Hans of my bike.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A German cyclist travelled 335,000 miles around the world on his bike, a journey which he started in 1962. He could leave it alone for a few minutes in every country he travelled in knowing that it'll still be there when he returned - until he reached Britain.

Hahahahaha! Revenge for World War II, mein Freund.

Hans off my bike

By PETE BELL
Sun Online

A ROUND-THE-WORLD cyclist who travelled 335,000 miles on the same machine arrived in England yesterday - and had his bike nicked.

Heinz Stucke had just arrived in Portsmouth as part of his endless voyage, which began in 1962, when thieves stole his bicycle while he was asleep in his tent.

The German traveller said: "I would do anything to get my bike back - I’m emotionally attached to it."

Mr Stucke, who was registered as the Most Travelled Man in History in the Guinness Book of Records between 1995 and 1999, set his tent up after getting off a ferry at the port.

But a few hours later, at about 3am on Monday, he went to check on his bike and discovered it was missing.

The stolen bicycle is black with two sets of handlebars and is covered in stickers from around the world.

Now PC Paul Jones, who received the report of the theft, has taken pity on Mr Stucke, 66, from Germany, and arranged for a replacement to be donated to him from the force's lost property.

PC Jones, of Hampshire Police, said: "I just felt sorry for Mr Stucke and wanted to help him as much as I could.

"I think someone just saw his bike and thought it would be fun to take it."

thesun.co.uk

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
>> Hahahahaha! Revenge for World War II, mein Freund.

Whats with your obsession with spreading hate? WWII was over 60 years ago now and you're attacking him just because he's German? Not cool.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
You only like to forget about it because you're German.

With all the horrors that you committed, that's quite natural.

However, it was ONLY 60 years ago, and my grandparents can remember what it was like watching our cities being demolished by the Luftwaffe and having to be evacuted. No German person will ever be welcomed into the home of my grandparents. No way. We still find unexploded German bombs in our gardens and fields and streets. Even rationing was still in effect in some area until as late as the 1980s.

It's gonna take a LONG time for the British, and other non-German Europeans, to forget about the War.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Maybe this has something to do with the reason his bike was stolen.

UK 'has worst behaviour problem in Europe'

Matt Weaver and agencies
Tuesday May 9, 2006

Go on, son, hit him! - Us? Rowdy? An altercation at pub closing time in Bristol. Photograph: Matt Cardy/Getty Images.

Britain is perceived as one of the most loutish countries in Europe, according to a new survey published today, just a month before the start of the World Cup in Germany.

The poll, taken in six European countries including the UK, found that 76% of respondents thought Britain had a "big or moderate problem" with antisocial behaviour - a higher percentage than for any of the other countries involved.

Despite riots in the country's suburbs in November, France was rated just behind the UK (75%), followed by Germany (61%), Italy (52%) and Spain (51%). The Netherlands (44%) were at the bottom of the list.

The survey, which was conducted by University College London's Jill Dando institute of crime for the security firm ADT, found that 95% agreed that antisocial behaviour was a big or moderate problem.

The survey also revealed a sharp contrast in national attitudes to tackling unruly behaviour. It found that in Germany, six out of 10 people would challenge a group of 14-year-olds vandalising a bus shelter, but in Britain six out of ten would not.

"These perceptions, both inside and outside of Britain, are worrying," said Adrian Casey, the managing director of ADT Europe & South Africa.

"We have to seriously ask what sort of reception our fans travelling to the football World Cup and Brits on holiday abroad will receive when the rest of Europe perceives us to have such a problem with troublemakers.

"Government and policy makers may challenge them with statistics on crime and disorder, but as a nation we don't believe this situation is under control."

A breakdown of discipline in British homes and schools was seen as a factor by 79% of respondents, and nearly half believed stricter sentencing would help tacklethe problem. It also found that two thirds of Britons thought drink was a key factor.

"This research is a wake-up call. We know antisocial behaviour is a major issue in Great Britain and the rest of Europe clearly agrees," said Professor Gloria Laycock of the Jill Dando Institute.

"The study shows people believe it is fuelled by the excessive consumption of alcohol. Increasing our access to alcohol cannot be the answer and it is time that the government addressed perceptions of this problem."

Across Europe the top three concerns about behaviour were vandalism (70%), rowdy behaviour (59%) and disrespectful behaviour (58%).

