the top person in the university

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I had an email recently on my old university account (i worked at this particular university for two years as a postdoc). It said that they expected i already knew but some total stranger was retiring and i was invited to his party. I replied saying i couldn't come because a) i didnt know him and b) i live and work in canada now.

I got a reply sternly telling me that he's "the top guy in the university". it made me wonder a few things. Is he the top guy in that he does the most work? or he earns the most? or has the silliest costume at the graduation? How can it be possible that I worked at the university for two years and never knew the name of the chancellor, or probably vice chancellor, since chancellors are usually ceremonial only.

Are all universities like this? should it be changed? should we maybe have less of these nameless faceless people and more actual useful work?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Hmmm, that's a good question. I don't know much about how that aspect of the university works, maybe the Chancellor/President is really good at schmoozing and sucking up donations from Alum's, or corporate sponsors/donations.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
So don't go.
Reminds me of a cousin of mine once though. He was a mechanic (retired now) but one busy summer day when there were 7 or 8 vehicles in line to get repaired, some dork walks into shop and asked to see the mechanic, Dave says from under someone's hood or something, "what can I do for you". The fella saysthat he wanted his car fixed. Dave said that he's quite busy but he'd jot it down in the book. The fella got a wee bit pushy and said, "You don't seem to understand. I need my car repaired right now". Dave doesn't push, so he said that the guy'd have to get at the back of the line. The guy said," Do you know what I drive. It's a Rolls". Dave looked out at the guy and said,"I don't care if you're driving a 747, get at the end of the line". About everyone nearly died laughing. Pompous ass turned red and stomped out.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I always thought that if you owned a Rolls-Royce you had to have one of their mechanics fix you up, or is that a load of donkey dung?