Need help, want to move to canada

dawf08

Jan 13, 2007
Hi every one,
my name is david i am 21 years old i have a feiance and a 3year old daughter, and would like to move to canada.
Curently we live in queensland australia, we dont like it here anymore and i have thought about it and theres no were in australia that would currently improve our situation or dislikes of this place. It is too hot here and politically and environmentally australia is depleting.
basically there are lots of things we need to know before moving or commiting to anything.
currently our situation is as follows.
i work 38-42hours 5 days a week, i earn about $570au before tax and gross about $450 after tax, a week. rent is $220 per week, electricity bill is about $200 every 3 months, phone bills are about $60per month, car registration is about $300 every 6 months, groceries for 3 of us is about $130perweek.
oh and i work as a surveyors assistant, its fairly hard labour and spend about 95% of my week outdoors. which its too hot for. my partners on what ud call social security there its parenting payment here she gets abot say $300 per week from that but if wee move to canada shed be working. oh and a trip to the doctors costs about $40 here just for a standard consultation. oh and fuel is about $1.16aud a litre how much is it there.

basically i want to know similar things to what i have explained
earnings, jobs (work anywere), housing, bills, schooling costs. etc. the costs in different places and the places you think would best suit us, oh and cold isnt a concern looking forward to it.:happy11:

ANY AND ALL HELP WILL BE VERY VERY MUCH APRECIATED. THANKYOU
ANYTHING YOU DONT UNDERSTAND JUST ASK!:wave:

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Hi every one,
my name is david i am 21 years old i have a feiance and a 3year old daughter, and would like to move to canada.
Curently we live in queensland australia, we dont like it here anymore and i have thought about it and theres no were in australia that would currently improve our situation or dislikes of this place. It is too hot here and politically and environmentally australia is depleting.
basically there are lots of things we need to know before moving or commiting to anything.
currently our situation is as follows.
i work 38-42hours 5 days a week, i earn about $570au before tax and gross about $450 after tax, a week. rent is $220 per week, electricity bill is about $200 every 3 months, phone bills are about $60per month, car registration is about $300 every 6 months, groceries for 3 of us is about $130perweek.
oh and i work as a surveyors assistant, its fairly hard labour and spend about 95% of my week outdoors. which its too hot for. my partners on what ud call social security there its parenting payment here she gets abot say $300 per week from that but if wee move to canada shed be working. oh and a trip to the doctors costs about $40 here just for a standard consultation. oh and fuel is about $1.16aud a litre how much is it there.

basically i want to know similar things to what i have explained
earnings, jobs (work anywere), housing, bills, schooling costs. etc. the costs in different places and the places you think would best suit us, oh and cold isnt a concern looking forward to it.:happy11:

ANY AND ALL HELP WILL BE VERY VERY MUCH APRECIATED. THANKYOU
ANYTHING YOU DONT UNDERSTAND JUST ASK!:wave:

Well David, it depends entirely on where you live in Canada. Maybe someone who i familiar with your line of work could tell you what wages to expect, but if you earned the equivalent in Canada your net (take home) pay would be roughly the same. Your utilities are more expensive here as would your car insurance. Registration is separate here and varies from province to province. Because of your age, I can pretty much guarantee that you'll pay more than $600/yr though. Telephone is about the same, less if you don't have a lot of long distance charges; more if you add cable and internet services. Groceries will run about the same. You may be lucky to rent for the same amount but again, depends on where you live. In the major centres, you'll be lucky to get something for the amount you are now paying; in the medium or smaller centres you might be okay. Housing availability is also hard to answer because it depends (I think) on where you want to live. In Alberta, where I live, housing is extremely difficult to find and very expensive. However, there are lots of well-paying jobs - if you can find a place to live. (Catch-22).

For healthcare, again, depending on where you live, there are 3 provinces that have a monthly healthcare charge - in Alberta for a family it's $88/mo. Don't know the amounts for British Columbia or Ontario. You pay for your prescriptions unless you have extra health benefits (usually, but not always) through work and only after working for 3 months.

Currently, gas in my city is approx .85 cents a litre. Oh, and you'd get $100/mo.
for your child and a child tax credit. You wouldn't get the child tax benefit (I don't think) until you've established your potential earnings because its based on family income. Your fiance would get nothing else (unless she got a job).

Any way, that's my take. I'm sure they'll be others to give you additional information.

Cheers!

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Oh, and David I wanted to clarify the child tax benefit thingy. The $100 is to assist with daycare expenses - you spend it however you like. The Child Tax Benefit is based on your family income. If your income is too high, you don't get it, whereas the "Universal Child Care Benefit" everyone who has a child under the age of 6 gets it. It's also taxable to the lower income earner in the family, so if your fiance doesn't work, she'll not pay taxes on it.

FYI

Riyko

Electoral Member
Apr 29, 2006
Oakville, Ontario
First things first if you want to move to canada perminately you will need to apply for a perminate resident visa which can take anywhere from 6 months to a year to get the visa. If you get the visa you will have to have proof of funds to support you, your fiance and your daughter until you get a job. It isn't as easy as you think it is to move out of country, but even though you don't like australia it would be best to visit the country and the area you want to move to before moving there because it may seem nice before you move, but after you move it might be alot different then you think.

