The Bristol Fighter T: the British car that is the most powerful in the world

Blackleaf
Made in Britain: the world's most powerful car

By PA

09/11/2006

The most powerful production car in the world was today launched by a luxury British manufacturer.

The Bristol Fighter T is set to hit Britain's roads next year and boasts a massive 1,012 horsepower.

Best of British: The first Bristol Fighter T is expected to be completed in September 2007. She's the most most powerful car in the world

The engine produces more power than Italy's 252mph Bugatti Veyron, currently the most powerful production car, which has 1,001 horsepower and costs 810,000.

The 350,000 Fighter T will be hand built at the firm's plant in Filton, Bristol.

Its eight-litre V10 engine will propel the car from 0-60mph in less than 3.5 seconds and on to a theoretical top speed of 270mph, although Bristol will limit the speed of production cars to 225mph.

Only around 20 Fighters will be built every year, not all of them the range-topping T version, so owners will belong to an exclusive group.

Bristol Cars managing director Tony Crook said: "It has more power than the Bugatti but the end product is a very usable car which owners will be able to drive every day.

"We have been producing the Fighter and the Fighter S since 2004, but a lot of people said 'I want even more power' so that's what we've done."

The first Bristol Fighter T is expected to be completed in September 2007. The company can trace its history back 60 years to 1946 when the Bristol Aeroplane Company diversified into car manufacture.

In 1960 it helped form the British Aircraft Corporation (later British Aerospace), at which point the car division (Bristol Cars Ltd) passed into private hands.

Today, its staff is still drawn from an aviation background.

The only luxury car manufacturer that remains in private British hands, the company declares on its website that it has "no interest in slavishly copying automotive fashion.

We crave instead integrity of purpose and an unmatched level of engineering perfection".

telegraph.co.uk

sanctus
What an awesome looking car!

#juan
This is the latest Lotus. It has an aluminium chassis and glass reinforced epoxy body. For the price of one Bristol Fighter, you could buy a dozen of these. About 1800 lbs. and a hundred and eighty horsepower make it very quick. If I had the money to buy the Bristol, I would buy the lotus and spend the rest of the money on wine and women.............If my wife would let me...

MikeyDB
Just what the bored filthy rich need an excuse to burn more fossil fuels and demonstrate their disdain for the rest of us.

What a twisted and corrupt bunch of creatures we are...

Britain better keep hanging onto their warmongering Blair if the elite in Britain want to buy these ridiculous cars they're going to need cheap gas.....stolen from Iran or Iraq, the typical British way of doing things from Hong Kong to South Africa.

Grape Britain is a disgusting counter-evolutionary morass of monarchial inbreeding, sporting a hubris born of centuries of imperialism that saw the British Empire kill anyone and everyone who resisted her "nobility" while they enslaved raped and pilliaged societies all over this planet.

It's really no suprise this auto is built in Britain, where unlike America the automobile is substitute for a ***** as opposed to merely an extension...

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDBView Post

Just what the bored filthy rich need an excuse to burn more fossil fuels and demonstrate their disdain for the rest of us.

What a twisted and corrupt bunch of creatures we are...

Britain better keep hanging onto their warmongering Blair if the elite in Britain want to buy these ridiculous cars they're going to need cheap gas.....stolen from Iran or Iraq, the typical British way of doing things from Hong Kong to South Africa.

Grape Britain is a disgusting counter-evolutionary morass of monarchial inbreeding, sporting a hubris born of centuries of imperialism that saw the British Empire kill anyone and everyone who resisted her "nobility" while they enslaved raped and pilliaged societies all over this planet.

It's really no suprise this auto is built in Britain, where unlike America the automobile is substitute for a ***** as opposed to merely an extension...

MikeyDB, get a life!

I rather doubt that anyone here is going to buy either of those cars, but some of us can appreciate a nice sports car even if it is only wishful thinking. The Bristol Fighter is a ridiculous exercise because there is no way for that car to use a thousand horsepower. Formula one race cars, are cutting edge technology, have wings and ground effects to generate downforce, and are unstable at much over two hundred miles an hour, let alone two hundred and seventy miles an hour. The only place the Bristol might do 270 mph is on the Bonneville salt flats.

