What's the difference??

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
Now I have made several threads and I will put it easier in a poll so I can see peoples opinion but to some it seems that having a plane fly into a building killing people is more powerful and those people are more important that a person who may be tortured, raped and then gunned to death in what I would consider that is evident in Indonesia, Nigeria, Lebanon and elsewhere.

I see none, terrorism is terrorism, and being from the West or being a different religion doesn't really matter because it just shows the brutality of most people.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Now I have made several threads and I will put it easier in a poll so I can see peoples opinion but to some it seems that having a plane fly into a building killing people is more powerful and those people are more important that a person who may be tortured, raped and then gunned to death in what I would consider that is evident in Indonesia, Nigeria, Lebanon and elsewhere.

It only seems worse because of the American media who would have the world think that this was the worst tragedy in their history. As you suggested, violence is violence is violence and the dead are just as dead regardless of the manner or the nationality.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Dead is dead I guess, but the major difference is that 9/11 happened on American soil. The idea that someone could come into the U.S. and kill 3,000 people is a shock to most Americans. The only event close to 9/11, was the attack on Pearl Harbor that Roosevelt called " A day that will live in infamy", when a Japanese attack killed a similar number of people.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Dead is dead I guess, but the major difference is that 9/11 happened on American soil. The idea that someone could come into the U.S. and kill 3,000 people is a shock to most Americans. The only event close to 9/11, was the attack on Pearl Harbor that Roosevelt called " A day that will live in infamy", when a Japanese attack killed a similar number of people.

Granted, but it is no different regardless of the soil.I am sure the Vietnamese people felt the same way towards the American bombs as the Americans did at 9/11. In this day and age, it it very much time that we learn from Dr. King and others and rethink our violent means of dealing with one another.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Researcher, it's all about context. The US and Canada and other western nations have worked hard to build strong, open societies. When they're threatened by the mindless violence terrorism represents they take that seriously. We're used to horror stories from overseas involving countries overrun with sectarian factions or warlords. That is them. They've got a lot of cleaning up to do but it's mainly their job. My focus is at home. My concern too. If you want to be a strict internationalist and dilute your outrage over every infraction that spans the globe go ahead. There are huge differences you conveniently ignore.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Granted, but it is no different regardless of the soil.I am sure the Vietnamese people felt the same way towards the American bombs as the Americans did at 9/11. In this day and age, it it very much time that we learn from Dr. King and others and rethink our violent means of dealing with one another.

Absolutely. I didn't mean to justify the millions of deaths in places like Viet Nam. I just meant that to Americans, 9/11 was a shock.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Absolutely. I didn't mean to justify the millions of deaths in places like Viet Nam. I just meant that to Americans, 9/11 was a shock.

I know how this will read, but maybe they (and we) need shocks like that to illustrate to them what it is THEY do all around the world to millions of other peoples. Perhaps if the USA stopped its imperialistic policies and took care of its own internal problems, people would not be inclined to want to strike back at them.

It was a tragedy what happened at the Trade Centre, but no greater a tragedy(I think) than what happened in Vietnam, the Middle East, South America,etc.etc.

And before anyone starts mentioning how civilized the Americans are--asking the citizens of Nagasaki and Hiroshima how they felt about the bomb!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I know how this will read, but maybe they (and we) need shocks like that to illustrate to them what it is THEY do all around the world to millions of other peoples. Perhaps if the USA stopped its imperialistic policies and took care of its own internal problems, people would not be inclined to want to strike back at them.

It was a tragedy what happened at the Trade Centre, but no greater a tragedy(I think) than what happened in Vietnam, the Middle East, South America,etc.etc.

And before anyone starts mentioning how civilized the Americans are--asking the citizens of Nagasaki and Hiroshima how they felt about the bomb!

I think, to some extent, the American public is treated like mushrooms by their government. You know, feed'em bull****, and keep'em in the dark.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I think, to some extent, the American public is treated like mushrooms by their government. You know, feed'em bull****, and keep'em in the dark.
That is exactly what is going on #Juan. Unfortunetly sad, but true. Have life fead to some is easier then feed ones self. Not to mention, consumers are always atracted to shiny imaginetive packaging, and lets face it, the ad agency known as the American Government has perfected the science.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
That is exactly what is going on #Juan. Unfortunetly sad, but true. Have life fead to some is easier then feed ones self. Not to mention, consumers are always atracted to shiny imaginetive packaging, and lets face it, the ad agency known as the American Government has perfected the science.

It is frightening in a way. When you get 300 million people, or even 30 million people together, they take on the characteristics of a great Pavlovian dog. Ring bell, feed the dog. ring bell, feed the dog. Pretty soon it is ring bell, and the dog salivates without the food. In the same way, people's reactions become as predictable, and as you say, the American Government has perfected the science.