Check this website out http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.html

dawf08

Jan 13, 2007
thanks

thanks for your help so far, i do know that its difficult to move to another country hence looking into it alot! b4 we even try or think about it any more.

well im hoping someone there will tell me a place they would recommend, based on my current situation here, im not fussed but dont wont any were too hectic or massive our current town is only sorta small. probly about say 50 000pop at a guess, been to big citys so i know what they r like.....

oh and i am a laborer, know alot about computers,but will work anywere pretty much for atleast a reasonable wage.

oh and plan on having about 3,000-5000aud to bring there.
and we dont have the option to just come and visit first its about $8000 worth of plane tickets not something i wont to pay twice

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Moving To Canadar

Be careful friend:

GOOD jobs with a pension and health benefits are difficult to come by unless you are well educated, specifically trained, or a visable minority. Even then, Canada is famous for bullsh@tting potential immigrants with good skills and degrees into believing the streets are paved with gold. Then the immi. winds up driving cab.

We have been hit by "outsourcing" jobs to China and other Pac Rim countries, and Mexico just like the US has.

Sooner or later (IMHO), we are going to legalize two tier medical care and complete medical privatization like the US has with all its attendant baggage such as co-pay insurers, and people will be losing their houses to pay Dr. bills. This will happen shortly after the Conservatives win a majority in Parliament.

Our winters are cold and our summers hot (to generalize), and we have mosquitos and black flies from spring to fall.
Our big cities are becoming UNSAFE, once again, as in the US, with gun and knife violence happening as a daily occurance. We are not allowed to use deadly force to defend ourselves unless God is our witness, and if you harm someone who is trying to harm you, you will probably go to jail.

This above violence is a direct result of poverty, sh#tty parenting, unbridled immigration from poor third world countries, and the culmination of years of neglect of our own native Canadians. Their kids roam the streets eschewing education, and gravitate to gangs for their socialization.

Unless you really know exactly what you want to do, have a contact or two here, or a definate job offer, you would be wise to do a LOT or research before you make the plunge.

Canada can be a beautiful country in direct proportion to your ability to pay your way and secure good, employment, or have the smarts to start your own successful business. Like any other country, if you can't or don't, you will rue the day you came here.

How bad can poisonous snakes, spiders, and cane toads be, afterall?:laughing7:

Ugg:grommit:

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
i'd reccomend either marrying a canadian or getting a job offer first. having said that if u r flexible there are a lot of jobs around compared to many. alberta is booming for instance. If you think you can work for an oil company you're laughing. Immigration isnt so bad if u go by the married route... don't know so much about the work route

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
...And...if you think the USA is the source of all evil in the universe, you'll find plenty of comradery on these boards:laughing7:

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Sound like costs are somewhat similiar. We do have free healthcare except dental and prescriptions. Try being a surveyor in a Canadian winter. I would suggest getting a good job offer first. Try looking up a professional surveyors organization about job availability. Lots of suburbs going up all over Canada and Alberta and the far north are going through a boom due to natural resource prices being good at the moment.

dawf08

Jan 13, 2007
thanks

thanks again 4 all ur information u r providing me its all veryhelpful, good and bad, is good. lol, "cane toads, poisonous snakes and spiders' arent my worry. and yes i dont like amercia dont have nothing against all americans, but yeah ill stay off that topic, lets just say i have plenty of bad words to describe there ways and there government, but any way.
this is to old naughty. thanks 4 the bad, good with bad is good lol, australia also has pretty captastic medical, not expensive but waiting lists are huge shortage of doctors and nurses most we have r from other country chinese or indian, standard checkups blabla are easy to get but surgery things like that can be horrible. thankfully we are all in good health so have nothing to do with it. to move to canada i plan to apply for work visas, then try my best to secure a job from australia in canada then move over, if all went well which probly wont but can hope.
same thing is happening here, generations are becomming brain dead idiots doing dummer and dummer crap and in my opinion no ones to blame but parent..... tell me who lets there 13yr old daughters and sons to walk the streets at midnight etc....? countrys going down the crapper specially dith the d!ck heads running it. you live in a big city here same crime and cap as there, gangs murder etc. but then uve got better wages more job options.....
basically as a genralization of australias current situation is the countrys runnning out of water here there and every were and turning into a bloody desert which about 80% of the country already is anyway, and the governments are too dumb to do anything about it, let everybody run out of water then do something about it is there plan. every summer it just gets HOTTER and i hate the heat big time! how hot does summer get there???? here it peaks at about 38-40 degrees celsius at the hottest but thats dry and humid heat depending on the day, winter get no colder then about 10-15degrees at night.... days are about 26degrees and the rest of the years sits around 28degrees.
to rom space night surveying in a canadian winter would b fine with me try surveying in australian summer in the 40degree heat on a sledge hammer and axe, nearlly kills you, specially on a minimum wage, lotsa fun!!!!! im quite a large guy to 192cms large build. and i like the cold!!
well thats a crap load of stuff to read see what you think, ideally would like atown sorta the size of the one im in say population of wateva no more then say 100000 200000 people 50 000 would be ideal but i dont care for at first a job is what ill need so cant be too picky and thanks for the suggestion of checking out surveyors there,
oh and marryings isnt an option if u read the first post of mine...
thanks everybody:angel8:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Canada or bust!!!!!!!!!!

The heat in summer around this area at least, maxes out at maybe 30 C. Our humidity is somewhat high, which makes the heat feel worse, but it's definately not 40C.

We're not going to run out of water anytime soon, but the politicos are finding reasons to raise water "rates" in urban centres, citing delivery costs, bla bla. If you can build a house in a rural location and have a well drilled, you can have all the water (within reason) you need for the cost of the drilling, a pump, and the electricity required to run said pump. No doubt they will f##k this up in years to come with some kind of user fee.

Right now there is a boom going on in our province of Alberta. Jobs are plentiful and the money is good. Even though the cost of housing etc. is high also, if I was a young man looking for a grub-stake, I'd start there.

Good luck

:grommit: