Camel sits on, kills woman

sanctus

Associated Press

WEWAHITCHKA -- An owner of an exotic animal farm has died after being kicked and then sat on by a camel.

Cathie Ake and the 4-year-old camel were being filmed by a local television station on Sunday when the camel kicked her and then sat down during a break in filming. The station was doing a story on Mini-Akers Exotic Animals, the 15-acre farm Ake owned with her husband.

Cathie Ake's husband, Donnie Ake, said he would find a new home for Polo, the camel, The News Herald of Panama City reported Tuesday. He believes the 1,800-pound animal was agitated by mating season.

The couple bought the camel at an auction three weeks ago and kept him in a 50 foot by 80 foot pen.

``My wife did a lot of rescue,'' Donnie Ake said. ``She wouldn't let an animal suffer.

``We might not have food in the house, but she made sure they had something to eat.''

A reporter called 9-1-1 when Ake fell under the camel.

``To be honest with you, I don't think there's much that she could have done,'' said Gulf County Sheriff Dalton Upchurch.

A deputy and paramedics moved the camel and recovered Cathie Ake's body.

Donnie Ake said he believes his wife either suffocated or was crushed by the animal. The Akes started their exotic animal farm nearly 10 years ago.

tamarin
I'm surprised by a couple of things:
1) the film crew didn't try to rescue the owner
2) someone there didn't film it all and post it on YouTube

lysyfacet
ouch...definitely the worst way of dieing. I always say, if u're gonna die young...make sure u die doing something rememberable. Getting killed by a camel...well thats just odd.

Good point, why isn't it filmed and put on YouTube?

north49guy
Quote: Originally Posted by tamarinView Post

Exactly what i was thinking!

Nuggler
Well, ok, you've just been kicked by this ungrateful camel you rescued.

You're lying on the ground, trying to regain your senses.

You see a huge camel anus approaching from the general area of up above.

You know that at least you're not going to die with your head up your OWN arsehole.

mmmmmmmmmf mfffffffffff gettttttmffffffffffffff offffffffff mffffff............................

eh1eh

Ummm, I would search youtube periodiclly, as you just never know.

tamarin
Eheh, you're right there!

sanctus
Quote: Originally Posted by lysyfacetView Post

ouch...definitely the worst way of dieing. I always say, if u're gonna die young...make sure u die doing something rememberable. Getting killed by a camel...well thats just odd.

Good point, why isn't it filmed and put on YouTube?

I'm sure it can be found somewhere!

Libra Girl

Very perceptive tamarin... I might have jumped in yesterday, but, having burnt my typing fingers a couple of times, the last being the poodle/sheep farce, I'm a little more er... savvy now. lol

Libra Girl
Quote: Originally Posted by sanctusView Post

I'm sure it can be found somewhere!

I don't doubt that for one second... it's a whacky world out there. But, this one? Nah...

lysyfacet
Quote: Originally Posted by Libra GirlView Post

I don't doubt that for one second... it's a whacky world out there. But, this one? Nah...

you never know...you can almost get anything these days off the internet.