Double cheeseburger, fries, and a coke--$.67....

Carolyn

Nominee Member
I'm watching Divorce, American Style (1967). Dick Van Dyke's character goes to MacDonald's and shells out a whopping $.67 for his dinner. I can't help but laugh when I watch older movies that show how much things cost back then. I don't remember the name of the movie, but there is an old Humphrey Bogart movie where he is driving across the desert and his gas gage is shown on empty. He pulls into a lone desert gas station, tells the guy to fill up his tank, and goes inside to make a phone call. When he comes back out he hands the guy a one dollar bill and says, "keep the change". I love it! :toothy7:

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
The Simpson's episode when they come to Toronto and Homer and the family go to the CN Tower I believe have to leave and they gave the bus boy a American Dollar bill and the guy was all happy and all. The episode was done, what 6 years ago, when our dollar was sucking out because of Quebec and a few other things, it had just went down to I think 59cents the lowest it has ever been. When I saw the episode again a few nights ago I didn't really get the joke because our dollar has come back and is now around 91cents american. (though they say this may hurt us on exporting now, lol) How fast things can change sometimes.

quinton

Electoral Member
Jan 20, 2006
It's all about inflation, declining resources per capita, and money growing out of thin air as it is not backed by a gold standard or any real physical resource.

MsSparkie

Aug 19, 2006
Toronto (Mississauga)
RE: Double cheeseburger,

Prices in those days were very much lower, as were the wages, so it's all relative of course, as we all realize. However, what I envy most about those bygone days was their more simple lifestyle and less stress. That would be something to covet.