Lost Canadian

mikyatta

Nov 8, 2006
I am a Canadian, but listen well so you can understand my dileema and hopefully answer my question. I was born in Newfoundland. My mother and father were Canadians. My mother married an American citizen and moved to America when I was one years old. My mother never got her citizenship here and my American step father never adopted me. I was here on an 18 year visa. At 18 I was supposed to either return to Canada or apply for citizenship here. I did neither one. Mind you, this is not information I knew growing up, it is information I learned about at the age of 35.

However, at 18 I went to prison here for five years. Well as it is, time goes by and then 911 takes place. Suddenly I'm getting letters from the social security office and immigration about my status here. I contacted the Canadian Embassy here and sure enough they confirm that I am a Canadian Citizen and that all I needed was my birth certificate to get across the boarder. Well, being that I am a citizen of Canada and being that I have a criminal record here, I already knew I could forget about this place granting me any citizenship at all. However, the new laws that have come into place since 911 is making it very very difficult for me to move around as I use to in terms of employment and other things as well.

My question is this: Does my having a criminal record in the US affect my status in Canada in terms of getting jobs or anything? Naturally since I've been here all my life, I have no criminal record in Canada, so I was curious about that. The bottom line is that I really need to know, cause one way or another I'm playing with time. I either come back to Canada on my own or wait till they catch me.

I thank anyone who may have information regarding my question. At least it will let me know what to expect when I get there. Oh, you can also e-mail the answer at mikyatta@yahoo.com

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
with time. I either come back to Canada on my own or wait till they catch me.

I thank anyone who may have information regarding my question. At least it will let me know what to expect when I get there. Oh, you can also e-mail the answer at [EMAIL="mikyatta@yahoo.com"]mikyatta@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]

Seems to me you'd be better off contacting one of the government ministries on this matter for more accurate information on your situation. I wouldn't rely on advice from an internet site in this matter.