Trekky fan builds 'world's largest maze' as tribute

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Trekky fan builds 'world's largest maze' as tribute
14th July 2006

A farmer who has created what he believes to be the world's largest maze said today it is a tribute to mark the 40th anniversary of Star Trek.

Visitors to the York Maze, in North Yorkshire, can get lost running around the Starship Enterprise, in Mr Spock's head or on a "Borg cube".

The maze, which is just outside York, covers 32 acres - the equivalent of 15 football pitches. It was designed using satellite technology which meant the paths could be cut to an accuracy of half a metre.

Farmer Tom Pearcy said it is the first time this technology has been used in maze design.

He added: "I'm a big fan of Star Trek and wanted to do my bit to help mark the 40th anniversary.

It gave me the opportunity to use some instantly recognisable images in the design.

"By using the GPS satellite technology I have been able to be much more creative."

And Mr Pearcy continued the theme by inviting Captain Jean-Luc Picard look-alike Giles Aston top perform the grand opening today.

Mr Aston said: "There are many events taking place around the world this year to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Star Trek.

"Creating he biggest maize maze in the world to mark the occasion is a fantastic tribute to the series.

"I know that Star Trek fans everywhere like myself will be thrilled to see this."

The maze, which opens to the public on Saturday, is cut from a vast field of maize which is planted in May. The design is cut in June and the crop is then harvested in September to feed the local Jersey cows.

It contains 1.5 million individual plants.

In previous years Mr Pearcy has produced ever expanding mazes in the design of a Viking Longship, a Spiders Web, the Flying Scotsman and Big Ben

dailymail.co.uk