Summer tires

Walter
I just took the winters off and put on the all-seasons(really just 3 seasons). I hope I'm not being too optimistic here in south-central Ontario.

hermanntrude
the whole winter-seasons tire thing was a surprise to me. I didnt know there was such a thing until I came here. also it upsets me to see it spelt with an i.

eh1eh
If you live in the city and don't really go anywhere then winter tires are reduundent. I have never put snow tires on my vehicles, even going to my cottage in Bancroft Ontario, 12 months a year. Never got stuck or anything, but I'm just bragging.

L Gilbert
I only have winters. But, then sometimes I'm driving in places where summers or "all-seasons" would sit and spin.

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

the whole winter-seasons tire thing was a surprise to me. I didnt know there was such a thing until I came here. also it upsets me to see it spelt with an i.

British spelling can be tyre-ing. LOL

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

I only have winters. But, then sometimes I'm driving in places where summers or "all-seasons" would sit and spin.

You need some chains for winter.

L Gilbert
I have chains, haven't needed them. Besides, I'm not going to get out and wade through shindeep mud to put chains on when I get stuck because I'm using summers instead of just cruising through the stuff with winters. Thanks for the thought, though.

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

I have chains, haven't needed them. Besides, I'm not going to get out and wade through shindeep mud to put chains on when I get stuck because I'm using summers instead of just cruising through the stuff with winters. Thanks for the thought, though.

The cahins are for when the winter tyres fail you. I know in the US when they close the road due to snow they will often let you through if you put chains on.

lysyfacet
i dunno...as far as i go, the tires aren't really the big issue, as long as they have tread you should be fine, atleast here in the city. Now it all depends on the driver, if you know how to handle ur vehicle then you in most cases won't fall into problems on the road. Now there are tones of myths and stories where winter tires are much much better...which could be true, but i wouldn't rely my driving on my tires.

temperance
I have noticed tires and cars over the last ten years have changed

1. weight of the car for traction
2 the cheap *** tire

3 winter tire is a marketing sales thing
I swear they started making all season not so all season so they could promote the WINTER TIRE

like we all need 2 sets of tires

**** ,I just had a great business idea

I could open a place to store and change your winter tires twice a year ,oh my ,the sun today has really got my brain working

yes you can come to the "tire store in go " at a pre determined time each year and your tires will be there waiting stored re valved maybe --

I'm on a roll

Walter
Winter tires are made of a different rubber compound thatn al-season tires. Below 7 degrees celcius winter tires have better traction because the rubber remains softer than all-seaon tires. In cold weather all-season tires become very hard and don't grip the road very well. It is foolish not to use winter tires in the cold weather.

lysyfacet
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

It is foolish not to use winter tires in the cold weather.

i am foolish...hehe