Can anyone help me in picking an English name? Thank you

Spring

Sep 11, 2006
Ontario
When my parents gave me a name when I was just born, they didn't envision that I would one day go to Canada and my English-speaking friends would find it difficult to pronouce my name.

Then I ask my Canadian friends to make an English name for me. They disagree and think I should always use my real name.

But the problem is that people wouldn't remember you when they couldn't remember your name, if they have no reason to remember you.

So to make people easy to pronounce my name and remember me, I need your help to pick an English name for me.

I have some ideas here, also welcome if you have another.

Spring -- that's the meaning of my name in my language.

Cathy -- one day an old gentleman thought it was cathy when I told him my name.

Tree -- it sounds like my real name in pronunciation

Ivy -- no any related to my name in meaning or pronunciation, but it's easy, only three letters, and I also like it.

Thanks a lot.

Kodiak

Electoral Member
Apr 26, 2006
Nanaimo
I would always introduce myself with my real name and if the person had difficulties with your name tell them your nickname might be easier. What is you name in your native language?

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
Choosing another name is a very important task. In a lot of cultures there existed such a tradition - when a person came of age, he or she chose another name. The same with getting another name when changing religions. A person's name is a kind of a protective and enhancing symbol for that person. So when you choose a name, first think of what side of your personality you want to enhance, and choose a name accordingly. Choose several different names that you like, and try to see, which one fits you the most, with which one you are feeling most comfortable.

gangstalking

Electoral Member
Sep 10, 2006
Change your name change your destiny, it's a choice. Don't change for others, but if you really feel a need and this is what you want go for it. I like Ivy and Spring they are both nice names.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
RE: Can anyone help me in

Spring sounds good to me for two reasons:

a) it is pretty unique. I've never heard the name before

b) it's a translation of your real name. So you're not really changing your name, you're just translating it.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!

yeah I agree with gc. Spring is unique, pretty, and not changing things.

Maybe we should see a picture of you and say what we think u look like?

lady_hawk_ca

Sep 11, 2006
I had to change my name when I moved to Spain (20 years ago) to a Spanish version of the name, and well, I hated it. I think if you can keep your real name then do, people may pronounce it funny but hey, that's their problem, not yours. I say keep your real name.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario

Also, you want something that YOU can pronounce easily.

I do tend to agree tho, that if there's any way you could keep your actual name, you might as well, even if you had to anglicize the pronunciation a bit- "Tree" could easily become "Tori" (which is usually short for Victoria, from what I've seen)or maybe "Turi", pronounced however you like...

MAN, I have tries to find an equivalent to my name in japanese and it ain't easy, as anything that sounds close is invariably a female name :(

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

I personally think you should keep your name, I know several chinese and indian people who've "anglosized" their names, Bob, Jimmy and Della are some I've heard.

But I think you should keep using your original one, it'll get you noticed for one (not always a bad thing) and then you wont keep forgetting your "other" name.

Spring

Sep 11, 2006
Ontario
Vereya said:
Choosing another name is a very important task. In a lot of cultures there existed such a tradition - when a person came of age, he or she chose another name. The same with getting another name when changing religions. A person's name is a kind of a protective and enhancing symbol for that person. So when you choose a name, first think of what side of your personality you want to enhance, and choose a name accordingly. Choose several different names that you like, and try to see, which one fits you the most, with which one you are feeling most comfortable.

Thanks. If I use a new name, will it cause any problem with my real name in some official documents?

Spring

Sep 11, 2006
Ontario
Re: RE: Can anyone help me in picking an English name? Thank

gangstalking said:
Change your name change your destiny, it's a choice. Don't change for others, but if you really feel a need and this is what you want go for it. I like Ivy and Spring they are both nice names.

Really changing name could change destiny?

I like Spring and Ivy too. :D

Spring

Sep 11, 2006
Ontario

Kodiak said:
I would always introduce myself with my real name and if the person had difficulties with your name tell them your nickname might be easier. What is you name in your native language?

Most people found it hard to pronounce my name. :D

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

nope, it shouldn't, my Uncle's wife (yes he has a thai bride, he lives in thailand with her) has a completely unpronouncable name so we just call her "Ice"

she's happy, the government couldnt really care, it's like my Real name is Kelly - YES Kelly - For A MAN, but everyone calls me Darren or Daz, wont be a problem at all, trust me.

Spring

Sep 11, 2006
Ontario
Re: RE: Can anyone help me in

gc said:
Spring sounds good to me for two reasons:

a) it is pretty unique. I've never heard the name before

b) it's a translation of your real name. So you're not really changing your name, you're just translating it.

Thank you for your idea. 8) 8)

Spring

Sep 11, 2006
Ontario

hermanntrude said:
yeah I agree with gc. Spring is unique, pretty, and not changing things.

Maybe we should see a picture of you and say what we think u look like?

The Avatar is a picture of me, which is taken a couple of weeks ago.

What name I look like do you think from this one?

Spring

Sep 11, 2006
Ontario

lady_hawk_ca said:
I had to change my name when I moved to Spain (20 years ago) to a Spanish version of the name, and well, I hated it. I think if you can keep your real name then do, people may pronounce it funny but hey, that's their problem, not yours. I say keep your real name.

Thanks. But I think I want my potential employers to be able to call me from bunches of names as soon as possible. :D :D

Spring

Sep 11, 2006
Ontario

mabudon said:
Also, you want something that YOU can pronounce easily.

I do tend to agree tho, that if there's any way you could keep your actual name, you might as well, even if you had to anglicize the pronunciation a bit- "Tree" could easily become "Tori" (which is usually short for Victoria, from what I've seen)or maybe "Turi", pronounced however you like...

MAN, I have tries to find an equivalent to my name in japanese and it ain't easy, as anything that sounds close is invariably a female name :(

Yeah, we all have difficulties when choosing an English name. Hope you find a good one.

Spring

Sep 11, 2006
Ontario

GreenGreta said:
Spring is very pretty, and plus, you've already chosen it for your nik here.

I like it.

Thank you. I'm glad so many people like it. I'll use this name.

Spring

Sep 11, 2006
Ontario

Daz_Hockey said:
nope, it shouldn't, my Uncle's wife (yes he has a thai bride, he lives in thailand with her) has a completely unpronouncable name so we just call her "Ice"

she's happy, the government couldnt really care, it's like my Real name is Kelly - YES Kelly - For A MAN, but everyone calls me Darren or Daz, wont be a problem at all, trust me.

Thank you Daz

Anyway, I'll always keep my original name. Only need some easier name to make other people easier. :D