The Sickness of Canadian Anti-Americanism

RomSpaceKnight
If you lived next door to a loud a somewhat obnoxious and pushy neighbour you would at times have some inkind things to say. This would not stop you from giving him assistance in times of need ala 9/11 planes and passengers and Afghanistan. Question, if Canadian planes were hijacked would Bush and buddies let other Canadian planes land in states as we did? I doubt it.

To GWB lead the world in to a better future, follow the example of non-aligned countries or get the f@#$ out of the way of the UN and others.

Sparrow
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDBView Post

Sparrow

I agree but I'd support lending aid in an emergency to anyone whether they're American or not. I would endorse providing that aid because the blood that flows inside those people is red...not red white and blue.... they are people first and Americans second. I see it this way but many Americans would have you believe they're Americans first and human beings second...

Of course I agree 100%, we are our brother's keepers and must help.

selfactivated
Im going to say this again......WE didnt re-elect him. I KNOW this in my heart of hearts if there was an HONEST election he would not be there.

This whole thing makes me cry.....why? Because on the large scale you have a right to hate us, we're weak and lost and have no idea HOW to regain our true hearts and colors.

BUT on a one to one basis you are so off. As people we are kind and world thinkers (we want to be citizens of a world) We like everyone else want Peace of life.

gopher
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

A million and a half dead Iraqis and three million refugees dayly terrorized, and a threatening power mad planet smashing war machine controlled by the most corrupt regime on the planet and you dare mention hypocrisy. This time last year you asked us to consider the iraqis phonex riseing from the desert, get real.

Great post!

TomG
Answers:

What has the US done to me? Called me baby killer. Discriminated against me for jobs among both the public and private employers. Allowed the theft of a family trust by legal means. I was a native born volunteer for active military service 1962-1966. You donít want to know the details. Iím not alone in any of this. Many had similar experiences.

What did I do? Went back to school where I became aware of what my former country did in Vietnam and generally. What my former country did was unacceptable to me and continues to be unacceptable. I found a place that attracted me far more than my former country and came here. I became a Canadian citizen as soon as possible and renounced my US citizenship at that time, and since I wasnít believed, I again renounced it more than 20 years later. Without knowing it I only came back to where art of my family came from.

How have I contributed to my community since then? Presently, I volunteer to serve on my local library board and my local volunteer firefighters. In the past I put most of my savings into a sound and lighting company and staged quality events for community groups. At many of these events people from other countries stood before me and told of atrocities they experienced and how conditions of life became impossible. You donít want to know the details, but I heard the words and seen the truths written on their faces. Nobody is told of these things unless they are able to listen and understand. I listen. Truth is found in the details and the truth takes work. But you donít want to know the details.

People who have experienced atrocities have the truth. They are the details. I only have second-hand truth. But people have stood before me. I can tell you about countries where nobody in the country-side eats pork--because pigs eat the corpses. I can tell of countries where children arenít named until they are five--so death wonít hear of them. I can tell of mothers who toured the world with their list of 10,000 disappeared (their children), and they ask only Ďwhere are they.í Of course everybody knew where they were and also why. I also could tell of people Iíve known who carryout the dark business of nation that is tritely called wet-work. They are the details too and they pay a price for their calling. I worked at a large US Army rehab hospital one summer. All the patients were missing one of more limbs. I imagine they eventually experienced job discrimination as did I.

The truth is in the details, and people with truth say very little about it. I only carry their stories, and itís a burden Iíd rather be without. None of us say much. There is no use to baying at the moonómuch as has been done in most of this thread. Truth isnít to be found in words. Itís in the details.

Question: Does anti-American mean the people or government? Nation states are not biological entities that have friends and enemies or experience love, hate or fear. Nation states do not live by moral or ethical codes or have any humanity what so ever. They are organizations. America is a construct of the American people. There is little use in laying blame certainly not on an organization. I cannot however exonerate the American people. It is their government and they bear responsibility for what it does. I cannot exonerate the people because they donít want to know the details. Few Americans question how the power and prosperity that is so cherished was earned and is now maintained. Few Americans would be told if they actually asked. To be told, you must change you lives, and to do that you must atone before you can know of the details.

