Lightning strikes football players.

Blackleaf
Lightning hits football players

Lightning swept across the west of Scotland

A footballer has ended up in hospital after lightning struck several players at a Dumfries amateur game.

Ross Findlater was the worst affected when players and fans were hit during the match between Lochside Colts and the Crown Hotel on Thursday night.

A Colts spokesman said lightning struck in the second half, just after Mr Findlater had come on as a substitute.

His condition is described as "stable" in Dumfries Infirmary but he was being kept in for observation.

Colts founder member Davie Nish said his team was about midway through the second half of its Makita Power First Division tie when the storm struck their Glentrool Park ground.

"There had been rain and lightning in the distance but it was nowhere near," he told the BBC Scotland news website.

A heavy downpour then started and spectators put up umbrellas and started to take shelter.

One of the players had just scored a goal to put the home team 4-1 up when the sheet of lightning hit a number of people.

'Very concerned'

"The bolt went through my umbrella onto my hands," said Mr Nish.

"Four or five of the players went down on the park.

"I spoke to them and all of them said they were affected from the knees down.

"Obviously Ross was the worst - we were very concerned about him. He was in a pretty bad way."

He added that Findlater was the only one of the team taken to hospital, while the other players had minor tingles in their fingers and legs.

A spokesman for Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary confirmed that Mr Findlater was still in hospital.

His condition was described as "stable" but still under observation.

news.bbc.co.uk

I think not
Blackleaf, no offense but you can use a good jolt yourself.

no new posts