Land Carvings

Libra Girl
#1
Gee I hope I've put this in the right forum... Can anyone help me solve a mystery? I've tried everything I can think of to find information on this.

I picked up these two pictures on a website, (not a clue which now) about a year ago. I was searching for land carvings, drawings etc. There was very little information on the carving if memory serves me, and I believe that 'her' name is either Elena, or Montana. And I probably included her in my findings because I have an Aunt, and also a niece named Montana. Of course it could be that the mountain is in Montana, or, perhaps the Mountain is named Mount Elena. I simply don't know.

The other thing I would solicit opinion on is that I rather think that this may not be a carving of a girl at all, but rather a kind of 'stylistic' carving of an animal, perhaps a lion or a dog. If anyone knows of this carving and it's history I'd be grateful for any input on her, it, whatever. Thanks in anticipation.










Ok, I already realised how silly the title is, but I don't know how to change it. lol
Last edited by Libra Girl; May 4th, 2007 at 01:29 PM..
 
karrie
#2
Quote: Originally Posted by Libra GirlView Post

Gee I hope I've put this in the right forum... Can anyone help me solve a mystery? I've tried everything I can think of to find information on this.

I picked up these two pictures on a website, (not a clue which now) about a year ago. I was searching for land carvings, drawings etc. There was very little information on the carving if memory serves me, and I believe that 'her' name is either Elena, or Montana. And I probably included her in my findings because I have an Aunt, and also a niece named Montana. Of course it could be that the mountain is in Montana, or, perhaps the Mountain is named Mount Elena. I simply don't know.

The other thing I would solicit opinion on is that I rather think that this may not be a carving of a girl at all, but rather a kind of 'stylistic' carving of an animal, perhaps a lion or a dog. If anyone knows of this carving and it's history I'd be grateful for any input on her, it, whatever. Thanks in anticipation.






Ok, I already realised how silly the title is, but I don't know how to change it. lol

Most land carving's I've seen are more clearly defined than that, and don't rely on trees to define things like eyes. To me, and it may just be me, it looks simply like a clearing in the trees that happens to sort of look like it could be a) a woman, b) a dog howling. Natural formations that look like familiar objects happen all the time. I live at the foot of a hill every one calls 'Indian head', because it looks remarkably like a First Nations cheif, staring up at the sky. You'd almost swear someone carved it out. It even has a lone stand of trees, which perfectly define his eye. It's very neat, but, not a human creation.
 
El Barto
#3
Its a she dog there cover all your bases......
What was the question? Oh you may have to live with it dear....lol
 
Libra Girl
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

Most land carving's I've seen are more clearly defined than that, and don't rely on trees to define things like eyes. To me, and it may just be me, it looks simply like a clearing in the trees that happens to sort of look like it could be a) a woman, b) a dog howling. Natural formations that look like familiar objects happen all the time. I live at the foot of a hill every one calls 'Indian head', because it looks remarkably like a First Nations cheif, staring up at the sky. You'd almost swear someone carved it out. It even has a lone stand of trees, which perfectly define his eye. It's very neat, but, not a human creation.

Ordinarily I would agree with you karrie, but the website was related to land carvings, and I do remember that the write up was, although vague, a summary of just that, a carving.
 
Libra Girl
#5
I'm sorry for the size of the pics, which make identification difficult.
 
#juan
#6
Is that better?....
 
El Barto
#7
If it was "help Wanted " I would of applied for the job.
 
Pangloss
#8
Libra:

The word that comes to mind is simulacrum.

Cool word, and I guess the one that fits here.

Pangloss.
 
karrie
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Libra GirlView Post

Ordinarily I would agree with you karrie, but the website was related to land carvings, and I do remember that the write up was, although vague, a summary of just that, a carving.

If written up by an anthropologist or archaeologist, then they'd totally know. But, beware taking websites as gospel truths.
 
Libra Girl
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by PanglossView Post

Libra:

The word that comes to mind is simulacrum.