In France and Italy, residential housing estates were seen as the location of greatest risk. For the Germans it was transport termini, for the British and Spanish around bars, nightclubs and pubs and for the Dutch in shopping areas.

The survey was carried out in January and questioned just over a 1,000 people in the six countries concerned.

guardian.co.uk

nelk

Electoral Member
May 18, 2005
atlantic canada
Blackleaf you sank to a low.

Your comments initially and then repeated again dont make sense.

War, like many other things in this world take (at least) two to tango.

If we all hang on to past deeds, especially if dearly payed for , you eliminate the hope for better future and hurt yourself the most.

Get on the high road; be part of the solution not the problem.

Let's wish that the cyclist gets on his bike soon; and may be you should join him for a stretch . Helps to get along better too.

Dont forget you anglo saxon race is closely related to the germanic.
Though if they are the ugly and bad "huns", you are their not so distant cousin.
We are all in the same boat; and real problems need be solved;
only pigs and dirty dogs like to wallow in past shit.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Like Nelk said, the war ended 60 years ago. You can remember it and have it in the back of your mind all you want bt if you keep the chip on your shoulder man its not helpful.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Re: RE: Hans of my bike.

A little FYI: I am the founder of Canadian Content and a dual Canadian-British citizen. Don't let my place of residence fool you.

Now lets hear some valid reply to my previous comment.

Blackleaf said:
You only like to forget about it because you're German.

With all the horrors that you committed, that's quite natural.

However, it was ONLY 60 years ago, and my grandparents can remember what it was like watching our cities being demolished by the Luftwaffe and having to be evacuted. No German person will ever be welcomed into the home of my grandparents. No way. We still find unexploded German bombs in our gardens and fields and streets. Even rationing was still in effect in some area until as late as the 1980s.

It's gonna take a LONG time for the British, and other non-German Europeans, to forget about the War.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Blackleaf wasn't around during WW2, and his parents likely weren't either. The people who were involved in the start of that war are either very old or dead. In any case, it is never a time for hate. If we spent as much time understanding, we might not have wars.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Good point. And you have to get past hatred. I lost thre great uncles and a great grandfather in both wars and do I feel any hate for German people. No!

And by understanding why the two world wars occured you can understand how to ensure a third one can't occur.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Jersay said:
Good point. And you have to get past hatred. I lost thre great uncles and a great grandfather in both wars and do I feel any hate for German people. No!

Vell, mein Jersay, me neither, no hate, but I really don't think the Holocaust was such a brilliant idea.
I don't harbour any hate for the Japanese either, although I had an uncle tortured to death by them during the Burma campaign; and the rape of Nanking was probably not such a great idea either.

If "we" (your'e right, I wasen't there) had lost, we would probably all be slaves, dead, speaking German, Japanese, whatever; so, it's not a really good thing to..............."just let it go" either. We don't have to wear it on our sleeves, or live in the past, but certainly should not just....."let it go"....Christ! What an inane braindead concept.

Anyway, to get back to the lighter side: It looks like our German friend was "Stucke" without a bike.

Oh, that was badddd. :oops:

Ugg. :lol:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
nelk said:
Blackleaf you sank to a low.

Your comments initially and then repeated again dont make sense.

War, like many other things in this world take (at least) two to tango."
Actually, Nelk, Blackleaf's post was pretty funny IMHO, ha ha.

How stupid are you?

Although US foreign policy amongst other things had some bearing on the Japanese decision to attack Pearl Harbour, thereby bringing the US into the war, your statement of "two to tango" is just complete shit.

THE WESTERN POWERS, British Commonwealth, US, DID NOT START THE SECOND WORLD WAR. I'm not living in the past, or refusing to see the present or the future; it's JUST A FACT. One about which you seem to be completely ignorant.

If the Western Powers had not defended Europe, thus themselves, Hitler was heading for world domination, along with his Axis buddies.

Read your Goddamn history.

Ah, enough. You are just too dumb to be bothered with.

Ugg.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Actually through appeasement it is believed that Europe America and Britain allowed Hitler to grow in power. Because if they stood up to him in 1934, he was so weak in power, he would have been gone in a coup or through foreign action.

But this is through hindsight, these other nations, America, Britain and others had the Great Depression and other things to deal with instead of invading Germany again in their defence.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Good point Jersay:

"Peace in our time" was the word everyone wanted to hear.
And "we" dithered, and wished, and pissed around, and damn near lost.
A few right thinking minds wanted to stop Hitler, and were shouted down; later extolled as heroes after a few million people killed.

