Futureshop.ca is the most unreliable service available

FUTURESHOP_SUCKS

Jan 10, 2007

After 20DAYS placing an order and 6 CALLS MADE into the costumer service center.
They have the guts to call you and tell you 2 of the 3 items you ordered (totaling $1000 dollars) are sold out. When 3 days ago, you have made a complain to a supervisor on the phone and she had told you only 1 are in back order and she’ll put in a note for you to speed things up a bit, because one of her call girls just spent 30 min on the phone with me telling me to call my credit card company!!!! When in fact there is nothing wrong with my credit card.

THEY have the WORST SHIPPING SYSTEM I’ve ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!, and every single person on the phone give you a different excuse. AND THE LAST SUPERVISOR I TALKED TO: Jane (4070) sounded happy and didn’t give a **** about my problem and the fact that after 20days they have absolutely no idea when my orders are coming!!!! What a bunch of slack off people!!!
I’m going to the head office today good thing it’s in Burnaby just half an hour drive from where I live, but it’s snowing outside so I’m not going be happy when I get there!!!!!
I’m going to let them know what happens when you SCREW ONE OF YOUR COSTUMERS LIKE THEY MEAN NOTHING!!!!!!AND WAST 20 DAYS OF MY TIME IS COMING BACK YOU BITE YOU !!!!!

TO ALL THE NICE SHOPPERS OUT THERE. DON'T BUY FROM FUTURESHOP.CA
YOU'LL NEVER GET YOUR THINGS !!!! AND THEY'LL GIVE IT TO SOMEONE ELSE AND YOU'LL WAST MORE OF YOUR TIME.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My own experience with Future Shop has given me a similar attitude towards this store.

A couple years ago I bought a fairly large TV from Future Shop and I also bought an exra 4 year in home warrantee.

We had only had this TV for a couple months when it simply quit working. I called F.S. and was told someone would call right back. Two days later when still nobody had called I called again. I was now told that they had no service people in Nanaimo and they would have to bring someone in from Victoria. It turned out that they didn't have anyone in Victoria, or Vanvouver, or B.C., or western Canada. We called a courier and had the TV brought back to F.S. and demanded our money back. They initially refused but we demanded to speak to the highest authority, and finally got to talk to this little weasel who thought he was doing us a huge favour by refunding our money.

In Quebec there was a class action suit against Future Shop for this very problem. I don't know how it turned out.

FUTURESHOP_SUCKS

Jan 10, 2007
My own experience with Future Shop has given me a similar attitude towards this store.

A couple years ago I bought a fairly large TV from Future Shop and I also bought an exra 4 year in home warrantee.

We had only had this TV for a couple months when it simply quit working. I called F.S. and was told someone would call right back. Two days later when still nobody had called I called again. I was now told that they had no service people in Nanaimo and they would have to bring someone in from Victoria. It turned out that they didn't have anyone in Victoria, or Vanvouver, or B.C., or western Canada. We called a courier and had the TV brought back to F.S. and demanded our money back. They initially refused but we demanded to speak to the highest authority, and finally got to talk to this little weasel who thought he was doing us a huge favour by refunding our money.

In Quebec there was a class action suit against Future Shop for this very problem. I don't know how it turned out.

i feel for you there.... i can imagine how you must have felt at the time
honestly i wouldn't buy from that store ever agian...there are better store out there and we dont' have to put up with this..

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
i feel for you there.... i can imagine how you must have felt at the time
honestly i wouldn't buy from that store ever agian...there are better store out there and we dont' have to put up with this..

futureshop sucks, and theyre prices are too high too. walmart is just as bad when to comes to customer care-they suck at it.

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
There are three problems with FutureShop right now, and it explains a lot.

1. They are now owned by the same American company that owns BestBuy (purchased in 2001), and in many cities, the company is focussing mainly on BestBuy. I wouldn't be surprised to see them start converting, as there really is no need (and no profit to be made) by operating two big-box stores in the same community. They've already slimmed down their product line significantly (especially parts), and its effect can also be seen in other areas of the store.

2. Ever since Best Buy purchased Future Shop, they stopped paying their sales associates commission. Knowing electronics is a pretty specialized thing, and when you make minimum wage it's pretty tough to get the best sales people to work there. Why work at a place like Futureshop, where it doesn't matter how well you do, when you can go to a smaller place that will pay you for your salesmanship and experience?

3. There are just too many electronics places in general in Canadian cities. In Thunder Bay, off the top of my head, for a city of 115,000 people, I can count Futureshop, Staples, Wal-Mart, the Power Centre, The Source by Circuit City, Canadian Tire, Sears, Zellers and about 25 different local businesses that sell home electronics and computer equipment - on top of the Internet and catalogue companies. For a job where you need gained and learned knowledge, it's just too many experienced people needed to get the job done competently by all of these places in a town so small - somewhere the herd has to be thinned out, and I have no problem with Future Shop being the first one to go.

