Pub thief steals urinal from the Royal Oak

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Thief steals urinal from city pub

Landlord Alan Dreja pictured at the site of a missing urinal

Police are on the hunt for a thief who stole a urinal from a pub in Hampshire.

The man is thought to have spent 40 minutes removing the white toilet bowl after ordering half a pint at the Royal Oak pub in Southampton.

He then stuffed the urinal in a rucksack and left the pub making sure he wiped his fingerprints off the door as he went.

But his exploits were caught on CCTV and after reviewing the tape landlord Alan Dreja handed it over to police.

"It's unbelievable," said Mr Dreja, 46, who has been landlord at the Royal Oak in Houndwell Place for two years.

'Professional job'

His wife Suzie Dreja added: "We were stunned as he did it at about 5pm.

"He had wandered in and ordered half a pint of Fosters, took a few sips and went into the toilet a few times.

The suspect was captured on CCTV with a bulging rucksack

"He did a very professional job. He turned off the stop cock and capped off the pipe.

"Our staff had thought we had taken it off for repair and it was not until the evening we noticed.

"After we realised, we looked at the CCTV and saw him go in with a flat rucksack and come out with it bulging. He actually wiped his fingerprints off the door as he left."

A spokesman for Hampshire police said: "It is a very unusual theft and we would like to speak to the man captured on the CCTV.

"It was clearly a very professional job," he added.

news.bbc.co.uk

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Economists are expecting the value of urinals to skyrocket this year. You can expect more of this kind incident...

Hotshot

Electoral Member
May 31, 2006
blackleaf, don't you have anything better to do??????????????????

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Self I believe he is one of those fellas that refuses to put the lid down and the misses came down hard on him and he's out with his pals and he gets this great idea for "renovating" the loo with a new Urinal to appease the misses. No lid, it's just to bad he had to steal it thou.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
I am SOOOO shocked you brought this one up!!!!!!.........

SURELY YOU KNOW I'm IN Southampton right?.......

I on the odd (and I mean very odd, before a football game at St. Mary's...home of Southampton FC) occasion I've been seen in that pub.

Put it like this....have you seen George Romero's "Dawn of the dead" original campy version?....well, it's set in an early 70's late 60's mall, well that pub is underneath a big carpark/roadway next to a mall just like it, abandoned, no-one has gone there since the mid-eighties, it's spooky....

but the pub is frequanted by Students, it's near the Southampton Solent uni's Kimber Halls (the uni me and last year's apprentice winner went to)....but it is next to a red light district and another pub, near the bar I work at part time, was fire-bombed the other day, so this is nothing out of the ordinary for southampton I'm afraid.

but it's not actually the roughest pub in the town, and this indeed very odd.

Nice to see my city in the press, but I really was shocked to read this when I got my dad's Southern (southampton) Daily Echo today.

SHOCKING, so welcome people to the crazy insane city in which I live!!.

Daz

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
LOLLLLLLL Im soooooo glad you posted I was thinking it was the one down by the government mooring but thats portsmouth not southampton.

nah, it clearly says Southampton Tam, it's a cardinal sin to confuse a pompey pub with a southampton one..........ESPECIALLY one almost next to the football ground!!!.

It's not that bad really.....although I've always fealt intreaged when I walk past anothe bar in the same street called "young's hampshire ram"........effectively, it's a schmorgasboard that pub, left is St Mary's, with the stadium, the red light district, the druggies and the ethnic minorities (like how we ghettoise them?)....right is Hoglands park where all the gays hang out in the toilets, north is that spooky shopping mall that died when 2 other new malls opened (as they do and then there'sthe docks....it's not suprising really.

but never confuse Southampton with pompey, murders have been commited for less!!.

really.

Daz

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
nah, it clearly says Southampton Tam, it's a cardinal sin to confuse a pompey pub with a southampton one..........ESPECIALLY one almost next to the football ground!!!.

It's not that bad really.....although I've always fealt intreaged when I walk past anothe bar in the same street called "young's hampshire ram"........effectively, it's a schmorgasboard that pub, left is St Mary's, with the stadium, the red light district, the druggies and the ethnic minorities (like how we ghettoise them?)....right is Hoglands park where all the gays hang out in the toilets, north is that spooky shopping mall that died when 2 other new malls opened (as they do and then there'sthe docks....it's not suprising really.

but never confuse Southampton with pompey, murders have been commited for less!!.

really.

Daz

Please excuse the Yank for she knows not her right from her left nor her Royal oak from her Swan........

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Yahoo doent allow you to share Love. My pic was taken in Winchester. I noticed every other Pub in England was a Swan.

Evil Yahoo!....there used to be a Swan about a mile down the road from me, it closed down and now is a KFC Drive-in as well as a McDonalds one.....but as you cant see the picture, I've got a link that'll give you a clearer idea of the place:

http://www.southampton-pubs.co.uk/royaloak/index.htm

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
That looks like a newer building

I was only allowed at the local pubs LOL very old very family orientated, They allow DOGS! That tripped me out. I wanted to go to a club but my hostess' thought it was a wee bit dangerous with the football going on. I was more afraid for the locals!

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
From that answer Tam, you, as an American must now truely realise what I mean when I say British spectator sports are a heck of a lot different to those in the states...it's not all arm chair seats, hot dog sellers and a cosy friendly enviroment where you can take the family...that's what I think a lot of your fellow countrymen and women dont, or probably wont understand..

I mean, like soccer, a word is a word to you right?...to use it's virtually a religion, and ultering that word would (to a UK football fan) be like altering the word of Mohammed in the qu'ran!!...it's just not done.

But that pub was probably built in the late 60's, notice the car parking space above it?, thats for the 70's almost ghoast-like shopping mall next door.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I stayed in Kidderminster and the night I wanted to go out there was a murder over one of the games and while I stayed in Yardley every house had one jack or another in the windows. On game nights I stayed in but when Ian took me to the boat there wasnt a bit of football around. LOL the radio was the only thing we had and we kept it on the story chanals the humour was fantastic. I dont like many sports.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
I stayed in Kidderminster and the night I wanted to go out there was a murder over one of the games and while I stayed in Yardley every house had one jack or another in the windows. On game nights I stayed in but when Ian took me to the boat there wasnt a bit of football around. LOL the radio was the only thing we had and we kept it on the story chanals the humour was fantastic. I dont like many sports.

fair enough, I'm English, so it's required I like football with a passion.......although I bet you never saw violence or trouble like that at a sports event in the states......I went to several local derbies in the US, was I ever shocked at the pleasantness of it all.