Energy retrofit ??

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
Today we have a gentleman coming to do a energy retrofit audit --I have a slight clue as to what he will do but does anyone have more ?? Can anyone explain the process or what he will look for ?? have you had it done ??

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Before you agree to have any work done make sure you go over it carefully.

Depending on what kind of place you live in, there will be several key things:
First killer for heating is air infiltration. Through walls, around doors, windows, etc etc.
Insulation is next; walls and ceiling/roofs are very important.
Heating system is important to make sure it's running efficiently/effectively (but many people will propose expensive solutions that don't result in much improvements)
Don't necessarily get sucked into replacing doors and windows, worry about infiltration first.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Today we have a gentleman coming to do a energy retrofit audit --I have a slight clue as to what he will do but does anyone have more ?? Can anyone explain the process or what he will look for ?? have you had it done ??

Yes like TenPenny says the air is the worst part of heat loss. Maybe a couple of tubes of caulking will do it. If air is comming in around windows then maybe you don't need new ones but just to take off the trim and seal up the frames.

Last edited:

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
Oh my what fun ,300 bucks later ,no no ,we are part of a study testing housing in this area to see how we measure up only paid 150.00--government seems to want us to keep using electricity we want to start with solar --hot water heater first

OK did the door blower test -
Air leakage is about 1/3 of heat loss of house and it is uncomfortable.
Blower door test will find what kind of leaks your house has.
The test will be like a 20 mph wind on all sides of the house. did 40 kms here
A large fan is sealed into an outside door and air is blown out of the house
Seems upstairs the previous owners did a fine job insulating but forget to seal the vapor barrier (plastic )--lol

What the guy did ,check the fridge its only 3 years old ,we don't use a big stove in kitchen ,just a small size counter top oven microwave and electric heat :)tard:)

gave us a 6 pack of light bulbs ,tide cold water ,and a drying rack?-- said the program feds just axed for energy retrofit was a sham --the highest anyone ever got for the audit was 2700. that person spent 100,000--lol and 100.00 on the testing --of course they will see the money back in about 100 years --lol
No previous incentives exist Cons axed the whole program --

Question taping around sockets and doors with barrier (over insulation ) wasn't that a normal thing to do --why did the previous owners not do that they went to great lengths to insulate ??

Now we need to take all drywall and stuff off to re-tape --lol ---I want to move --lol
I couldn't keep track of all the holes in the one side of the house --it worked out to be the size of two open doors -lol

Again big thing to keep our electric heating --um whats with that ??

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
The house has two parts --

main house was log covered around 70 with some kinda board white -very well insulated with mud like and stuff --lol in sulation upstairs
brick concrete foundation put in later on
no insulation down there its about 6 feet high --you see old logs
hardwood throughly in bad shape , roof is shingled now don't know whats under there
we had tentant for 3 months gone fore ever now pain in the butt we opened the two sides up --each side is about 2000 square feet --each has 1 bedroom 1 bath
the other side was a summer kitchen changed into a apt --
sitting on ground
insulation lots but poor done job
new window --2 years
I smell mold since the blower test in the bathroom
upstairs is just tall enough not to stand up straight (they must have been short lol ) too bad 1 foot off to use same with basement other side 1 foot too small --silly people --or no money
roof is metal --:happy11:

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
In winter or for winter months could I saran wrap the house --l,ol

is there such a thing --seasonal house wrap --lol

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
The funny thing is the main house that is log is very well insulated accourding to Mr. retrofit

he advises us to remove all drywall paneling in upper floor of un;logged part and redo barrier taping and sealing in the insulation

The testing and the knolwelege you gain (where the holes are) is very valuable ,the cost is a wee bit to high -

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
The funny thing is the main house that is log is very well insulated accourding to Mr. retrofit

he advises us to remove all drywall paneling in upper floor of un;logged part and redo barrier taping and sealing in the insulation

The testing and the knolwelege you gain (where the holes are) is very valuable ,the cost is a wee bit to high -
did I understand right , that your house was built in 1970?

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
No it was built --log part(walls are 4feet thick easy ) was 1910 summer kitchen 1940 renovated 1980 -1995---

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
How much does it cost you to heat a year? wow 4 feet thick, have to see pictuers of that.
Have you ever done the candle test when it is blowing outside? Around the windows , out let stuff like that?