dictionaries needed

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
..........Loose........when something is not tight.
..........lose...........to misplace or be unable to find.....whatever.

People do not loose their lives. They LOSE them.

Not to be too much above it all or condescending, BUT, if you are trying to make a point, it is much better made when spelled correctly.

Steal a dictionary from a "libary" or look the "werd" up on the net.

Stop spelling like an illiterate hillbilly for Gawd's sake.

Peeple will lak ya mor, and think mor haly of ye, fur shur.

But ahm gwin tu get shat on fer postin this an ah don even give a crap.

Tired of reedin stuf from good mynds what is not spelled rite.

8O

feronia

Time Out
Jul 19, 2006
oldnugly said:
..........Loose........when something is not tight.
..........lose...........to misplace or be unable to find.....whatever.

People do not loose their lives. They LOSE them.

Not to be too much above it all or condescending, BUT, if you are trying to make a point, it is much better made when spelled correctly.

Steal a dictionary from a "libary" or look the "werd" up on the net.

Stop spelling like an illiterate hillbilly for Gawd's sake.

Peeple will lak ya mor, and think mor haly of ye, fur shur.

But ahm gwin tu get shat on fer postin this an ah don even give a crap.

Tired of reedin stuf from good mynds what is not spelled rite.

8O

If I understood the whole post does that make me more or less of a hillbilly?

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
It always seemed strange to me, that people for who English is a native language, make so much spelling mistakes. :?
There must be something the matter with the system of education....

SixWheels

Sep 11, 2006
Indeed, this is one topic of discussion that I simply must partake in.

Far too often I see disgraceful examples of incorrect spelling and it is most frequently from the English that these discrepancies are made.

Here are some more examples:-

It was to cold...... no, no, no. It was TOO cold.

It was there fault...... aaargh! It was THEIR fault.

I carnt do it...... for goodnes sake. I CAN'T do it.

Then there's the almost incomprehensible use of modern day short-hand.

R U gonna B goin 2 the shopz l8er

You should have noticed that I omited to employ a question mark at the end of that last sentence, this is typical of the type of people who choose to type in this way.

Are you going to the shops later?

Now this time the sentence is much easier to read and ironically if you include the spaces they both contain 33 characters.

There is no excuse for it. I for one did not pay a great deal of attention at school (or skool) yet I am able to excercise a modicum of pride in my ability to correctly use my native language, so why are so many other Englishmen and women apparently unable to do the same?

I know a Turkish born young man who lives in Germany and speaks fluent Turkish, German and English... his English is far better than that of most English people, at least it is far better than most of those who CHOOSE to join in on forums.

Rant over.

Thank you.

gangstalking

Electoral Member
Sep 10, 2006
Sometimes on forums it's fast typing, but also in cases like mine, I am not a careful speller and a dictionary would be a good idea.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
i'm afraid I agree with oldnugly. Although a simple typo can be forgiven there are some people who need to learn the difference between "their" and "there" and "they're", for instance, and "caused them dearly" makes no sense, and the word "unique" cannot be quantified. something is either unique or it isn't.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Maybe it's just because of the ever-so-slightly confrontational tone of my posts, but correcting grammar and spelling in other folks posts sure gets their knickers in a twist.

Honestly, I find bad spelling and grammar frustrating because the mistakes render their posts less legible.

Pangloss

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Maybe it's just because of the ever-so-slightly confrontational tone of my posts, but correcting grammar and spelling in other folks posts sure gets their knickers in a twist.

Honestly, I find bad spelling and grammar frustrating because the mistakes render their posts less legible.

Pangloss

Yes, it can be frustrating to read poorly typed posts. You have to keep in mind, however, that not everyone has a lot of time to compose posts. Some are rushing through many forums. Some are doing three things at once (cooking, laundry, posting). I don't know about you, but, I came here to read other peoples' ideas, and to discuss. If I wanted grammatical perfection, I'd go read a book.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Absolutely, Karrie:

However, if I am going to the trouble of presenting an argument, it is incumbent upon me to make that argument presentable.

Nobody will be convinced or enlightened if they do not read or understand my posts.

Plus, it is also a sign of respect to present my words with care - it shows consideration for the time and efforts of others.

Pangloss

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
As much as I agree in principle with the sentiment of the OP, I also recognize that there are many whose educational backgrounds do not afford them the ability to present their thoughts in the same manner as the well educated.

Does this make their thoughts less valuable? I hope not. I see exclusion related to education practiced in so many areas of life... I wish the cyber world could be considered one safe place where all meet on equal footing.

I'll admit, there are times I actually wince when I read some of the many ways there are to maim our language... but I stifle my urge to groan when I see it.... because a) I know I'm prone to a few mistakes here and there, and b) there but for the grace of * insert favorite deity * go I....

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Very funny Rom. . .(insert smiley face here - if only I didn't hate them so much)

Zan: No sensible person could disagree with you. . .except that dictionaries are cheap, even free online, and good grammar costs nothing but time. But the thrust of your point remains valid and true, at least as far as I see it.

Pangloss

Phil B

Electoral Member
Mar 17, 2007
Brighton,UK
Does this make their thoughts less valuable? I hope not. I see exclusion related to education practiced in so many areas of life... I wish the cyber world could be considered one safe place where all meet on equal footing.

The "cyber world" is one were people can & do meet on an equal footing - ie. no relation to class/financial worth to distinguish between said people. However to the truly illiterate the internet is quite possibly the most unequal place known to man.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
The "cyber world" is one were people can & do meet on an equal footing - ie. no relation to class/financial worth to distinguish between said people. However to the truly illiterate the internet is quite possibly the most unequal place known to man.

LOL I had a reply going about the two inequities going hand in hand, but I got too hung up on grammar and spelling. Had to wipe the whole post out. :lol:

Eh_Degray

May 13, 2007
(southern) Québec, Canada
It always seemed strange to me, that people for who English is a native language, make so much spelling mistakes. :?
There must be something the matter with the system of education....
There is plenty wrong with the education systems here. I don't think that's the real problem. The real problem is that the indifference of parents towards their child's literacy, therefore becomes the indifference of the child. In short, they don't care.

They'll later find out -probably when it's too late- that not caring isn't only going to be a problem but is also a mass disrespect to ones self.They don't care to spend five more minutes on being better understood by everyone and to make it easier for us all. That is the indifference I speak of. Kid's need to read!

Disclaimer: Not about anyone in particular

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
There is a solution, at least to the spelling part of the problem. A few years back I downloaded Wordweb It is a dictionary, a thesaurus, and a spell checker. If you are unsure about the spelling of a word, you simply highlight the word and hit ctrl, Alt. w. It will give you the spelling of the word, the meaning of the word plus antonyms, and synonyms..etc The download is just a few kilobytes. and it is easy to use.

http://tinyurl.com/o3w5z