First day in the office

Vereya
Well, the New Year - Christmas holidays are over in my country, and it is today the first day of work... And my boss has already assigned to me a task I don't know what to do with, because I've never done it before - nothing's changed since last year. And my thoughts are all so slow and sleepy yet....
Anyone has any tips on surviving the first day in the office after the holidays?

eh1eh
Since you'r online why don't you Google some info about your task?

hermanntrude
i'm new in my place. I havent yet got security clearance so i can't get into the lab i'm sposed to work in. Therefore ive been asked to sit down and shut up. not a bad job i spose but it gets a little awkward at times. i feel like such a slacker

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

i'm new in my place. I havent yet got security clearance so i can't get into the lab i'm sposed to work in. Therefore ive been asked to sit down and shut up. not a bad job i spose but it gets a little awkward at times. i feel like such a slacker

\

There is nothing wrong with being a slacker, it's what i do best at work.

hermanntrude
same here but not usually on my first day.

start as u mean to go on i spose

Vereya
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

Don't worry, Hermanntrude - I guess that in a couple of weeks you'll be getting nostalgic thoughts about the day when you just had to sit still and be quiet
My first day is over, and I managed to do a third of my task. And as the deadline is on the 1st of February, I guess I'll have plenty of time, not only for work!

hermanntrude
good stuff. what will u do with your time? hang around the vending machines and eat junk? take extra smoke-breaks? sit in the washroom and read books?

Vereya
I've got a perfect way to spend time at work when I don't have anything extra urgent to do. I download some nice book in English from the Internet, and read it on my computer, pretending that I am reading some very important articles connected with my job as a tech writer And my bosses pretend to believe me

hermanntrude
where do u download books from?

Vereya
I download books from this site - www.thalasson.com/gtn/ (external - login to view)
There are mostly classic books. A very good collection.