation than the Baby boomers.

You can see a pretty big drop off after the last of the baby boomers left their "crime prone years" in the mid 90's. The drop off in violent crime is pretty staggering, so is the spike in crime the baby boomers caused from the 60's until then (the emergence of the first baby boomers hitting their crime prone years)

What year do you consider a baby boomer, as they were born immediately after world war
two, so that would be l946 - l952, approx, so that puts them well into their forties in 1993.
So they would have been 12 to 25 during the years l958 to l977 approx.
Why do you think the drop off happened.
What does the graph look like between l958 and l973?

Zzarchov
The baby boomer generation is generally held between 1946 - 1964

In the mid 90's the last of them left "prime crime" age, which usually drops off at 30.

Other charts show a spike in the late 50's that holds steady till the mid 90's, but they aren't labelled as clearly.

talloola

The baby boomer generation is generally held between 1946 - 1964

In the mid 90's the last of them left "prime crime" age, which usually drops off at 30.

Other charts show a spike in the late 50's that holds steady till the mid 90's, but they aren't labelled as clearly.

That's amazing, as my first two daughters were born in l961 and l963, and they were never referred to, as 'baby boomers'. I don't really agree with that analogy.
I think someone was tampering with those stats somewhere along the way, cause that's a long time
after the war, doesn't make sense.

Oh, and by the way, none of my daughters ever committed a crime, my goodness, those naughty
naughty baby boomers, can't take that seriously at all.

And, I don't believe in looking back and whining about the behavior of others, as every generation
has it's meaning and happenings, and we could all look back and criticize what
they didn't do right, but seems to me, we should take advantage of what they did right, and work
hard to improve on the weaknesses, that is the responsibility of each generation. Can you imagine what the kids will be saying about Bush and his abuse of almost everyone he touched, including his own military, but what is done is done, now the u.s. has to take hold of their strength as a
democracy and the power of the people must speak, and help their country heal from the mistakes
of their administration.

Where did this conversation start, oh yeah, the behavior of children.

Teach them well, they are our future, always.

Zzarchov
While 1964 is quite aways after the war, little less than 20 years, it is the years in which the war generation was pumping out the most kids in the post war boom.

And while it is quite likely your two daughters never committed a crime, lets remember here thats still only around 50 out of 1000, thats 5%. So you'd need twenty kids to have a "guaranteed" violent offender.

Now the rate is lower, at about 2%.

So people born in the late 60's till now are less than half as violent as people born from the mid 40's to mid 60's.

A major problem is the "media misconception", Things get more media attention now than previously, so it seems like actual crime is up.

Meeshee

While 1964 is quite aways after the war, little less than 20 years, it is the years in which the war generation was pumping out the most kids in the post war boom.

And while it is quite likely your two daughters never committed a crime, lets remember here thats still only around 50 out of 1000, thats 5%. So you'd need twenty kids to have a "guaranteed" violent offender.

Now the rate is lower, at about 2%.

So people born in the late 60's till now are less than half as violent as people born from the mid 40's to mid 60's.

A major problem is the "media misconception", Things get more media attention now than previously, so it seems like actual crime is up.

That is really interesting Zzarchov.