If you want to talk about the "enslaved masses", and counter-revolutionary demons, start a topic. Otherwise stay on the topics other people start

MikeyDB
Yeah you're right Juan...

This facet of human perception isn't worthy of examination in the context of the whole..., just compartmentalize thinking and we can all pretend everything's just wonderful.

I'll get one when you do.

DurkaDurka
I too would prefer the Lotus to the Bristol. I find the Bristol is to bubbly looking, the roofline looks too stretched. Why anyone would need a 1000hp car is beyond me, you would have a tough time getting that car out of second gear...

MikeyDB
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

I too would prefer the Lotus to the Bristol. I find the Bristol is to bubbly looking, the roofline looks too stretched. Why anyone would need a 1000hp car is beyond me, you would have a tough time getting that car out of second gear...

Exactly and so why do you suppose that a manufacturer would invest in building a car like this?

To make money?

To sell these status symbols to the filthy rich?

Everyone has to have an SUV in North America...an SUV or a van, but there was still a place for a gas guzzling ego-enhancing piece of crap called the Hummer....

The way we waste our natural resources and continue to set up "wants" based on ridiculous notions like this, the more our attention is taken away from other issues. It's no accident that the infrastructures of "modernized" nations is in terrible condition. It's no suprise that a recent report on global warming confirms that our choices over the past number of centuries has contributed to the collapse of this planets atmosphere and environment.

But hey....go with Juan on this one...

Just keep focused on how shiny and marvelous a thirty-five ton roller skate can be and don't worry about anything else....

This car is every bit as practical as a thirty-five ton roller skate so let's all celebrate yet another opportunity for the wealthy to exercise their power...

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDBView Post

Exactly and so why do you suppose that a manufacturer would invest in building a car like this?

To make money?

To sell these status symbols to the filthy rich?

Everyone has to have an SUV in North America...an SUV or a van, but there was still a place for a gas guzzling ego-enhancing piece of crap called the Hummer....

The way we waste our natural resources and continue to set up "wants" based on ridiculous notions like this, the more our attention is taken away from other issues. It's no accident that the infrastructures of "modernized" nations is in terrible condition. It's no suprise that a recent report on global warming confirms that our choices over the past number of centuries has contributed to the collapse of this planets atmosphere and environment.

But hey....go with Juan on this one...

Just keep focused on how shiny and marvelous a thirty-five ton roller skate can be and don't worry about anything else....

This car is every bit as practical as a thirty-five ton roller skate so let's all celebrate yet another opportunity for the wealthy to exercise their power...

Christ, is there a modern invention you don't hate?

The thread is about an exotic sports car. Not global warming or poverty or guilability of the masses.... bloody troll.

#juan

What do you think? 50 in first, 90 in second, 150 in third, 200 in fourth, ............I would not be that comfortable doing any wild speed in that car. If one managed to roll the damn thing at any speed, that flimsy roof wouldn't save you.

MikeyDB
OK I get it now.

How about them leafs????

Anyone watch the last episode of Homer Simpson????

Oh my I heard that they're making a re-make of King Kong....

Yeah let's talk about the really important stuff....

You people deserve the suffering that's coming because you embrace your ignorance.

Unfortunately it's shortsighted people like you for whom the futures children will pay as well...

Go on talk talk talk about cars and your peep-hole vision on life...

How appropriate for a Canadian forum....

#juan
Hey DB

Since the car is going to be hand-built, it will at least provide employment for a dying breed of craftsmen who are almost extinct. Will the cars be bought by millionaires? Of course. Who else has a million to spend on a car? I won't be buying one but I am interested in the technical aspects of the vehicle. What you think of that doesn't interest me.

DurkaDurka
Without a doubt, the bristol could hit 90 in second. For a car capable of that kind of speed, I would expect it to have a lower profile, similar to a McLaren F1.

The Lotus is much more to my liking, 0-60 in 4.7 seconds and a top speed of 147mph. More then enough "get up and go" to satisify me.
www.lotuscars.com/Exige_Spec_Sheet.pdf (external - login to view)

#juan

Without a doubt, the bristol could hit 90 in second. For a car capable of that kind of speed, I would expect it to have a lower profile, similar to a McLaren F1.

