Do you support Inter-marriage??

Would you be supportive of Inter-marriage??

• Total voters

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Now for people who are not married, and people who are married but may have a son, daughter, a cousin a relative, a brother or sister who isn't married. Would you be supportive or acceptive if a family member or relative married someone who is of a different religion, race, ethnicity, nationality, language??

Kodiak

Electoral Member
Apr 26, 2006
Nanaimo
I would be supportative. My son dated a colored girl for three years and I never thought anything about it. But I can say that it was difficult in public especailly if they showed any affection. There was more that one person that had a hard time handling their differences.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
It's fine as long as they're not doing it just to flip you the bird. Marriage is tough enough without having any other flies splashed in the ointment. If the relationship sours they can cry to somebody else: oh, boohoo, poor little me!
In the end, most folks 'in love' will do and can do what they want. As long as it ain't on my dime.

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
Re: RE: Do you support Inter-marriage??

Kodiak said:
I would be supportative. My son dated a colored girl for three years and I never thought anything about it. But I can say that it was difficult in public especailly if they showed any affection. There was more that one person that had a hard time handling their differences.

You say that you never thought anything about it, but then you continue to state that it was difficult in public, if they showed any affection toward ech other. Was this difficulty on your part? Perhaps evidence of a deep-rooted prejudice?

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
The question is too broad. What is a different religion? A methodist marrying a Lutherin is not quite as dramatic as a fundamentalist Black Muslim from Sudan wanting to marry a white Mormon from Alberta.

I wouldn't want my daughter marrying into a religion that treated her as property and made her a virtual slave to inlaws. Or a religion and society that practiced polygamy and she was 40 years younger than her husband and labeled wife number 4. Or a society or religion that insisted all women have a clitorectomy (sp?).

It's always easy to say 'I'm so acceptable and open to everyone. The Brotherhood of Man and we are all creatures of the Earth, blah...blah. '

Quite another when it's the real world and the rubber hits the road and your potential grand daughters are married off at 5 years of age to someone they have never seen.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
Every person has a right to do as he pleases with his life. And I strongly believe that everyone should mind his own business, and not try to live other people's lives for them. So I will be acceptive.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Re: RE: Do you support Inter-

LittleRunningGag said:
I would as well. Although, I have anecdotal evidence that two people with strong, and differing, religious beliefs can fall apart when issues involving children come about.

I agree to that fact. I could agree in a very religious household it might fall apart from religion and what religion children chooses.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Re: RE: Do you support Inter-marriage??

Kodiak said:

Yeah i have seen that too with people who might look at a couple if they might be black and white or different and why they are hanging out together or having affectioniate feelings towards each other.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
As long as the couple is aware of everything about the other's faith,etc. and enter willingly into a marriage..it doesn't matter as long no one is forced into it.

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
GuyIncognito said:
I fully support inter-marriage of people but what I will not stand for is people dating Robots, or marrying Robots.... The thought Sickens me.
You got Metal Fever, boy! Metal Fever!

If you ever spend any time in Sarnia, robots will become very appealing to you. That's a commentary on the people in Sarnia... Robots make better company. :lol:

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
Jersay said:
So too athabaska that means no. Thank you for going around the long way. :D

No. It means that life isn't simplistic and there is more to the human condition than your own experience. A kneejerk 'yes' may be politically correct but there is a real world that can't always be divided into 'yes and no' or 'I'm an enlightened individual and you're not'.

The overwhelming majority of people in the world are not comfortable with everybody marrying anybody. Not because they are ignorant or not but because they understand that there are real consequences. Do they want their daughter beaten and ostracized? Grandchildren shuuned and disowned? Children not able to rise above a station in life? If your daughter is a Muslim and she marries a Jew, do you think she will be welcomed by her grandparents when she visits the small village in Bangladesh?

The irony of your comments is that you claim to be 'open' but your perspective is from a narrow slit devoid of other experiences. You 'assume' a liberal western culture in which everyone is 'just like us'. There was a famous book called 'Black like me' and one of the themes was that white liberals are open as long as being open means that everyone can be just like them.

I don't think you are a willing bigot but ignorance is apparent.

hint: 95% of the world's population doesn't live in ignorance while western white liberals bask in enlightenment.

Kodiak

Electoral Member
Apr 26, 2006
Nanaimo
You say that you never thought anything about it, but then you continue to state that it was difficult in public, if they showed any affection toward ech other. Was this difficulty on your part? Perhaps evidence of a deep-rooted prejudice?

You misunderstood me, I didn't have the problem it was those around us, mostly those of the older generation. My son made his choice and I accepted it, who ever he chose to be his partner. I had the experience of an unexcepting mother-in-law and swore that my boys partners would never have to go through the same thing I accept people as they are. That is not to say that I like every one I meet but, I accept differences.

Sorry I am not computer literate enough to show that the first paragraph is from Simpleton.