Geranium

Jan 15, 2011
Vancouver Island
I've NEVER had a more frustrating experience than shopping at a Future shop in Nanaimo. I had purchased a Toshiba laptop & ordered Windows 7 to be installed. It took 4 months for them to obtain Windows 7....then ANOTHER 3 months of constant phone calls from me before I was FINALLY able to get my blankety-blank computer from them. Then they couldn't find the records that I had ALREADY paid for Windows 7!!! The excuses were too numerous to even mention here...as I would just get mad all over again. The only decent training provided is to the sales people..which practically amounts to harassment.
I would NEVER EVER even enter the doors of a Future shop again.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I have nothing nice to say about Future Shop or any retailer that won't stand behind their products or claims.

It was because of retailers like Future Shop, Visions, A&B (now defunct) that the Sask Govt introduced some very strict consumer protection laws.

It took me three hours and calling the cops to get a refund on a TV that crapped out after 32 days even with having several copies of the Consumer Protection Act printed and in hand.

Check into your province for similar laws that are a wonderful defense from pushy retailers.

From The Consumer Protection Act - Justice and Attorney General - Government of Saskatchewan

Warranties

Under Part III of the Act, Consumer Products Warranties, retailers are deemed to give minimum warranties known as statutory warranties whenever they sell a new or used consumer product. The minimum statutory warranties include that:
  • the product belongs to the buyer without undisclosed liens or other claims;
  • the product is of acceptable quality;
  • the product is reasonably durable and fit for the use intended as well as for any specific purpose stated by the retailer;
  • the product matches its description and the quality of any samples shown to the consumer; and
  • spare parts and repair facilities will be available for a reasonable period of time.
Anyone who buys the product from the original consumer, receives it as a gift, or receives it by law is deemed to be given the same warranties by the seller or manufacturer as the original purchaser.

Saskatchewan's legislation also sets out additional warranties and conditions. A seller or manufacturer may make an express warranty either orally, in writing, or through advertising. This warranty relates to the sale or to the quality, quantity, condition, performance, efficiency, use, or maintenance of a product. A seller or manufacturer may make an additional written warranty which is a written warranty to repair, replace or make a refund.

A seller is deemed to accept any express warranties on labels or packages unless the consumer is told, prior to the sale, that the seller does not accept them. A seller does not accept warranties in advertising produced by the manufacturer unless the seller expressly or impliedly adopts them.

Remedies

If a breach of a warranty is not of a substantial nature:
  • it is to be remedied by the warrantor (seller or manufacturer) within a reasonable time; or
  • if the warrantor does not do so, the consumer may have it remedied and recover the cost from the manufacturer or seller; and
  • a consumer is entitled to recover damages for any foreseeable loss arising from the breach, whether or not the breach is remedied.
A substantial breach occurs if the product differs substantially from what consumers can reasonably expect or if it is totally or substantially unfit for all the usual purposes of such a product. In the case of a more substantial breach, a consumer:
  • may exercise the same rights as for a non-substantial breach; or
  • may reject the goods within a reasonable time; and
  • is entitled to the return of the purchase price and damages for any foreseeable losses.
If repairs are to be done under warranty, the consumer is required to return the goods to the warrantor. If the product can not be removed and transported without significant cost to the consumer, the warrantor must pay this cost or pay to have the product repaired where it is located.

A consumer who is injured as a result of a breach of a statutory warranty is entitled to recover damages from the warrantor.

A consumer, or a subsequent owner of a product, may be awarded exemplary damages if a warrantor deliberately fails to obey the Act.

Retail sellers, in turn, have the right to recover from the manufacturer any losses suffered as a result of a consumer's claim against them.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Don't buy a warrantee for this kind of purchase. Insurance is for protection against problems of a more significant nature.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
I get my stuff through Costco which warrenty is much better than any other competitor.

Very important since we've outsourced our factories to China, you can have two identical electronic goods and one can last years and the other will break down within a week of purchase... *sigh*

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I've never had any serious issues with Future Shop, in person or on line.

We bought a big-screen tv, they did the install, they were pleasant, friendly, helpful, on time.

I expect a lot of it depends on where you are.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I've never had any serious issues with Future Shop, in person or on line.

We bought a big-screen tv, they did the install, they were pleasant, friendly, helpful, on time.

I expect a lot of it depends on where you are.

Perhaps. One of my cousins bought an iPod from Future Shop in Bayers Lake when the Nano first hit the shelves. She purchased it on her credit card, and got the extra insurance, even the iPod brand hardened protective case to put the thing in. It was in her book bag and the screen cracked. She had a hard time getting it replaced. Eventually Apple sent her a new one.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
This is the one weird experience I had with FS: I needed to buy a USB modem. Checked on line, found out what I wanted, it was listed in stock, so I went to get it. The helpful guy in the computer parts section asked me if he could help me find something, and I said, "Sure, a USB modem"...he looked confused, and said they didn't carry them. I told him they had two in stock, I just needed to know where they were...he looked blank, I turned around, found one, and said, "oh, here it is. thanks".

He looked completely confused and told me they must be new, he'd never heard of them before.

rooibos

Time Out
Jan 5, 2011
i ordered something on monday, and its currently waiting at the post office.
maybe im lucky.