I met an American last summer who had broken down on the highway that runs through the middle of nowhere at our camp near where we live. I took him to where he could telephone for assistance. I offered him hospitality. He helped me work on a shed while we waited. It was pleasant. God it was hard. Another truth is that there is no reliable moral guidance for things that havenít been experienced. In my experience, I could not condemn him as I may have wanted to. I do not bay at the moon nor do I pass judgment on what I have not experienced.

Americans should recognize that the baying at the moon weíve heard here is a baying where friendship remains possible. People who have the truth donít talk about it. There is a price to be paid before the truth can be heard and the price gets higher the longer itís delayed. Anti-Americanism in Canada mostly is the baying at the moon among estranged friends Canada too must atone and pay a price.

The price must be paid, because eventually truth becomes unaffordable--and then thereís only the wait. The wait is perhaps what I could tell you a close up of a womanís head looks like when the top of it was blown off by a charge set by a special squad. A detail is that special squads are funded by the US. Learn how to pay the price and pay it now. I do not care for a world where such truths prevail and I do not wish to carry the burden of such details. I do wish such burden even though my truths are all too easy second-hand ones. I paid a price but not a high enough one, and I have yet to have persons from the American gulags stand before me. Americans must assume responsibility for their government because it is them. Americans cannot assume that responsibility from within gated communities or gated nations. Nobody will talk to you. I barely am able to do so.

Colpy
I posted this before, but it seems appropriate:

Quote:

Sitting together on a train, traveling through the Canadian Rockies,were an American guy, a Canadian guy, a little old Greek lady, and
a young blonde girl with large breasts.
The train goes into a dark tunnel and a few seconds later there is the sound of a loud slap. When the rain emerges from the tunnel, the American has a bright red hand print on his cheek.

No one speaks.

The little old Greek lady thinks: The American guy must have groped the blonde in the dark and she slapped his cheek.

The blonde girl thinks: That American guy must have tried to grope me in the dark, but missed and fondled the old lady and she slapped his cheek.

The American thinks: The Canadian guy must have groped the blonde in the dark. She tried
to slap him but missed and got me instead.

The Canadian thinks:
I can't wait for another tunnel, just so I can smack the American again.

Now THAT'S Canadian!

The reason it is funny is because there is truth in it..............no reason to attack, it is just that damned Americaness.....

Our problem with America and Americans is mostly an inferiority complex.......not unusual in a mouse that sleeps with an elephant.

Curiosity
Quote: Originally Posted by TomGView Post

Answers:
What has the US done to me? Called me baby killer. Discriminated against me for jobs among both the public and private employers. Allowed the theft of a family trust by legal means. I was a native born volunteer for active military service 1962-1966. You don’t want to know the details. I’m not alone in any of this. Many had similar experiences.
What did I do? Went back to school where I became aware of what my former country did in Vietnam and generally. What my former country did was unacceptable to me and continues to be unacceptable. I found a place that attracted me far more than my former country and came here. I became a Canadian citizen as soon as possible and renounced my US citizenship at that time, and since I wasn’t believed, I again renounced it more than 20 years later. Without knowing it I only came back to where art of my family came from.
How have I contributed to my community since then? Presently, I volunteer to serve on my local library board and my local volunteer firefighters. In the past I put most of my savings into a sound and lighting company and staged quality events for community groups. At many of these events people from...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
Tom - if you feel that way about the U.S. you did the right thing - Canada welcomes those who had a bad experience in 'Nam.

Think you are a bit over the top in your condemnation of the U.S. if you had a bad time there - better you did move on......

No need to go on - lots of people change countries for reasons of their own. Canada has great possibilities for all who love her..... no need to damn your former nation....do you think that makes you a "better Canadian"????

Colpy
Quote: Originally Posted by RomSpaceKnightView Post

If you lived next door to a loud a somewhat obnoxious and pushy neighbour you would at times have some inkind things to say. This would not stop you from giving him assistance in times of need ala 9/11 planes and passengers and Afghanistan. Question, if Canadian planes were hijacked would Bush and buddies let other Canadian planes land in states as we did? I doubt it.

To GWB lead the world in to a better future, follow the example of non-aligned countries or get the f@#$ out of the way of the UN and others.

And when eastern Canada was crippled after the ice storm, with people cut off, no power.......a real disaster.......who provided helicopters, military personel, generators, medical aid, etc?

