There's no place like home ...so long as it's not Britain

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
BRITAIN has come only 37th in a league of the world's best places to live, behind Panama, Mexico and Argentina.

Its relatively poor standing was blamed on its bad weather, high cost of living, poor transport infrastructure and health service.

As a result, Britain was narrowly beaten even by former eastern bloc states Bulgaria, the Czech Republic and Slovakia, which were judged to have better weather and a lower cost of living. However, the UK scored higher for its economy and social freedoms.

France topped the list of 191 countries compiled by International Living magazine as the nation with the best quality of life, followed by Australia, Holland, New Zealand and the United States. The five worst places on earth to live were the hot spots of Iraq, Somalia, Yemen, Sudan and Afghanistan.
The countries were rated on nine categories: cost of living, culture and leisure, economy, environment, freedom, health, infrastructure, safety and risk, and climate.

France scored extra points thanks to its high-speed TGV trains, spare hospital beds, culture, ski resorts, beaches and warmer climate.

Italy, which was eighth, scored a perfect 100 for its culture, with its climate, lower cost of living and transport service also bumping it up the rankings.

Britain was also trounced by many other European countries deemed to have similar weather, such as Holland, Denmark, Luxembourg and Liechtenstein, and by Germany, because it was seen to have a better health service and better infrastructure.

Graham Birse, a former Edinburgh tourism marketing chief, said that he believed Scotland would have fared better if it had been considered separately from the rest of the UK.

"I'm sure it would have come higher than England," he said. "The quality of life in Scotland and visitor experience is better than elsewhere in the UK. Just look at Perth - it was recently voted as being the most attractive place to live in the UK."

Elliott Frisby, a spokesman for VisitBritain, said of the survey: "It's very easy for one survey to say one thing, and then another contradict it. For instance, the Nation Brand Index looks at similar aspects of 35 countries around the world, and it placed Britain at number one, followed by Germany and France.

"Also, the lack of regional breakdown doesn't reflect the diversity within Britain."
Panama (34th), Mexico (25th) and Argentina (tenth) all stormed up the list thanks to their low cost of living and increased safety compared with previous years, as well as their natural environment and climate.

The most dangerous place on earth was deemed to be the Iraqi capital, Baghdad; the cheapest was the Pacific island of Nauru; the most expensive was Norway, the best infrastructure was in the US, and Zimbabwe had the best weather.

The Caribbean state of Haiti was said to be the most corrupt place on earth. People lived the longest (an average of 82.5 years) in Andorra, and Australia was the best place to register a new company.
Laura Sheridan, of International Living, said: "France came top because it has a good climate, unspoiled countryside, and great health care.

"And its capital, Paris, is arguably the most beautiful and romantic city on earth.
"Add to all this the world-competitive infrastructure and you can understand why we'd name France the world's best place to live."

This article: http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=141572007

Last edited:

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
Norway still the world's best place to live

For the fourth year in a row, the United Nations has ranked Norway as having the highest standard of living in the world. Sweden, Australia and Canada are next in line, while the United States is further down the scale (that was 2004 ) sorry

Zurich named again best
city in the world to live in

[SIZE=-2]A report by Mercer Consulting[/SIZE]

10 April 2006: The Swiss cities of Geneva and Zurich offer the best quality of life according to research published by Mercer Consulting in April 2006. Vancouver (Canada) is placed third, followed by Vienna (Austria), Auckland (New Zealand) and Düsseldorf (Germany). Baghdad, not surprisingly, is the lowest ranking city in the survey

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
LOL Love these lists for an amusing moment of dreaming....

Reality is I think you have to have substantial funding to be able to live comfortably in most of the "best" cities....

Middle Class and lower need not apply unless you are fancy free young person determined to see new and exciting places and can handle eight to ten roommates !

No doubt Mercer Consulting - the author of this latest Pied Piper scheme....has offices in many of the favored cities.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I'd like to live in Switzerland but it's too rainy. NZ probably wouldn't be too bad. I have a couple friends there that told me I'd probably like it there. I don't know if I'd like Ireland to live. But I'd like to visit. I don't like cities wherever they may be. I think this is the best place for me. I love the Kootenays. Only thing I can think of that would make it better is if BC told the feds top smarten up or get out of BC.
That article doesn't really give very much information about other aspects of those countries, like how easy it is to get work, do they take care of their elderly, does the medical insurance you pay for cover anything, etc. France might be nice but I here there is pretty high unemployment because apparently no-one is interested in working.
Nationmaster is the best place I've found for finding out tons of things about countries. www.nationmaster.com

About France:

http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/917

http://www.theage.com.au/news/busin...obless-benefits/2005/08/30/1125302569771.html

http://stats.oecd.org/mei/default.asp?lang=e&subject=10&country=FRA

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1518720.stm

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/3842.htm

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Sixth was Winnipeg.

I know you don't mean that. The only thing wrong with Winnipeg is it's geographic location. If it was about in the middle of Vancouver Island, it would be great. I spent just over two years in Winnipeg and there isn't a more friendly city in the world. Unfortunately, it sits in the middle of the prairies where the Winter runs from October to April.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
France gets #1. That doesn't make any sense. France has good climate? How many people died from that heat wave? I even hear this summer is predicted to be warmer, hopefully not for their sake.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I dunno why people take these "reports" seriously.

I only posted it so Blackleaf would freak out about the French being first and the UK 37th!

:laughing7:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I like Winnipeg shhhhhhhhhh

When I was little I loved everything about the city and the four seasons were fun to me.

If someone had told me I was living in a lousy town I would have laughed at them thinking they were missing all the fun.

Maybe it's different when you are a kid.... but I still have friends there from my childhood.....that's what the people are like.