"Dragon" sausages renamed as they don't contain dragon meat

Blackleaf
The Times
November 18, 2006
Sausages affected by draconian trade laws

By Simon de Bruxelles

The dragon is a symbol of the British Principality of Wales, and features on its flag

A SPICY sausage known as the Welsh Dragon will have to be renamed after trading standards’ officers warned the manufacturers that they could face prosecution because it does not contain dragon.

The sausages will now have to be labelled Welsh Dragon Pork Sausages to avoid any confusion among customers.

Jon Carthew, 45, who makes the sausages, said yesterday that he had not received any complaints about the absence of real dragon meat. He said: “I don’t think any of our customers believe that we use dragon meat in our sausages. We use the word because the dragon is synonymous with Wales.” His company, the Black Mountains Smokery at Crickhowell, in Powys, turns out 200,000 sausages a year, including the Welsh Dragon, which is made with chili, leak and pork. A Powys County Council spokesman said: “The product was not sufficiently precise to inform a purchaser of the true nature of the food.”

thetimesonline.co.uk

Hotshot
You must be desperate to find material to post....

eh1eh
I don't think so. Blackleaf has a vast archive.

Zzarchov
I hope they rename Champagne to the less confusing Champagne region bubbly alcoholic beverage.

If I buy Champagne I might think im buying a bottle of french dirt otherwise.

Libra Girl
Quote: Originally Posted by HotshotView Post

Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

I don't think so. Blackleaf has a vast archive.

And always interesting and informative, and very well illustrated.

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by Libra GirlView Post

And always interesting and informative, and very well illustrated.

Not wanting for detail.

temperance
So head cheese is really ???

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by temperanceView Post

So head cheese is really ???

He He. I can think of a couple of things it might be but really it is this:

HeadĚ-cheese
n. (hĕd"chēz`)

A dish made of portions of the head, or head and feet, of swine, cut up fine, seasoned, and pressed into a cheeselike mass.

temperance
Great, I thought that was rendering ,by the way does Canada still render !!!!

There is, however, greater certainty regarding how the disease spread. The carcasses of diseased animals entered the feed chain, because at the time it was common practice to add meat products, notably rendered(2) (external - login to view) ruminants (cattle, sheep, goats, deer, elk, bison), to cattle feed. The disease spread at the end of the 1970s and in the early 1980s because of this feed process. The protein linked to BSE is heat-resistant, as well as resistant to other normal pathogen inactivation processes. This means that it will not necessarily be destroyed when going through the meat rendering process, which cooks carcasses at high temperatures. In 1988, the United Kingdom prohibited the use of rendered meat products in cattle feed, thus eliminating material from the feed chain that risked being contaminated. Consequently, the number of cases of BSE found in the United Kingdom has steadily decreased since the winter of 1992-1993.

temperance
Ok toe Jam

Libra Girl

Ok toe Jam

Toe jam??

eh1eh

Ok toe Jam

UR sassy today. LOL

Rendering still goes on in Canada but I think they do not use it for livestock feed. Just dog food.

temperance
Sorry yes Toe Jam was a little off

Still rendering ,dog food ,
Japan checks every bovine it gets in ,and no rendering in the chain at all ,what wrong with us ???
Last edited by temperance; May 1st, 2007 at 06:58 AM..Reason: spelling

eh1eh
Hmm. Just a little.

toe jam104 up, 10 downThat grey-brown sh*t (external - login to view) that accumulates between your toes. Primarily composed of dead skin cells, sock fluff and sweat.
"You eat your toe jam? No. No. That's way to disgusting."

Libra Girl
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

Hmm. Just a little.

toe jam104 up, 10 downThat grey-brown sh*t (external - login to view) that accumulates between your toes. Primarily composed of dead skin cells, sock fluff and sweat.
"You eat your toe jam? No. No. That's way to disgusting."

er... thanks for that piece of information eh1eh. Yes... well.... I guess I'll pass on lunch today.

temperance
Oh boy I was told it was under the nail not be ween toes --well

jjaycee98
Quote: Originally Posted by HotshotView Post

Part of a larger story, actually. Some British official has declared a whole raft of items need to be renamed because "the public has a right to know what they are eatng" A 60 year old lady who sells "Robin Tarts" (little bird fugure on top made of candy and icing) has to rename them because the do not contain Robins. Likewise her "Piggy Tarts" do not contain Pork and her "Paradise Bars" do not come from paradise.

There is a growing list of items that this guy wants renamed. Many items that have been traditionally named for a couple hundred years are his targets.

TenPenny
In North America we have this weird system where every item of food has a list of ingredients, they are listed in order of content, from greatest to least. So it doesn't matter if you make something called dog**** pie, it will, by law, have all the ingredients listed.

I don't know why the Brits can't grasp this concept. I suppose because it's from the colonies, they dismiss it out of hand.