Cool word, and I guess the one that fits here.

Pangloss.

Maybe...
 
Libra Girl
#11
Thank you yuan.
 
TenPenny
#12
I think it's a dalmation.
 
Curiosity
#13
Libra Girl

There is a Helena Montana..... I know that has nothing to do with your question but it is the kind of answer I often use - worth nothing.... sorry.
 
Libra Girl
#14
Thanks curio, yes I know of Helena... it isn't the answer I was looking for, but I hardly think that anyone would find any post of yours 'worth nothing.' Gotta be summat wrong with them if they do.
 
Curiosity
#15
Libra - forgot to say the pictures are breathtaking - I would love to see them from the air....
 
Dexter Sinister
#16
It's called pareidolia. (external - login to view)
 
Pangloss
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

It's called pareidolia. (external - login to view)

What an awesomely cool word. Still figuring out how to pronounce it. Similar to simulacrum but much more precise.

Thanks, DS.

Pangloss
 
Deafening Silence
#18
I would suggest psychiatric help. Really! Have a psychiatrist hypnotize you and ask you what the name of the site was where you found the pictures. If that doesn't help, you can use the rest of your session to cure everything else that's wrong with you.

Or you can just stand next to me and look perfect right now.
 
Libra Girl
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by Deafening SilenceView Post

I would suggest psychiatric help. Really! Have a psychiatrist hypnotize you and ask you what the name of the site was where you found the pictures. If that doesn't help, you can use the rest of your session to cure everything else that's wrong with you.

Or you can just stand next to me and look perfect right now.

Or, a better idea would be that you take my place on the couch, in order to cure your vastly pompous delusions of grandiose.

Say, it didn't take me that long 'Deafening Silence,' did it?
 
Deafening Silence
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by Libra GirlView Post

Or, a better idea would be that you take my place on the couch, in order to cure your vastly pompous delusions of grandiose.

Say, it didn't take me that long 'Deafening Silence,' did it?

Even a better idea, let's share a couch! You didn’t think the king of Google was going to let you down did you? The artworks are called Land Art or Earthworks. Here are some links where you can look for your picture. I only have dialup so I don’t have time.


www.earthworks.org/links.html (external - login to view)

www.artlex.com/ArtLex/e/earthart.html (external - login to view)

www.daringdesigns.com/earthworks.htm (external - login to view)

ludb.clui.org/tag/Land+Art/ (external - login to view)

this last one is an official list and if you click next on the top of the page it will continue and show the next page and the next until you have seen all of them. So, there you have it. All I want in return is a big hug... for now...
Last edited by Deafening Silence; May 11th, 2007 at 12:06 PM..Reason: cause I can never do anything right the first time
 
Libra Girl
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by Deafening SilenceView Post

Even a better idea, let's share a couch! You didn’t think the king of Google was going to let you down did you? The artworks are called Land Art or Earthworks. Here are some links where you can look for your picture. I only have dialup so I don’t have time.


www.earthworks.org/links.html (external - login to view)

www.artlex.com/ArtLex/e/earthart.html (external - login to view)

www.daringdesigns.com/earthworks.htm (external - login to view)

ludb.clui.org/tag/Land+Art/ (external - login to view)

this last one is an official list and if you click next on the top of the page it will continue and show the next page and the next until you have seen all of them. So, there you have it. All I want in return is a big hug... for now...

lol. I might have known that if anyone could find it it would have been you. Should have come straight to the er... horses mouth initially.

Thanks DS.

oops... forgot. *Big Hugs*
 

Similar Threads

2
Crown Land is Public Land here
by dumpthemonarchy | Apr 20th, 2009
29
The Land of Plenty
by darkbeaver | Feb 26th, 2006
15
Jo Canadian Carvings
by Jo Canadian | Dec 11th, 2005
8
Will she ever land
by Twila | Sep 26th, 2005
no new posts