Exactly my thinking when I hear people say "let it go". Makes me furious.

Just before someone does try to make the comparison however: WW2 can't be compared to Georgie's pre emptive strike. Saddam wasen't about to invade England or France.

I'm goin back to the "Jokes" section.

All this here thinkin is givin me a headache.

:roll:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
When he last cycled into Britain in 1978, he parked the bike briefly outside the Royal Observatory at Greenwich and someone stole his saddle.

The Times May 10, 2006

Welcome to Britain (let me take that)
By Alan Hamilton and Ian Evans

A cyclist pedalled 335,000 miles . . . then he reached Portsmouth

IT THREATENED a minor puncture to Anglo-German relations and to ruin one man’s 44-year cycling odyssey.

Hours after arriving by ferry in Britain and after cycling 335,000 miles in 211 countries and territories, Heine Stücke had his bike stolen.

The German traveller was asleep in his tent in Portsmouth on Monday when the thief struck, riding away his trusty two-wheel sidekick and leaving him distraught.

Despite extensive searches of the city, assisted by police, Herr Stücke feared that he would not find his bike, which accompanied him to some of the world’s more far-flung places.

During his travels he has been shot at in Zambia, arrested in Cameroon, stung by swarms of bees in The Gambia and involved in accidents in Alaska, Iran, Chile and Guatemala. He has entered the record books as the world’s most travelled cyclist, at 335,000 miles and 211 countries and territories, all on the same modest boneshaker.

The doyen of the Lycra shorts set said: “I had just got off the ferry from Le Havre. I covered my bicycle with a canvas and tied it up with string and bungee cords outside my tent.

“I even left my tent door open so that I could see it, but when I awoke at 3am it had gone.” Herr Stücke, 66, has been on the move since he left his home town of Hövelhof in 1962 in pursuit of the freewheeling life and is revered in cycling circles, where he is known simply as the Bike Man.

Herr Stücke was planning to cycle to Greenland on the next leg of his trip, a journey that he feared he would not be making with his distinctive bike.

Until last night. To his relief, and presumably the Portsmouth tourist board’s, the cyclist was reunited with his bicycle after it was found abandoned in a park. He said: “It is not a very nice welcome to England, especially with it being in the first few hours, but I somehow have to blame myself because I take these risks.

“It has not made me think badly about England, these things happen, this is not the only country where similar things have happened.” Herr Stücke said that the last time his bike was stolen was in Siberia ten years ago and it was four days before it was returned to him.

Police searching for the bike would not have had too much trouble identifying it. It is an old-fashioned, German-built, three-speed-gear shopper-style bike painted black with a piece of wood attached to the frame showing a map of the world and Herr Stücke’s marathon journey around it.

When he last cycled into Britain in 1978, he parked the bike briefly outside the Royal Observatory at Greenwich and someone stole his saddle.

Herr Stücke holds the Guinness world record for the most countries visited by bicycle; he completed the list of sovereign states when he cycled through the Seychelles in 1996. Now he is visiting every territory that is not in itself an independent country.

He funds his lifestyle by selling brochures and postcards of his peripatetic life. “Most people want to do this kind of thing for a year or two after their studies, but then you do not stay free because you need money so you go back to your country and then the woman comes and there is a family and a mortgage.”

He travels light, with only a spare shirt, camera, binoculars, rice, noodles and sardines. Had he followed crime prevention advice he would have carried a padlock and chain and camped near a lamppost.

thetimesonline.co.uk

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
nelk said:
...How stupid are you?
...is just complete shit
...You are just too dumb

Good comments; what is your education level?oldnugly

Maybe learning about some manners, I suggest.

Nelk:
You're absolutley right.
No excuse for expressing myself in such a low manner.'
Usually I can do it without person to person confrontation; and am not on this board to make enemies, but to have fun.

Although I still think Blackleaf got a pasting he didn't deserve for what he hoped was humour (IMHO it was), that still doesn't excuse gutter talk.

I hope you will accept my apology.

Sincerely: OldnUgly.

nelk

Electoral Member
May 18, 2005
atlantic canada
Thanks, no offence carried forward.

We all get carried away sometimes; and I am happy to be forgiven too.

And Blackleaf shouldn't feel bad either; I still like reading his stuff.

Good Day Nelk :)