First sarongs, now men in tights

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Helping hand ... builder Steve covers Sun journalist Nick who was brave enough to wear the man leggings,
and inset, Milan model struts in his pants
Inset Picture: MATRIX

First sarongs, now men in tights

By NICK FRANCIS
January 23, 2007

AS fashion disasters go, this one makes even the tank top and the shell suit seem cool.

Yes guys, brace yourselves for the latest in haute couture humiliation — man leggings.

Yesterday, as Milan Fashion Week got into full swing, uber-cool designers Marni unveiled the trousers from hell.

The show’s catwalks were dominated by male models wearing the super-tight new creation and fashionistas proclaimed them the height of cool and sophistication.

So The Sun kindly sent me out to road-test a lovely purple pair.

I felt like a lot of things — but not cool or sophisticated. I was laughed and jeered at, and even got wolf whistles.

Walking through central London, I felt everyone was staring at my lunchbox because the leggings leave very little to the imagination.

Builder Steve told me: “I’d better cover you up with my hat — your mum wouldn’t want to see this.”

SO Marni reckon men are going to be queueing up to wear their leggings, asks Sun Fashion Editor ERICA DAVIES.

She says: “Hmmm. There’s more chance of the fellas legging it in the opposite direction.

“Picture it. You’re about to go on your first date, you’ve spent hours deciding what to wear. And then he picks you up, wearing a smart jacket, shirt and . . . leggings.

“Not only will your eyes be drawn to his crotch a LOT sooner than usual, but you’ll also wonder whether he’s a not-so-secret ballet dancer. I hope this is a short-lived fad.”

thesun.co.uk

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
When I lived in High Level, the young boys wore tights all the time (not leggings but actual tights), under their pants. Just as warm as longjohns, with no slouching socks. They were super handy.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I have a couple pairs of jeans that are getting pretty tight. :D

When I was up north, I never had much problem with thermals. Tell you one thing though, when you're fighting a blaze in your turnout and are soaking wet, I don't care how many sets of tights and thermals you have on, -50° C is still f'n cold. If you stand still for a little bit, icicles form on you and your skin starts to turn grey.

Seen guys wearing skirts here in Nelson. Call em wannabe women. :D Like the white guys with their hair done up in frayed ropes, wannabe Jamaican. And the folks with a couple dozen piercings, wannabe pincushions. :D One guy had a couple cowhorns attached to his hat, looked hilarious; we called him wannabe a Hollywood Viking (the real Vikings never had silly horns on their nutshells) http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/vikings/weapons_04.shtml

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I have a couple pairs of jeans that are getting pretty tight. :D

When I was up north, I never had much problem with thermals. Tell you one thing though, when you're fighting a blaze in your turnout and are soaking wet, I don't care how many sets of tights and thermals you have on, -50° C is still f'n cold. If you stand still for a little bit, icicles form on you and your skin starts to turn grey.

I have a coat I have to get rid of because the material inside makes you sweat. So no matter what temp it is, you start sweating a bit, and you freeze. The slightest bit of moisture in the cold will cause massive problems, so I can only imagine being soaked from fighting a fire. BBbbbrrrrrr.