Greatest Canadian Inventions.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
We asked you to compare the BlackBerry with the electric oven, life saving Insulin with artery clogging poutine, the caulking gun with the Wonderbra. Here are your rankings:
  1. Insulin, Treatment for Diabetes [1921, Frederick Banting, Charles Best]
  2. Telephone [1876, Alexander Graham Bell]
  3. Light Bulb [1874, Henry Woodward, Mathew Evans]
  4. Five Pin Bowling [1908, Thomas F. Ryan]
  5. Wonderbra [1964, Louise Poirier]
  6. Pacemaker [1950, John Hopps, Wilfred Bigelow, John Callaghan]
  7. Robertson Screw, 1908 [Peter Robertson]
  8. Zipper [1913, Gideon Sundback]
  9. Electric Wheelchair [1952, George Klein]
  10. Poutine [1957, Fernand Lachance]
  11. Cobalt-60 “Bomb” Cancer Treatment [1951, Harold Johns]
  12. Java Programming Language [1994, James Arthur Gosling]
  13. Bloody Caesar [1969, Walter Chell]
  14. Canadarm [1975, Spar Aerospace/NRC]
  15. Standard time [1878, Sir Sandford Fleming]
  16. Electron Microscope [1939, James Hillier, Albert Prebus]
  17. Ski-Doo [1922, Armand Bombardier]
  18. BlackBerry [1999, Mike Lazaridis]
  19. Radio Voice Transmission [1900, Reginald Fessenden]
  20. Birchbark Canoe [First Peoples]
  21. Basketball [1892, James Naismith]
  22. Retractable Beer Carton Handle [1957, Steve Pasjack]
  23. UV Degradable Plastics [1971, James Guillet]
  24. Instant Replay [1955, CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada]
  25. Goalie Mask [1959, Jacques Plante]
  26. Marquis Wheat [1908, Sir Charles Saunders]
  27. Pablum [1930, Alan Brown, Theodore Drake, Frederick Tisdall]
  28. Lacrosse [First Peoples]
  29. Electric Oven [1892, Thomas Ahearn]
  30. Steam Fog Horn [1853, Robert Foulis]
  31. Walkie-Talkie [1942, Donald L. Hings]
  32. Alkaline Long-Lasting Battery [1959, Lewis Urry]
  33. Paint roller [1940, Norman Breakey]
  34. Electronic Music Synthesizer [1945, Hugh Le Caine]
  35. WeeVac 6 [1990, Wendy Murphy]
  36. Green Garbage Bag [1950, Harry Wasylyk, Larry Hansen, Frank Plomp]
  37. Snowblower [1925, Arthur Sicard]
  38. Self-propelled Combine Harvester [1937, Thomas Carroll]
  39. Instant Mashed Potatoes [1962, Edward Asselbergs]
  40. Explosives Vapour Detector [1985, Lorne Elias]
  41. Marine Screw Propeller [1833, John Patch]
  42. Plexiglas [1931, William Chalmers]
  43. Key Frame Animation [1969, Nestor Burtnyk, Marcelli Wein]
  44. CPR Mannequin: “ACTAR 911” [1989, Dianne Croteau, Richard Brault]
  45. G-Suit [1941, Wilbur Rounding Franks]
  46. Ardox Spiral Nail [1954, Allan Dove]
  47. Automatic Lubricating Cup [1872, Elijah McCoy]
  48. Crash-Position Indicator-CPI [1957, Harry Stevinson]
  49. Caulking Gun [1894, Theodore Witte]
  50. Separable Baggage Check [1882, John Mitchell Lyons]

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
insulin would definately be my number 1 too. although maybe not an invention as such

Well, they held a patent for it, so it obviously qualifies by some definition. They sold their patent for $1 so that no one could ever 'own' insulin again. The world doesn't get much more human than that.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
My favorite is the Robertson screw, but the variable pitch propeller invented by Turnbull is right up there. And, of course, Candu technology, which is way under used.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
The process of extracting it though? or the process of making the human stuff without cutting humans open. clever stuff. they've only just started selling human insulin which is made from scratch. When i first started i used pig insulin. then i went on to human stuff made by genetically modified bacteria, now i'm on synthetic

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
My favorite is the Robertson screw, but the variable pitch propeller invented by Turnbull is right up there. And, of course, Candu technology, which is way under used.

I'd have voted the bloody ceasar right up there, and was happy to see the Robertson, since I use it almost exclusively.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
I'd have voted the bloody ceasar right up there, and was happy to see the Robertson, since I use it almost exclusively.

Why isn't the AVRO on that list? Did I miss it or is it almost so buried in ancient history that even Canadians have forgotten about this great achievement in aviation ... and let's not mention Diefenbaker right now.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Why isn't the AVRO on that list? Did I miss it or is it almost so buried in ancient history that even Canadians have forgotten about this great achievement in aviation ... and let's not mention Diefenbaker right now.

Perhaps it has to do with the fact that it didn't impact the day to day lives of most canadians, and was shut down. I wouldn't have voted for it.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Perhaps it has to do with the fact that it didn't impact the day to day lives of most canadians, and was shut down. I wouldn't have voted for it.

I think that if the project and technical drawings weren't destroyed, the invention would have impacted lives all over the world and it would have been a good thing. As it is, I suppose I'll vote for Gosling because I studied with his brother ... he's an innovator as well. JAVA rules!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The Avro Arrow, you mean...(just to be anal)...it's not so much an invention, it was more of a product. Still and all, NASA would have had one heck of a time with the Appollo moon missions if it wasn't for all the Canadians who went there after the program was cancelled.

Dief the chief; great in oppositon; a disaster as PM.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
The Avro Arrow, you mean...(just to be anal)...it's not so much an invention, it was more of a product. Still and all, NASA would have had one heck of a time with the Appollo moon missions if it wasn't for all the Canadians who went there after the program was cancelled.

Dief the chief; great in oppositon; a disaster as PM.

Thank you for clarifying and you're right. However, it's as much of an invention as the candu reactor or the telephone. Diefenbaker cancelled all grants and incentives for Canadian invention and product design ... oops ... and no one has picked up the ball since then. I think he was still focused on the war machine and didn't want to pull an einstein ... or whoever it was that finally figured out the nuke.

AndyF

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2007
Ont
karrie:

#17 Ski-Doo was an american invention according to the US Encyclopedia. I did a research a few years back to see just how honest our friends are. I knew it was a Canadian invention, so checked their encyclopedia and there it was, someone in Minnesota or Illinois can't remember invented it. Didn't help my respect for them since.

AndyF

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
karrie:

#17 Ski-Doo was an american invention according to the US Encyclopedia. I did a research a few years back to see just how honest our friends are. I knew it was a Canadian invention, so checked their encyclopedia and there it was, someone in Minnesota or Illinois can't remember invented it. Didn't help my respect for them since.

AndyF

Well, that's a matter for debate. There were flawed designs being patented before Bombadier finally perfected the snowmobile after the death of his son. The first was in Wisconsin according to one website I found.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
karrie:

AndyF

Why, because you were wrong? :|