Personality traits

Said1
Just curious, how important is sense of humor? That is, if you're single, how high is that on list of character traits in a potential boyfriend/girlfriend and why?

tracy
I think it's #1. I just can't love someone who doesn't laugh.

AmberEyes
Quote: Originally Posted by Said1View Post

Just curious, how important is sense of humor? That is, if you're single, how high is that on list of character traits in a potential boyfriend/girlfriend and why?

Probably in the middle for me. I find that traits like intelligence and common sense are a higher priority, as well as ambition (a decent job) and respect. I wouldn't want to date a man who had no sense of humor, though. I tend to tease a lot.. a sense of humor is needed for that.

Said1
ooops

Said1
I don't t hink they necessarily have to make me laugh, just laugh at my jokes.

I've done the low ambition and iq thing.Boo. he sure was fun though.

Alexander
#1 priority is kindness. A kind girl will laugh at your jokes even if they aren't funny.
A sense of humour is a bit lower on the totem pole, because female humour often involves sarcasm and I hate sarcasm.

Said1
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexanderView Post

#1 priority is kindness. A kind girl will laugh at your jokes even if they aren't funny.
A sense of humour is a bit lower on the totem pole, because female humour often involves sarcasm and I hate sarcasm.

What do you prefer, sight gags?

If it's not funny, I don't laugh. I enjoy the ackward silence. <------ sarcasm.

Seriously though, I would prefer kindness as well; someone who is good natured and easy going.

El Barto
or well medicated 'o'

Alexander

What do you prefer, sight gags?

If it's not funny, I don't laugh. I enjoy the ackward silence. <------ sarcasm.

Seriously though, I would prefer kindness as well; someone who is good natured and easy going.

Irony.
If awkward silence counts as sarcasm then I guess I have some exceptions. I usually find sarcasm to be rude... probably because I often take it seriously / personally.

Said1
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexanderView Post

Irony.
If awkward silence counts as sarcasm then I guess I have some exceptions. I usually find sarcasm to be rude... probably because I often take it seriously / personally.

The remark was sarcasm. There was no enjoyable awkward silence. I'm sensing one now though. Heh. Heh?

El Barto
you know a sense of humour masks fustrations hmmmmmm silence?

Said1
Quote: Originally Posted by El BartoView Post

you know a sense of humour masks fustrations hmmmmmm silence?

Sometimes it does. Other people enjoy laughing. If you can't laugh at your problems, then what's the point?

El Barto
its sad not to have problems then no? Oh what the hell playfullness gets me in all the time.
that spark of life

darkbeaver
I think a sence of humour is important in a partner and deep devotion, loyalty,blind obedience, a good job,preferably a professional, so I can continue to live above my means, culinary skills, stunning
cuddlyness, and strength for farm work.

El Barto
Borat you lol

Said1

its sad not to have problems then no? Oh what the hell playfullness gets me in all the time.
that spark of life

Somethings are out of your control, or when looking back, it's nice to laugh and say 'wtf was I thinking'. Some people take themselves too seriously, that's boring.

El Barto
Then my life must be a joke lol

Said1

Then my life must be a joke lol

It could be worse. You could be Britney Spears, but with no money.

Said1
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

I think a sence of humour is important in a partner and deep devotion, loyalty,blind obedience, a good job,preferably a professional, so I can continue to live above my means, culinary skills, stunning
cuddlyness, and strength for farm work.

I agree. A strong back is very important trait in a woman. No one scooped you up yet?

El Barto
oh you know how to cheer up a guy

El Barto

I agree. A strong back is very important trait in a woman. No one scooped you up yet?

your right women do sarcasm very well

Dexter Sinister
Well, according to Cosmopolitan* magazine's surveys (an unimpeachable source, of course), the top three things women want in a man are, in order of importance:

1. a sense of humour
2. money
3. good looks.

But somehow I can't help thinking that if you've got #2 and #3, your stupid jokes are going to be a lot funnier.

*What a dreadful rag that magazine is. Shed those unwanted brains! How to catch a man! How to be happy without a man! 27 sex moves that'll blow his mind and make him beg for more! It's not that complicated, ladies. Just show up and get naked.

Vereya
Quote: Originally Posted by AmberEyesView Post

Probably in the middle for me. I find that traits like intelligence and common sense are a higher priority, as well as ambition (a decent job) and respect. I wouldn't want to date a man who had no sense of humor, though. I tend to tease a lot.. a sense of humor is needed for that.

I will agree with Amber. Intelligence, common sense, and ambition. As for sense of humor, it depends on the kind of sense of humor that a person's got. I find that for a lot of people sense of humor means laughing AT someone, instead of sharing a joke and laughing WITH someone. I don't really like this kind of thing. It might be silly, but that is also the reason I hardly ever watch comedies - I don't enjoy seeing someone make a fool of hiself, find himself in an embarrassing position, and having everyone laugh at him. And I don't enjou this kind of thing in real life, I just don't find someone's embarrassement funny.
Laughing at yourself is quite another thing, though. Everyone needs a touch of self-irony, to keep you down-to-earth. But very often this feeling is quite misleading, when we turn some fault of ours that is really a hindrance into a joke, and when we start laughing at it, instead of correcting it.

Vereya
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

*What a dreadful rag that magazine is. Shed those unwanted brains! How to catch a man! How to be happy without a man! 27 sex moves that'll blow his mind and make him beg for more! It's not that complicated, ladies. Just show up and get naked.

Those girls' magazines are something, to be sure! I was looking through one of them recently, and I came across an article, that was called something like "Most important questions on sex", or something of the kind. And one of the questions was - how many calories are there in sperm? THAT really made me laugh. Such a question would've never occured to me. But then, maybe I just don't care that much about fitness?

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

Well, according to Cosmopolitan* magazine's surveys (an unimpeachable source, of course), the top three things women want in a man are, in order of importance:

1. a sense of humour
2. money
3. good looks.

But somehow I can't help thinking that if you've got #2 and #3, your stupid jokes are going to be a lot funnier.

ROTFLMFFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to some, I'm grating. Does that make my wife cheesy, cause she loves me???

temperance
Cosmopolitan --you are quoting Cosmo

the mag that once ran a near-nude centerfold of a then little-known actor named Burt Renolds April 1972. It was a scandalous move for the time. The issue created great controversy, propelling both Cosmopolitan and Reynolds to the forefront of American popular culture wasn't first

I hear men secretly read the mag and have for years

Why wasn't money first ??--oh right we have are own money --lol --

CND B And no your wife is not cheesy cause she loves you --because you most likely love her right back

A thought :do you think women dress, primp and adorn themselves for men --well guess what its not about men its competition with other women men are merely a bonus --lol

El Barto
oh a sort of female pissing contest?

missile
Question: If a sense of humour is so important to women, then why are most of the comedians single or divorced?

El Barto
you know how to throw a wrench into things don't you lol

temperance
Female pissing contest --lol ok good assimilation --lol

Because they arent really that funny off stage remeber Carey --he was seen as a egotistic meany but a real hoot