Here's a hint.....it WASN"T Iran. Or China. Or any European country.

MikeyDB
Our experiences are uncomfortably similar Tom.

Wonderful to "hear" you've worked at and been successful if I may be so bold..as to extricate your spirit from the morass of culpability misjudgment and fraud we have suffered at the hands of people content to embrace lies.

Peace my friend.
Last edited by MikeyDB; Feb 6th, 2007 at 10:57 AM..Reason: Turns out there's an e on the end of peace

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

I posted this before, but it seems appropriate:

The reason it is funny is because there is truth in it..............no reason to attack, it is just that damned Americaness.....

Our problem with America and Americans is mostly an inferiority complex.......not unusual in a mouse that sleeps with an elephant.

Of all the posters here I would say that you have the full blown inferiority complex.

darkbeaver

And when eastern Canada was crippled after the ice storm, with people cut off, no power.......a real disaster.......who provided helicopters, military personel, generators, medical aid, etc?

Here's a hint.....it WASN"T Iran. Or China. Or any European country.

The power was cut off to them.

MikeyDB
Yes Colpy and I had friends go to Florida and Louisiana to help those folk after their tragedy...people help people because we are all in this mess together...

I wouln't not-help anyone because their government is corrupt, their society lacks depth or their philosophies differ from my own...

By the same token I wouldn't feel it my right responsibility and duty to go murder a bunch of people who've done me no harm...

darkbeaver
Anti-Americanism is a sign of healthy thinking and not a disease. To be aware of the empires crimes against humanity and still support its gluttonous bottomless greed is evil and counter to all that is good
and right.

Curiosity
Again - What have the people in the U.S. done to Canadians?

This hodge podge of personal stories in sum seem to conclude that there is indeed hatred of "Americans" by the people of Canada....

In sum and witness of many of these posts, we can arrive at one conclusion......and whatever the
reason here is.... other than what the U.S. does on its own - is insufficient to Canadians to gain
their "favor"..... whatever that means.

I would have guessed the softwood trade imbalance, waste and non-payment for energy as one poster continues to bring up, landing 9/11 flights through Canadian airspace and on Canadian land....as per the NORAD instructions by a Canadian Director that day....none of these were mentioned.....

Many returning veterans were spit on and reviled and are still hesitant to mention their service in VietNam, but they stayed home and didn't hi-tail it across the border either.
My Canadian uncle lost his leg in 'Nam but didn't have anything bad to say about his time spent serving with the U.S. forces ..... never had a negative and never will.

Rude and arrogant? My god you can get that anywhere folk.....people react to how you present yourselves.... oh I guess you knew that.

Ergo..... same old same old...... the words never change.... just get dressed up in different outfits.

Edit: I guess I should mention - because Google love anything demarking Hatred for the United States, this thread at Canadian Content has made it to their illustrious links regarding the topic....
Last edited by Curiosity; Feb 6th, 2007 at 11:15 AM..

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by CuriosityView Post

Again - What have the people in the U.S. done to Canadians?

This hodge podge of personal stories in sum seem to conclude that there is indeed hatred of "Americans" by the people of Canada....

In sum and witness of many of these posts, we can arrive at one conclusion......and whatever the
reason here is.... other than what the U.S. does on its own - is insufficient to Canadians to gain
their "favor"..... whatever that means.

I would have guessed the softwood trade imbalance, waste and non-payment for energy as one poster continues to bring up, landing 9/11 flights through Canadian airspace and on Canadian land....as per the NORAD instructions by a Canadian Director that day....none of these were mentioned.....

Rude and arrogant? My god you can get that anywhere folk.....people react to how you present yourselves.... oh I guess you knew that.

Ergo..... same old same old...... the words never change.... just get dressed up in different outfits.

What you do to one you do to all.

jimmoyer
Listen to all this moral turpitude, all this righteousness from a very nice country
which unfortunately has enough guts to field 300 soldiers to Darfur and then
argue over whether they should do even that, much less take the lead on the matter of Darfur
to put the blood and guts of their own sons and daughters to match their mouths.

I love Canada. I love their bravery in Afghanistan taking the crap that their erstwhile
morally superior European nations don't.

