The Online Disinhibition Effect

L Gilbert
I've met 2 people from forums. Been friends with a fella in Montreal for about 10 years. I even wired him some money for his kids' present when he had a hard time near a Christmas once. The other I met just last year.

talloola
Well, Curiosity, I must never let you and my husband in the same room, then mention ICE CREAM, as he is a slave to it, and 'luckily' with no particular effort, I don't really like it much,
so I have saved him from working his way into those size 38 pants and 'up' if he were left to his
vices. He is Italian, and ALL food seems to be their enemy, at least on the scales.
I must be honest with you re: this board. I still feel like an outsider, 'different', and don't know
if I will ever feel confident that I belong, I delete complete posts from time to time, BUT,
something brings me back each day, so I will hang around hoping that I improve with age,
or maybe I will get fed up with 'myself' and just disappear, no sure yet. For the time being
I am enjoying myself, and everyone else here, (well, almost everyone).

Curiosity
LG Ice Cream!!!

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

I have a friend over here who does this constantly, according to him he's been all over the planet fixing everything from helicopters to problems with massive hydroelectric projects. His family has been around here for at least a hundred years and so have other families. Trouble with Bud's stories is that memebers of other families say he's rarely been out of BC and has only ever been as far as Alberta. We were discussing that one time saying he's a good fella because he only ever tells lies about himself and he's funny. He happened to hear that and spouted, "So I'm a legend in my own mind?" He got a good laugh outta that.
So no-one really cares whether he's done what he says including him. He's got a good imagination, is a fair to good mechanic, and is entertaining.
As far as forums and chatrooms go, the longer people post, the more their character shows anyway, right? If they have a good character and are entertaining, who cares whether they tell lies about themselves?
I don't like ice cream that much, but I do like sherbet a lot. Lime sherbet the most.
Curio, sherbet's better than ice cream.

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
A priceless story, and yes, you are right, what harm has it done, none at all,as he hasn't hurt anyone else, and it's so funny that he 'laughed' at himself over this as well, seems
like an interesting guy.
By the way, I like sherbet too, it has that little 'zing' in the flavour, and it's not
so creamy and thick as ice cream.

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

if I will ever feel confident that I belong,..........

I think you're doin fine.

Curiosity

Well, Curiosity, I must never let you and my husband in the same room, then mention ICE CREAM, as he is a slave to it, and 'luckily' with no particular effort, I don't really like it much,
so I have saved him from working his way into those size 38 pants and 'up' if he were left to his
vices. He is Italian, and ALL food seems to be their enemy, at least on the scales.
I must be honest with you re: this board. I still feel like an outsider, 'different', and don't know
if I will ever feel confident that I belong, I delete complete posts from time to time, BUT,
something brings me back each day, so I will hang around hoping that I improve with age,
or maybe I will get fed up with 'myself' and just disappear, no sure yet. For the time being
I am enjoying myself, and everyone else here, (well, almost everyone).

Talloola
I see you as one of the saner people here and I enjoy all your posts - you are level and kind and speak / write so well in describing your feelings about the various topics.

Maybe the right topic hasn't shown up yet for you to hit your stride.....you wrote about owning a Chocolate Lab right? Those are my favs (along with Golden Retrievers) and I know dog lovers enjoy have a thread to boast about their best buddies in the four legged world.

I think of you as totally belonging - you could try having a great fight with someone to test out if you want to be here or not ... that's always a good decider hahaha.... but to be so level headed and survive on forums such as this takes a strong personality which I see you having.

Maybe just start up a thread you want to see dicussed....something you really loathe or totally love.... but which brings up the passion in you. Westmanguy has passion by the boatload....and it is what gets him into trouble all the time.... but I love his passion...and the fact he doesn't let all the battering change his thoughts....He has taken it on a number of topics in the past few days and you gotta give him credit for courage....

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by CuriosityView Post

LG Ice Cream!!!

...... isn't as good as sherbet.

hermanntrude

I can't imagine people pretending they are someone other than themselves, and I would be the
first to 'believe' whatever they say, unless, of course it was preposterous information. I take
people at their word, and if they are giving me the runaround, it really is their problem, it doesn't
effect me at all in the end, as they are only hurting themselves. Have others had experiences like
this, that you know of, and do you think there are some who live a fake internet life
on this board.!!!!
Another thing I am curious about, I wonder, after time has gone by, how many people actually
'meet' others they have talked to on boards such as these.

I've met two people from cancon. Although one was someone's spouse rather than someone actually ON cancon. There are at least 4 others i'd meet if I ever happened to be in the same part of the world as them

Tonington
For the most part what I post are my immediate thoughts when somone piques my interest. There is some inhibition on my part, sometimes I get a little excited and write out a response only to think better of it before I hit submit. Like when I realize I don't know what I'm talking about, and the fact that my brain can run wild sometimes.