The Lotus is much more to my liking, 0-60 in 4.7 seconds and a top speed of 147mph. More then enough "get up and go" to satisify me.
www.lotuscars.com/Exige_Spec_Sheet.pdf (external - login to view)

That is interesting. It suggests that the Lotus would probably beat the Bristol accross the intersection since in these cars, 0 to 35 mph is all wheelspin, the lighter car would likely go ahead initially.

MikeyDB
Great Juan

You might find it difficult to believe but I've never cared what your interests are and in fact only having participated here at Canadian Content would this opportunity for you to champion the mentality of excess come to my attention.

Do I support the contention that a few people will benefit at the largess of the wealthy through this monument to self-interest? Sure I do. Only a few people will make their living building this car while a great many more will continue to take the bus. That's the way it's always been and that's the reason we're looking at the mess the world is in right now. Unless we change our perspectives on how we conceptualize our societies and our governments, we'll continue right along doing the same things we've always done...

Including celebrating world wars and killing each other over a barrel of oil.

That's the way you want it Juan and that's the way you like it. Your interests in this monument to excess is typical of the successful brainwashing that's shaped this culture and our societies forever. I'm challenging people to not set these "little" tidbits of selective preception aside. I can understand how that's threatening to those embracing their self-destruction, but I have grand children who have to live in the world afer you and I are long gone.

You celebrate your enthusiasm for denying the reality of the market-mentality and sing the praises of the wealthy all you like. Hey its a free world.

Unless of course #Juan gets to tell people what they can or cannot say or think on a public forum...

I think not
MikeyDB

I cannot recall any subject that I have ever come to #juan's defense, but seriously, the man apparently has an interest in automobiles. And because of this, you take a giant leap in assuming he's going to buy it.

I always liked spaceships, I assure you, the space shuttle has never been in my budget. Grow up.

Hotshot

The Bristol looks faintly familiar to the old Jenson.

These cars would be of no use in North America.

Kreskin
Mikey, please stay on topic or start a different thread. It isn't a political or sociological debate. Lets keep it that way.

Thanks

Sassylassie
As a morally corrupt, capitalist loving self employed sheeple I love the Lotus. It rocks, will I ever own one dah no but I love looking at great looking cars. Lotto 649 is 15 million and I'm feelin luckyyyyyyyyyy, so who knows??

#juan
It's funny. When I was a bit younger, I owned a whole procession of mainly British sports cars. I had MGs, Austin Healeys, Triumphs( a TR-3 and a GT-6. I even had a clapped out old Porche(the only kind of Porche I could afford) Every one gave decent gas mileage, if not reliable service. All but the Porche were affordable as new cars. Alas, they don't build sports cars anymore. What they build now, are Batmobiles, like the Corvette and the Aston Martin, etc..

Sassylassie
LOL Juan my first boy friend re-built an Austin Healy, my husband owned a Porche 911 (I think that was the number on the backend of it) when I married him sadly he sold it two days after our marrage. They don't make them like they use to do they?

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by SassylassieView Post

LOL Juan my first boy friend re-built an Austin Healy, my husband owned a Porche 911 (I think that was the number on the backend of it) when I married him sadly he sold it two days after our marrage. They don't make them like they use to do they?

Husbands or sports cars?......just kidding.

Seriously, When I was young and single, just starting out, I loved sports cars. Later on, when I could afford a new car, we had two more passengers and a sports car just didn't cut it.

No. They don't make them like they used to. The precision handling and the road feel is not matched by anything out there today. Someone once said that with a 1960 MGA roadster, you could run over a dime and tell whether it was heads or tails. I don't know if I believe that but those cars had a good following back then...

#juan
The primary appeal of the Bristol Fighter, is it's singular exclusivity. They are only going to build a hundred or so cars, so that the buyer's chances of seeing another on the road are pretty slim. The market for a million dollar car is pretty scarce. The performance the manufacturer is citing will mostly never be challenged. Where would anyone try to drive it at 225 mph? The thousand horsepower is another feature that adds to ther car's uniqueness, but whether the engine actually has that horsepower is anybody's guess. The Dodge Stealth has about the same, or better performance with half the horsepower. The Stealth also costs a tenth of the money.

no new posts