I lived summers on the Rideau lake chain, starting off near Seely's Bay and
Cranberry Lake in Ontario.

darkbeaver
Sudan-- two million deaths resulted from Sudan's 18 year "civil war", which is tied into securing control over oil reserves.

Curiosity
Beaver

How is your taking this topic lightly and insulting people for trying to work things through making an improvement on the situation.

Do you prefer to focus hate on people .... as a good reason for your existence in this world. Would you rather hate and seek to understand?

Your contributions to this topic have been minimal...but your cheering section are drooling with delight....

What a dark dark world you live in.

MikeyDB
The geneis of this thread Jim was the observation that many Canadians are Anti-American. This invitation to expansion came from an American. A brave thing to do. You can fume and sputter all you like Jim that's your right, but if you think there aren't legitimate grievances behind why some feel the way they do, you deny them their truth and their experience of reality. Is that an American attribute or is it the machinations of the prejudiced?

A person of conviction seeks understanding and perhaps compromise...a bigot blinded by prejudice seeks silence or acquiescence...

darkbeaver
The Congo (1998-2000) and the Sudan were US sponsored "civil wars" two years of war in the Congo caused an estimated 3.8 million, mostly from starvation and disease.

Colpy

Sudan-- two million deaths resulted from Sudan's 18 year "civil war", which is tied into securing control over oil reserves.

Yeah.....for CHINA!

Surprize! Not evertything in the world is the fault of the USA.

Look at the link......oil companies involved in Sudan in 2002......not a Yank among them.........the biggest is CHINESE (who are blocking any intervention) and yes, there is Talisman....from CANADA!

www.hrw.org/reports/2003/sudan1103/2.htm (external - login to view)

darkbeaver

Beaver

How is your taking this topic lightly and insulting people for trying to work things through making an improvement on the situation.

Do you prefer to focus hate on people .... as a good reason for your existence in this world. Would you rather hate and seek to understand?

Your contributions to this topic have been minimal...but your cheering section are drooling with delight....

What a dark dark world you live in.

No body contributes more hate and destruction than american wall street lovers and thier mindless gutless followers.

darkbeaver

Yeah.....for CHINA!

Surprize! Not evertything in the world is the fault of the USA.

Look at the link......oil companies involved in Sudan in 2002......not a Yank among them.........the biggest is CHINESE (who are blocking any intervention) and yes, there is Talisman....from CANADA!

www.hrw.org/reports/2003/sudan1103/2.htm (external - login to view)

The southern rebels were financed for two decades by America.

darkbeaver
I believe Talisman has sold its interests in the Sudan.

Curiosity
Gee Beaver - I have to go to work now.... ever heard of working for a living?

Oh - I guess you have your own church and real followers? I can see the black robe and pointy hat.
Beaver intoning his one liners to the gawking minions.....

Church of the Dark Light and Overturned Empty Grail!

Colpy

The southern rebels were financed for two decades by America.

Yes, because they were largely Christian, resisting genocide and slavery by Muslim loonies.............

Unfortunately, the Americans didn't help enough.

darkbeaver
Rwanda (1994-1995) 500,000-1,000,000 "civil war" and genocide Recent reports confirm that the US and Britain played a key role in triggering the ethnic violence.

darkbeaver

Gee Beaver - I have to go to work now.... ever heard of working for a living?

Oh - I guess you have your own church and real followers? I can see the black robe and pointy hat.
Beaver intoning his one liners to the gawking minions.....

Church of the Dark Light and Overturned Empty Grail!

Wipe the froth of your face before you go out.

Colpy
Quote:

I believe Talisman has sold its interests in the Sudan.

true. But they were there, and were only pushed out by stockholder and gov't disgust at their actions.........

Quote:

Rwanda (1994-1995) 500,000-1,000,000 "civil war" and genocide Recent reports confirm that the US and Britain played a key role in triggering the ethnic violence.

First of all, that lovely peaceloving nation France was the one sheltering and encouraging Hutus.

Second of all, I doubt the truth of the statement completely. Source?

thirdly, what the heck does this have to do with Sudan?

Colpy

Of all the posters here I would say that you have the full blown inferiority complex.

Me?

I'm pretty comfy with who I am.

I don't need to pretend to be morally superior.