The community here is very diverse and I'm glad that we can be so open on some subjects, though the disinhibition is definitely a merit in many circumstances. I have to agree with DarkBeaver, that there is a balance between the two and that is a good thing.

talloola
When I first started posting, I did get very upset when Sanctus came on, and other religious
conversations, and I vented many frustrations, which I obviously had built up over a number of
years, and had not actually, (other than my husband,) said to anyone. I must have sounded like
an idiot, but as I got it all out, and at the same time began to 'know' Sanctus, the situation
definitely changed, I can see the subject much more objectively now, and I don't have those
feelings of 'hate' now. It was very therapeutic for me, and has taught me much about myself.
Far too many things going around in my head, that don't get discussed with anyone else, as I
said before, my husband is not a person who likes to discuss 'detail', things to him are simple,
and he isn't interested in the 'why's and wherefors', like I am. It's my own fault for not making
'real life' friends to chat with, so this is a start for me.

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

For the most part what I post are my immediate thoughts when somone piques my interest. There is some inhibition on my part, sometimes I get a little excited and write out a response only to think better of it before I hit submit. Like when I realize I don't know what I'm talking about, and the fact that my brain can run wild sometimes.

That's where it's nice to be able to laugh at yourself. You can lookit yer post the next day, chuckle, and think. "Whatta idjit".

Tall, you did seem to have a chip on your shoulder about religions, but like I said in the other thread, you're doing fine.

hermanntrude

When I first started posting, I did get very upset when Sanctus came on, and other religious
conversations, and I vented many frustrations, which I obviously had built up over a number of
years, and had not actually, (other than my husband,) said to anyone. I must have sounded like
an idiot, but as I got it all out, and at the same time began to 'know' Sanctus, the situation
definitely changed, I can see the subject much more objectively now, and I don't have those
feelings of 'hate' now. It was very therapeutic for me, and has taught me much about myself.

I think that happened with a few people. I tried arguing with sanctus too when I first arrived, and realised later I was rather impertinent and not helping at all. There are several posts in the various catholic threads I hope no-one ever reads again. Sanctus is a good teacher. He may even be right, who knows?

L Gilbert
Re: ^ I think so anyway.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

I think that happened with a few people. I tried arguing with sanctus too when I first arrived, and realised later I was rather impertinent and not helping at all. There are several posts in the various catholic threads I hope no-one ever reads again. Sanctus is a good teacher. He may even be right, who knows?

Yes that's right, he is a good person, very intelligent and informative, and open minded, and I was still living in the past, (as a little girl in catholic school), when priests were
stern and authoratative and the 'boss', so I had to move on out of that mind set, and fast
forward to the present, and he has taken lots of **** from many people, and remains a
strong presence on this board, and I have a lot of respect for him, and you, I might add.

darkbeaver
I'm a secret admirerer of Sanctus, don't tell him. He serves me well, his strength of character is enormous. While we will always have differences of opinion that is not enough reason to deny his humane treatment of all. He's not right all the time but pretty damn close.

L Gilbert
Yeah, he's an ok dood inspite of the religious mythery and fooferaw.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Yeah, he's an ok dood inspite of the religious mythery and fooferaw.

Yeah, Gil we are still the minority, but climbing. I wonder what the world will be like, many years from now when religion is almost a thing of the past, and the atheists, with
their/our logical minds, are ruling the world.

L Gilbert
Perhaps it'll be a more "reason"able world. lol (I crack me up sometimes).

selfactivated
Sanctus and I are having a torrid affair.........Sorry Padre I just couldnt keep it a secret any long *sigh*

And Id meet ANY of you in real life.....just remember though Im a nutcase

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by selfactivatedView Post

Sanctus and I are having a torrid affair.........Sorry Padre I just couldnt keep it a secret any long *sigh*

Hey Self any time you want a nut case contest I'm up for it, you may have credentials but I'm an as yet undiscovered genius nutcase, possibly the nutcase of the century.
Last edited by darkbeaver; Apr 18th, 2007 at 05:16 PM..Reason: stupid englih language

selfactivated
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

Hey Self any time you want a nut case contest I'm up for it, you may have credentials but I'm an as yet undiscovered genius nutcase, possibly the nutcase of the century.

Ive been at it since birth........you'd loose

eh1eh

At least you're diognosed. Unlike some here.

selfactivated
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

LOL yes and im painfully public about it too lol

darkbeaver

Ive been at it since birth........you'd loose

I was born before you, so I win.

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

I'm self diagnosed not thee Self but myself.

selfactivated

I was born before you, so I win.

Which life?

darkbeaver

Which life?

The chronological one. I have a charted position and a time of arrival in writeing with a stamp that puts me in this part of the spacetime thingy exactly eleven years three months twenty-two days and thirty-seven minutes and nine seconds before you. I sorry Self but I'v been a nutcase longer than you have. I didn't say I was a better nut case just an older one.

s243a
Wow! The Disinhibition Effect seems in full force on this thread.

darkbeaver
hahahahahaha

selfactivated

The chronological one. I have a charted position and a time of arrival in writeing with a stamp that puts me in this part of the spacetime thingy exactly eleven years three months twenty-two days and thirty-seven minutes and nine seconds before you. I sorry Self but I'v been a nutcase longer than you have. I didn't say I was a better nut case just an older one.

I concede........night