Must be Spring!

#juan
This morning we had four deer in our yard and the hummingbirds were at their feeder. This is usually a sign that Winter is over. Aside from that, we have clear blue sky and sunshine. Other indicators, like the Snowdrops, and Crocuses, and Daffodils, are not reliable signs because they will grow up through snow. This is the real thing........I hope

Zan
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

This is the real thing........I hope

loll Juan... ya, spring has been playing coy with us out here too... it's looking springish and sunny today... for now.

hermanntrude
I'm really excited at the prospect of hummingbirds. I only found out yesterday that they exist this far north. I bought a book on alberta birds... there are some wonderful things to see this summer i think.

Hummingbirds are purely native to the americas and so nothing like them exists in the UK, except the hummingbird moth, which is smaller but fills the same evolutionary niche. I've always wanted to see the real thing

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by ZanView Post

loll Juan... ya, spring has been playing coy with us out here too... it's looking springish and sunny today... for now.

It is the middle of April.....and we do have global warming...don't we? Only places like Calgary get snow in April....

L Gilbert
0930 hours here and it is already 12 and sunny. Nice day. I'll go see if my hyacinths and croci are up, plant some poppies, etc.

L Gilbert

It is the middle of April.....and we do have global warming...don't we? Only places like Calgary get snow in April....

............. and June. lmao.

hermanntrude
I was checking the weather network's statistical reports. It seems there is snow reported for every month of the year here in edmonton.

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

I'm really excited at the prospect of hummingbirds. I only found out yesterday that they exist this far north. I bought a book on alberta birds... there are some wonderful things to see this summer i think.

Hummingbirds are purely native to the americas and so nothing like them exists in the UK, except the hummingbird moth, which is smaller but fills the same evolutionary niche. I've always wanted to see the real thing

Yeah, nifty little buggers but they have this attack dive (or so it seems like) when you are out sitting near the feeders. You hear this humming getting closer and closer then a small gust of wind brushes you then the humming gets quieter.

Zan

I wish. The evil spreads north to Edmonton too.

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

I was checking the weather network's statistical reports. It seems there is snow reported for every month of the year here in edmonton.

We haven't been through most of the months this year yet, Herm.

Oh, you mean snow is forecasted .........

hermanntrude
I mean it has been recorded in the past that snow has fallen in every month, although probably not consecutively

hermanntrude
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Yeah, nifty little buggers but they have this attack dive (or so it seems like) when you are out sitting near the feeders. You hear this humming getting closer and closer then a small gust of wind brushes you then the humming gets quieter.

I'd love to see that

Kreskin

This morning we had four deer in our yard and the hummingbirds were at their feeder. This is usually a sign that Winter is over. Aside from that, we have clear blue sky and sunshine. Other indicators, like the Snowdrops, and Crocuses, and Daffodils, are not reliable signs because they will grow up through snow. This is the real thing........I hope

Did you get any hail yesterday? It sure came down up here for a while.

hermanntrude

This was in the book as a ruby-throated humming bird. I didnt have any ruby-throated paper though

Kreskin
My rhodos look like they're about to bloom.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

Did you get any hail yesterday? It sure came down up here for a while.

Nah....down in the sunny South we don't get that kind of stuff.....I wish....

Hail is one thing we haven't had yet.....crossing my fingers..

hermanntrude
the peace river has finally broken up at the 58th parrallel. Which means all access to the town where my wife works is by plane until the barge can cross

edit: they found out that the river was breaking up because someone went through. Fortunately for them the water was so shallow they walked to shore.

Tonington
Hermann, when I worked at the provincial camping park, there were many visiters that we in the administration building and the maintenance building would have the pleasure of. Heres one that visited quite regularly:

They were quite tame, but understandably edgy, sudden movements spook them.

#juan
Well done..!

hermanntrude
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Hermann, when I worked at the provincial camping park, there were many visiters that we in the administration building and the maintenance building would have the pleasure of. Heres one that visited quite regularly:

They were quite tame, but understandably edgy, sudden movements spook them.

i'm getting one of those feeders. Any edmontonians onoine able to tell me when to expect the birds to arrive?