Dead pets give birth to diamond ring

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com

LONDON (AFP) - Sue Rogers will never be without her dead dogs and cat after having a diamond ring made from their ashes.
Rogers, from Devon in southwest England, paid 3,200 pounds (4,800 euros, 6,238 dollars) for the ring made from carbon extracted from the ashes of Lucky, an old English sheepdog, a golden retriever cross called Sam and a tom cat, Patch, a newspaper said Saturday.
"I am delighted with my ring as it means I can have my pets with me at all times," Rogers told the Daily Mail newspaper.
"My animals meant the world to me and even though they are gone they are still with me. It's a beautiful ring and such a brilliant idea."
Rogers, 44, had previously kept the ashes of her pets on her mantelpiece until she learnt of LifeGem UK, which makes diamonds from the remains of humans and pets.
A small amount of carbon from each set of ashes was heated at temperatures of 3,000 degrees Celsius to help make a rough diamond.
The stone was then polished and certified before being set in a gold band.

Copyright © 2007 Agence France Presse.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I heard about this last year. I swear people have more money than sense. I dont think for one second we can save the world but how many hungry kids could she feed with that? Personal choice I guess.

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
I heard about this last year. I swear people have more money than sense. I dont think for one second we can save the world but how many hungry kids could she feed with that? Personal choice I guess.

Indeed! Imagine just how much good each of us can do in our own neighbourhoods! If my hsuband were to die, I'd don't think I'd feel comfortable having his ashes turned into a piece of jewellery for myself. Sounds rather ghoulish, don't you think?

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I have my sons ashes here. But Im going to release them with family in november. Im just not ready to let him go yet. BUT theres no way in hell Id wear him on my finger! He'd be thumping me on the head harder than he already is!

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
I have my sons ashes here. But Im going to release them with family in november. Im just not ready to let him go yet. BUT theres no way in hell Id wear him on my finger! He'd be thumping me on the head harder than he already is!

Why November?

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
because my sis can take time then. I need her with me.

I still cannot understand how you do it. I can't even begin to imagine how I would feel if it was my son. We've only the one boy, and two girls. Well, I should say men and women now! All married and living their own lives, until they need sitters, then we end up with the grandkids!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
If one is going to wear part of a dead pet as jewelry, why not be honest about it. How about a nice necklace made of the animal's preserved teeth or claws.....better yet, wear one or more of the smaller bones through the nose, or through the ears. This is already fashionable in some parts of the world. Be a lot cheaper than making gemstones from the ashes.

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
If one is going to wear part of a dead pet as jewelry, why not be honest about it. How about a nice necklace made of the animal's preserved teeth or claws.....better yet, wear one or more of the smaller bones through the nose, or through the ears. This is already fashionable in some parts of the world. Be a lot cheaper than making gemstones from the ashes.

oh for sure! some people make their animals into little people and hey, i like animals and all that, but they are just animals. my neighbour dresses her dog up in outfits and talks to it like its her baby. very weird.