The beauty and mystery of Britain's mysterious crop circles

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Just WHO, or WHAT, causes Britain's many crop circles?

The beauty and mystery of Britain's mysterious crop circles
By BILL MOULAND

21st August 2006

An eye-catching crop circle in Uffington, Oxfordshire.

These photographs should probably carry a health warning.

'They give off energy to sensitive people,' says the woman who took them, crop circle expert Lucy Pringle.

'There are certain ones that even I don't feel comfortable looking at.'

A case in point is an aerial shot of a pattern of triangles and diamonds taken in a cornfield at Aldbourne, Wiltshire.

'There is just something about it that makes me feel uncomfortable,' she says.

Mrs Pringle, who lives near Petersfield, Hampshire, has become something of a national expert on the crop circle phenomenon since being hooked by their mystery in 1990.

Nursing a painful shoulder injury after a tennis match, she had visited a crop circle which had appeared in a field at nearby Morestead.

'It was two circles with a linking shaft, a bit like a dumb bell,' she said. 'I sat down and a most curious sensation went through my shoulders and I realised there was a ripple of energy going through me. I was completely healed.

'It was at that point that I realised there was something going on in the circles for which there was no scientific explanation. That set me on my journey of exploration.'

The journey has included two books, founder membership of the Centre for Crop Circle Studies, a round the world lecture tour and the annual 'crop' of amazing photographs – some of which are reproduced here.

They include a design known as The Peacock's Feather at Uffington, Oxfordshire and a second even more complex arrangement which some claim has echoes of the Twin Towers.

Although cynics say the ever more intricate patterns are the work of computer scientists using teams of volunteers, others say there are simply not enough summer hours of darkness to allow them to be completed without the human workforce being discovered in the act.

Someone, somewhere is trying to send us a message, they say. The only problems are, what is the message? And how are we supposed to respond?

Mrs Pringle, a survivor of the hoaxers who demonstrated how to make authentic-looking crop circles with lengths of rope and planking, is among those who believes some unseen and unknown intelligence is responsible.

Theories

The favourite theory is that colossal energy is amassed above the earth in the ionosphere and then zapped towards the ground where it creates the crop circle – usually on chalky ground in areas traditionally known for their 'energy lines' and mystical past.

'Some crop circles are clearly manmade, but others defy explanation,' she said. 'I believe these circles originate in the ionosphere and travel down to earth in vortical form, hitting the ground with hundreds of thousands of volts per metre, just for a nano second. This softens the plants at their base, allowing them to fall. Any longer and the crop would burn.

'I believe there has to be an intelligence behind this, but what intelligence it is, I have absolutely no idea whatsoever. If you can't explain, and I can't explain how we get these incredible shapes, there has to be an unknown intelligence.'

See more of Lucy Pringle’s work at http://www.lucypringle.co.uk/.

A gallery of some of Britain's crop circles.

Crop circle expert Lucy Pringle has captured stunning images of the 'crop circle' phenomena, as this aerial shot taken in Shalbourne, Wiltshire, shows.
-------------------------

This eye-catching crop circle made up of triangles and diamonds appeared in a field in Aldbourne, Wiltshire, in July 2005.
©Lucy Pringle
--------------------------

This intricate arrangement appeared in a field in Uffington, Oxfordshire.
©Lucy Pringle
--------------------------

Circles running in concentric patterns mae up this beautiful image in Windmill Hill, Wiltshire.
©Lucy Pringle
---------------------------

This complicated picture appeared in July this year in a field in Rollright, Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire.
©Lucy Pringle
----------------------------

Is someone out there trying to send us a message. Does this amazing crop circle in West Overton, Wiltshire, suggest forces other than human are at home.
©Lucy Pringle
-----------------------------

This intricate design in Uffington, Oxforshire is known as the Peacock's Feather - for obvious reasons.
©Lucy Pringle
-----------------------------

Onlookers (who look tiny) look on amazed as they contemplate how this circle - made up of intricate geometric designs - came to be in this field in Woolstone Hill, Uffington.
©Lucy Pringle
---------------------------------

Precisly placed hexagons form this crop circle, photographed in Juggler's Lane, Cherhill.
©Lucy Pringle

Photographed in June 2006, this design in Silbury, Wiltshire, contains three circles in one.
©Lucy Pringle
----------------------------------

Another shot of the Peacock's Feather, taken in July 2006.
©Lucy Pringle

A pyramid design surrounded by diamonds and circles makes up this crop circle in Aldbourne, Wiltshire.
©Lucy Pringle
----------------------------------

These rings in a field in Savernake, Wiltshire, almost give off a 3-D effect.
©Lucy Pringle
------------------------------------

This intricate crop circle in Marden, Wiltshire, resembles a human eye. Does it mean someone is watching us?
©Lucy Pringle
---------------------------------------

Perfectly aligned circles within a circle make up this design in Avebury, Wiltshire.
©Lucy Pringle

dailymail.co.uk