Japanese fooled in poodle scam

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Thousands of Japanese have been swindled in a scam in which they were sold Australian and British sheep and told they were poodles.

Flocks of sheep were imported to Japan and then sold by a company called Poodles as Pets, marketed as fashionable accessories, available at $1,600 each.

That is a snip compared to a real poodle which retails for twice that much in Japan.

The scam was uncovered when Japanese moviestar Maiko Kawamaki went on a talk-show and wondered why her new pet would not bark or eat dog food.

She was crestfallen when told it was a sheep.

Then hundreds of other women got in touch with police to say they feared their new "poodle" was also a sheep.

One couple said they became suspicious when they took their "dog" to have its claws trimmed and were told it had hooves.

Japanese police believe there could be 2,000 people affected by the scam, which operated in Sapporo and capitalised on the fact that sheep are rare in Japan, so many do not know what they look like.

"We launched an investigation after we were made aware that a company were selling sheep as poodles," Japanese police said, the The Sun reported.

"Sadly we think there is more than one company operating in this way.

"The sheep are believed to have been imported from overseas - Britain, Australia."

Many of the sheep have now been donated to zoos and farms.

©AAP 2007

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
This is incredible! Even as newly born puppies one could never mistake a poodle for a baby lamb or sheep! How could the new owners have not known? Don't they have poodles in Japan? Never mind, they have dogs; there is a vast difference between a paw pad and a hoof for heavens sake!

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
I've just googled the article where it further states that sheep are rare in Japan, and therefore the misconception could have arisen. One has to ponder the fact though, that if one can afford $1,600 for a poodle, surely one has enough of an educated background and life experience, that would make it impossible for one to be conned by such a thing as this.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:xYooo serr us sheee as a pooooder..........We serr yoooo lotten sushi.........YOU DIE........LOUND EYE.!!!

BANZAI!!!:angryfire:

DON BEEREEVE STOLLY, SOLLY, SOUND FONNY, FONEY, BURSH@T!!

Think Sanctus sclape bottom o barrer fo dis one.

Ah........choo.8O??

Reactions: Libra Girl

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
:xYooo serr us sheee as a pooooder..........We serr yoooo lotten sushi.........YOU DIE........LOUND EYE.!!!

BANZAI!!!:angryfire:

DON BEEREEVE STOLLY, SOLLY, SOUND FONNY, FONEY, BURSH@T!!

Think Sanctus sclape bottom o barrer fo dis one.

Ah........choo.8O??

lol. Very funny post. However, I googled the article and apparently it appears to be true. Weird.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Too bad! I wanted this story to be true. I think we all want to believe there are other people out there who are more stupid than we are.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Too bad! I wanted this story to be true. I think we all want to believe there are other people out there who are more stupid than we are.

Sounded like a hoax/urban regend from the getgo.

As far as "more stupid", check out the dickheads who support George W.

Casus restus............;-)