Family member backstabbed by Military

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
Now this is a true story that I will relay to you about my sister. Now, she joined the military in January over here in B.C and was happy. It gave her some confidence and she was very happy to go to Afghanistan and other places if so desired. So, bootcamp came for Shilo and she went to Shilo, and I was there so I can account her story. Well the boots that my little sister received at the military was two sizes two big and the Base Surgeon was extremely angry he was extremely 'enraged' at her unit about the size of the boots she got when she was sent to the MIR. MIR, stands for the medical center basically for military forces.

So my sister had foot problems, she almost got planters Fasciitis:

Plantar Fasciitisplantar Fasciitis is the most common condition of heel pain. This condition occurs when the long fibrous plantar fascia ligament along the bottom of the foot develops tears in the tissue resulting in pain and inflammation. The pain of plantar fasciitis is usually located close to where the fascia attaches to the calcaneous, also known as the heel bone. The conditions is often mispelled as: plantar fascitis, plantar fasciatis, planters fasciitis, plantar faciatis, and plantar faciaitis. Correctly pronounced it is "plantar fash-eee-eye-tiss".

Plantar fasciitis causes the inflammation of the plantar fascia ligament which runs along the bottom of the foot. The plantar fascia ligament is made of fibrous bands of tissue and runs between the heel bone and your toes and stretches with every step. Inflammation develops when tears occur in the tissue.

The most common complaint from plantar fasciitis is a burning, stabbing, or aching pain in the heel of the foot. Most sufferers will be able to feel it in the morning because the fascia ligament tightens up during the night while we sleep, causing pain to diminish. However, when we climb out of bed and place pressure on the ligament, it becomes taut and pain is particularly acute. Pain usually decreases as the tissue warms up, but may easily return again after long periods of standing or weight bearing, physical activity, or after getting up after long periods of lethargy or sitting down.

In most cases, plantar fasciitis does not require surgery or invasive procedures to stop pain and reverse damage. Conservative treatments are usually all that is required. However, every person's body responds to plantar fasciitis treatment differently and recovery times may vary.

There are a number of plantar fasciitis causes. The plantar fascia ligament is like a rubber band and loosens and contracts with movement. It also absorbs significant weight and pressure. Because of this function, plantar fasciitis can easily occur from a number of reasons. Among the most common is an overload of physical activity or exercise. Athletes are particularly prone to plantar fasciitis and commonly suffer from it. Excessive running, jumping, or other activities can easily place repetitive or excessive stress on the tissue and lead to tears and inflammation, resulting in moderate to severe pain. Athletes who change or increase the difficulty of their exercise routines are also prone to overdoing it and causing damage.

http://www.plantar-fasciitis.org/

Now she could barely walk and had to use sneakers instead of regular combat boots. She couldn't march with her platoon and there was so much damage she has to do physical activities to keep her feet okay.

So if you assume she was sent home after just 16 days at boot camp, and we assumed under medical so she could get better and join her unit with special boots because she has 'big fat feet'. However, they decided to release; not because of her feet because as they stated "she can't handle military life".

So we wrote to Harper and O'Conner however nothing is coming of it, and they are continuing with releasing her from the military, and they now claim she owes $80 of equipment she was never issued. Finally, they want her to sign her release forms before they give her her First Aid Certificate she earned at boot camp.

So she has told them to mail the forms with her certifcate because she is not going into the unit to sign those forms and I support her all the way.

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
Now you state whatever you want about me. However, if anyone evens think it in there head that my sister never had this happen to her and she is lying, you wouldn't want to see what I would do.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
I have plantar fasitis and I've got it because I'm flat footed....very little arch...

If the bundle of ligaments connecting the forward and rear muscle groups in the foot, is all ready extended fully ...ie one is flat footed... any motor activity involving connective tissues (calf ankle etc. can result in inflamation at the heal point.

Proper footwear is very important and there are exercises one can perform easily in private just about anywhere to relieve the pain.

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
I have plantar fasitis and I've got it because I'm flat footed....very little arch...

If the bundle of ligaments connecting the forward and rear muscle groups in the foot, is all ready extended fully ...ie one is flat footed... any motor activity involving connective tissues (calf ankle etc. can result in inflamation at the heal point.

Proper footwear is very important and there are exercises one can perform easily in private just about anywhere to relieve the pain.

My sister is the same, she is flat footed with a very little arch as well. At least she didn't get plantwer fascitis. Almost.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Researcher have you sister look into a Disablity Claim. It was faulty equipment that caused her injury, she shouldn't be punished for the Military's lack of "Proper" equipment.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Hi Sassy

I understand that people having little or no arch (flat-feet) ares simply more susceptible to this discomfort of inflamation in the heal and I would agree that if the MO had done his job correctly, this soldier would have been given corrective foot gear not just "appropriate" foot gear!

We send these people to die for us if necessary and if the sacrifice we have to make in paying for decent healh care for these folk is too great to pay, then what is your life worth?

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I agree Researcher, my husband broke his ankle in basic training but the Medic said nope it's fine and sent him on a forty mile forced march with full kit. 15 years later he's walking on the side of his foot with a tumour (scar tissue)the size of a football his knee was ruined because of his walking gate. The Military Doctors told him that if they fixed it he would be booted out of the Military, he wouldn't be able to March or some such bull crap (he's a pilot they don't March much, well never). So he suffered for four more years and had his ankle and knee rebuilt in his 19th year. It would be a medical leap forward for the Military to allow it's members to see a "Real Doctor" instead of allowing MIR Medics to decide if someone should see a doctor. Medics don't receive enough training to make an adequate prognoses. I hope you sister improves.

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
I agree Researcher, my husband broke his ankle in basic training but the Medic said nope it's fine and sent him on a forty mile forced march with full kit. 15 years later he's walking on the side of his foot with a tumour (scar tissue)the size of a football his knee was ruined because of his walking gate. The Military Doctors told him that if they fixed it he would be booted out of the Military, he wouldn't be able to March or some such bull crap (he's a pilot they don't March much, well never). So he suffered for four more years and had his ankle and knee rebuilt in his 19th year. It would be a medical leap forward for the Military to allow it's members to see a "Real Doctor" instead of allowing MIR Medics to decide if someone should see a doctor. Medics don't receive enough training to make an adequate prognoses. I hope you sister improves.

Thank you for the concern. It was actually the base head MIR guy who was enraged by the boots she got. And when she was sent home she was under the assumption that she would get specilized boots, and return to the unit when she was ready. However when she got back they told her to come in they are releasing her, so she decided to fight it and have it brought up in the Queens R and O under I forget what section it was 12. something, and sadly the high command in her unit structure is saying they will proceed with the release.

So she and our father has tried to contact the DND head, O'Conner and human rights organizations saying it was faulty equipment and why should she be punished for DND faulty equipment.

And I do support her and they will have to come to her to make her sign those release papers. But I think she wants to stay in but if release is the only option that the DND is giving then she will have to sign it at some point in time.

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
It sounds like your sister is medically unfit for the military. Case closed.

Yeah by faulty equipment the DND gave her. What is she suppose to do go around and get planter's fascitis and other stuff and not complain one bit. She was prepared and ready to go until this occured.

Medically unfit in the military is also you can put them on medical leave until they are ready to get back into action.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Yeah by faulty equipment the DND gave her. What is she suppose to do go around and get planter's fascitis and other stuff and not complain one bit. She was prepared and ready to go until this occured.

Medically unfit in the military is also you can put them on medical leave until they are ready to get back into action.

You're making the connection that the plantar fasciitis was CAUSED by the boots. Generally speaking, that's not the case.