Farmers hope that their milk cartons will help them find love

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Welsh farmers hope to pull with their pints
By Richard Holt

L25/01/2007

A group of lonely farmers in north Wales have come up with a novel way to find love.

Iwan Jones realised a significant number of farmers were single

They have come up with the idea of putting their own faces on bottles of milk in the hope of attracting suitable partners.

The bottles of Calon Wen organic milk carry the slogan Fancy A Farmer and a link for a lonely-hearts website.

By clicking on the website potential love interests can find out more details about the available farmers.

Information is in both Welsh and English to give the hopeful farmers as much chance as possible of finding their dream date.

The scheme was devised by 30-year-old milk farmer Iwan Jones, from Groes, near Denbigh, in north Wales.

Mr Jones, who is a director of the Calon Wen co-operative of organic dairy farmers realised that a significant number of Welsh farmers were single.

Gari Evans is one of five farmers taking part on the Pishy Cymru (Pishyn Wales) website

He said: "The Welsh countryside is a great place to live, with stunning scenery, but it can be a hard place to find a date, as I'm finding out.

"Calon Wen was founded to support family farmers but a quarter of our members are single, which was becoming a bit of a joke.

"We want to encourage farmers to consider on-line dating as a fun way of meeting people."

Mr Jones, who features on the milk bottles himself, lists his interests as "supporting Wrexham FC and listening to music".

He said: "It's just a bit of a laugh really but if an attractive young lady contacts me I certainly won't turn her away."

The project, which features three men and two women, is launched today to coincide with St Dwynwen's Day which celebrates the Welsh patron saint of lovers.

telegraph.co.uk

What the farmers may say on the lonely hearts website -

I love you - Yr wyf i yn dy garu di

If you become my lover I will always give you a free carton of milk - Ai ddeui 'm cariad ewyllysia beunydd anrhega 'ch a rhyddha botelu chan godra

Let's have sex in the hay - Ad s ca hystlen i mewn 'r gwair

I want a female servant to help to collelct the eggs from the hens - Fi angen benyw gwas at chyfnertha casgl 'r wyau chan 'r chywion

Last edited: