things i LIKE about canada

McDonald
Except for the couple of things I cited int he other thread, I pretty much love everything about this country. The poeple, the weather, the food, the cultures, the languages, the provinces, even the politics. And here in Québec, the tuition is insanely cheap.

Tonington
Mmmm, I noticed that. At McGill it's around 50 dollars per credit for Quebec residents, 160 dollars for Canadian non-Quebec residents.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

I just love the "hockey arena" thing, have been going into rinks since I was about 6 yrs old, and, yes
the smell, the hot chocolate,hot dogs, the hockey,and the spirit and chit chat, I love the NHL, and
love to watch my grandchildren on the ice, and figure skating as well.

I've never actually been to an NHL game... I think I'd find it disappointing to tell the truth. There's something about the small town hockey team, the Friday night game, that's just so special in my memory. Knowing everyone around, knowing the men on the ice (a teacher from my school, my sister's boyfriend, a friend of my dad's, an uncle, one of my mom's co-workers.... the list goes on and on), knowing everyone in the stands.... my husband and I spent many of our dates at the rink. Sitting on wooden bleachers, people packing in all sorts of odd cushions that were almost as entertaining as the game, having the smaller kids running around playing tag.... there's just something about it that wouldn't be the same in a professional game.

talloola
[quote=karrie;765047]I've never actually been to an NHL game... I think I'd find it disappointing to tell the truth. There's something about the small town hockey team, the Friday night game, that's just so special in my memory. Knowing everyone around, knowing the men on the ice (a teacher from my school, my sister's boyfriend, a friend of my dad's, an uncle, one of my mom's co-workers.... the list goes on and on), knowing everyone in the stands.... my husband and I spent many of our dates at the rink. Sitting on wooden bleachers, people packing in all sorts of odd cushions that were almost as entertaining as the game, having the smaller kids running around playing tag.... there's just something about it that wouldn't be the same in a professional game

The professional game is just as much fun, the only part of it that isn't, is the cost. It shows the
level, one of those tiny little 5 and 6 yr old guys can reach if they have all the ingredients they need
to climb that high. Hockey is hockey, and you can see the same excitement and desire on the faces
of the "Canucks" that is seen on the faces of the kids, and to see the game being played without "all"
those mistakes, is something to behold. I love hockey at every level, but the best is the best, and I
like it the best. The major Junior games are great too, those guys are at the point where they are
ready to enter NHL level, and their effort to "get" there is quite obvious.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

The professional game is just as much fun, the only part of it that isn't, is the cost. It shows the
level, one of those tiny little 5 and 6 yr old guys can reach if they have all the ingredients they need
to climb that high. Hockey is hockey, and you can see the same excitement and desire on the faces
of the "Canucks" that is seen on the faces of the kids, and to see the game being played without "all"
those mistakes, is something to behold. I love hockey at every level, but the best is the best, and I
like it the best. The major Junior games are great too, those guys are at the point where they are
ready to enter NHL level, and their effort to "get" there is quite obvious.

I guess seeing it on tv, you just don't get that same sense of excitement. It's never sparked a desire in me to go... but, moving to Edmonton soon, I've been planning on buying my hubby tickets for his B-Day. As for the potential all the little guys have... most of the truly awesome hockey players I knew were girls. That may be another reason I've never been highly interested in the NHL. But, I'll give it a good old Canadian try once I get to Ed. LOL.

talloola
[quote=karrie;765195]I guess seeing it on tv, you just don't get that same sense of excitement. It's never sparked a desire in me to go... but, moving to Edmonton soon, I've been planning on buying my hubby tickets for his B-Day. As for the potential all the little guys have... most of the truly awesome hockey players I knew were girls. That may be another reason I've never been highly interested in the NHL. But, I'll give it a good old Canadian try once I get to Ed. LOL

my husband and I had 4 daughters, they all played "ice" hockey for many years, at a high level, my
oldest daughter went to Toronto and played in the Canadian Championships. My husband coached
them for many years, and it was a great time of our lives.

karrie
A blizzard hit this morning.... true Canadian January. From the time I got up to noon, the temperature dropped ten degrees. I went to pick my son up from school (kindergarten half days, he buses the morning but I need to pick up at 11'ish), and barely made it into town because the weather was acting up. Once at the school I overheard the PA announcement for all bus students to gather in the gym, they were being bussed home, and parents needed to be contacted. So, I popped into my daughter's class, and picked her up rather than have her wait to take the bus. The drive home took twice as long as usual due to the drifting snow. I got home, pulled my snow shovel into the entryway because the doors are already drifting, and now here we sit. The bus driver phoned to tell me she's not running tomorrow either. So, tonight, what I like about Canada is....

Jackson Triggs Merlot. : ) I'm going to need it after dealing with the kids for yet another snow day. LOL

karrie
I thought about starting a thread to share this unique tidbit, but decided in the end that this was a thread worthy of being dusted off and brought back out to share our little giggle tonight.

What I like about being Canadian.....

.... watching tv, and knowing it must be fairly warm in Calgary, based on how the puck is gliding during a hockey game! lol.

talloola
S N O W ???

I love the "room" we have in this country to run, stretch, breath, see the beauty,
have so much "green",(not money), the oceans, I couldn't live away from the ocean, ever.

look3467
I was flipping through this book today titled "Canada's Rockies". Wow, what beautiful mountains, lakes and wilderness scenes. Makes me want to fly like an eagle a sore above all that just to see and fill my heart with wonder and admiration.

Peace>>>AJ

snfu73
I LOVE the mountains...I love Lake Superior...I love summers (even though I am a Canadian, i am not a fan of winters)...I like the diversity...I like beavers, and bears, and coyotes, and chipmunks and deer, and caribou...we have amazing wildlife in this country. I like Bigger, Saskatchewan...I like Thunder Bay, Ontario, I like Vancouver and Toronto, I like Wasaga Beach, I like Sauble Beach, I like Edmonton and Calgary, I LOVE the drumheller area, I like the people, I like the fact that I can drive 20 minutes out of the city and be in the middle of nowhere with noone around. I love fall. I love spring. I love summer. I love our rivers and lakes. There is alot of to love!

L Gilbert
Bats. Wunnerful little critters that eat moths and other bugs.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

I know all about bats, I chased one all over my house once, with a fish net, (I think he was
a he, cause he didn't have any sense of direction, and wouldn't ask), finally he flew up the
chimney. (no, it wasn't lit)

L Gilbert
Yeah. I've had them in here, too. Had one sleep overnight ( or at least early morning) with us in the bedroom once, too. Got up, opened the window and went about our usual day. He/she was gone later.

talloola

Yeah. I've had them in here, too. Had one sleep overnight ( or at least early morning) with us in the bedroom once, too. Got up, opened the window and went about our usual day. He/she was gone later.

I love all the little "critters" too, but when it came in my house, I became defensive, so how
cowardly is that, as I'm about 1000 times bigger than it. I was worried it would crawl around
on one of us, or the kids, ,as they were small then, whiile we slept. I don't think I would be so silly now, I would
just leave it alone.(I think)

ROFF
I lived all my life in Saskatchewan but have visited from Toronto to Tofino. For me Canada is about variety in landforms and people. The homesteaders had to rely on their neighbours. This generated tolerance and understanding.

I like small town sportsdays (hamburgers fried with onions), small town cafes and driving past farms.

L Gilbert
Yeah. Small town cafes are cool.
Anyway, I was going to say that I like Canada's pine trees; so ........... I like pine trees.

talloola
I also love the smell of the "sage", while driving through the interior, Kamloops,Cache Creek,Ashcroft, B.C. and also for me, the smell of the ocean, and the ocean air.

L Gilbert
Yup. Me, too. I like hiking up to the top of hill and looking at all the other tops of hills and then turning around and seeing the lake waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down below.

Shot of tops of hills.

darkbeaver
I like my spot in Canada because it's quiet during the day and later it gets dark and quiet until the sun comes up and the brooks.

RomSpaceKnight
The fishing. I can catch rainbows, pike, salmon, walleye, carp, redhorse suckers, perch, smallies, catfish and many other species all from the Thames River.

L Gilbert
The brooks smile?

Said1

I hate bats. The above make me crindge. The hair on my arms is standing up....must find happy place, must find happy place...serenity nooooowwwwwww.

Oh, and I like fall living near the Ottawa river, tres cool.

L Gilbert
lmao,
sorry I mentioned it, hun.

Said1

lmao,
sorry I mentioned it, hun.

My one and only phobia.

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by Said1View Post

I hate bats. The above make me crindge. The hair on my arms is standing up....must find happy place, must find happy place...serenity nooooowwwwwww.

Oh, and I like fall living near the Ottawa river, tres cool.

Are you going to be o/k that's a two or three gram bat Said1, what's it going to do carry you off and tear open your jugular or what eh?

Said1
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

Are you going to be o/k that's a two or three gram bat Said1, what's it going to do carry you off and tear open your jugular or what eh?

It might get caught in my hair and take a chunk out of my head? It could rip my ear right off with it's fangs. Or worse, what if it won't stop screaming? *shudder*

darkbeaver

It might get caught in my hair and take a chunk out of my head? It could rip my ear right off with it's fangs. Or worse, what if it won't stop screaming? *shudder*

Sounds like you got a bat phobia, my bats squeek they don't scream.

Get some garlic and a crucifix on you.

Said1
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

Sounds like you got a bat phobia, my bats squeek they don't scream.

Mice squeek, bats shriek. One thing I hate about my area are all the BATS.

Everything else about Ottawa rocks, especially parliament hill.

L Gilbert

Mice squeek, bats shriek. One thing I hate about my area are all the BATS.

Everything else about Ottawa rocks, especially parliament hill.

Yeah, lots of rocks at parliament hill. Whole pile of em sitting on top of the shoulders of humans in the buildings there. lol