The disaster of alcoholism. "the mind is no longer mine


Socrates the Greek
#1
Many drink and drive and could not care less if they kill anyone else or them self’s.
People from all walks of life are affected with this difficult problem.
Yet Alcohol is the number one revenue producer for the Government.
The person who is dependent on alcohol on a daily bases is welcomed by the Government liquor stores to buy their alcohol, and after they go home to drink it, they would be called drunks after they have consumed two bottles of wine, or five bottles of beer, or two whisky 26rs, and on and on.
Many that have these type of problems and do nothing about it are in total denial, thus causing further damage to their young and spouses of their family unit.
The answer to all this is simple, these people are having trouble with taping into their inner willpower energy as a result of a depression past or present and the end result is a medicating dependency that kills many.
The subconscious part of their mind which notices and remembers information when they are not actively trying to do so, it influences their behaviour although they are not aware of it. The subconscious is the distractive force behind all this problems, and many find it easier to medicate with alcohol as you can appreciate, with over the limit "the mind is no longer mine".
The subconscious part of the brain is locked on auto pilot and it interferes with reality which causes them not to be interested in unlocking this difficult dilemma because the subconscious is screaming in silence "hey we are not finished yet.
Many people with this difficulty in silence are willing to punish them self’s for something they have done in the past which has been horrible and instead of dealing with it, they would rather keep it secret while they in silence are medicating them self with alcohol for two reasons, #1 to punish them self’s, and #2 to escape the secret reality which keeps haunting them on a day to day basis.
 
Cosmo
#2
Not to be adversarial, Socrates, but are you an expert on this topic? A recovering alcoholic? A trained professional? Just curious since it seems like an unusual lecture to offer up without any link or story attached.
 
Socrates the Greek
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by Cosmo

Not to be adversarial, Socrates, but are you an expert on this topic? A recovering alcoholic? A trained professional? Just curious since it seems like an unusual lecture to offer up without any link or story attached.

Cosmo, the purpose of my post is not to advertise my expertise. On this forums one dose not have to be an export to be here. As for a recovering alcoholic I AM NOT!!!!
I am sure on my posting it is clear that my reasoning is not self serving. I am sorry you took offence to my post seeing it as a lecture. Maybe you start a forum with your own way on mental composure but the world is cyclical not a straight line. The rain bow is multicolour not black and white.
 
TenPenny
#4
"they would be called drunks after they have consumed two bottles of wine, or five bottles of beer, or two whisky 26rs, and on and on."

If I consumed two bottles of wine, or two 26ers of whisky, I'd be asleep or dead. 5 beer is only one bottle of wine, and is equivalent to what, 5 oz of whisky.

So you're comparing 5 beer to 2 bottles of wine (10 beer) to 52 oz whisky (52 beer). And you're only considered a drunk if it's a habitual thing.

I don't know if you realize it, but they tried banning alcohol once, it didn't work. The thing to do is change our culture; for some reason, North Americans are wacky about alcohol, and I think this leads to abuse.
 
Alberta'sfinest
#5
I don't know why you'd assume alcoholism is a crutch, when it's actually caused by your brain deciding that it's a much more preferred mindset. Many people are care-free and less inhibited, which can make them more sociable and successful with the opposite sex. It brings people together mostly in a good mood despite some violence prone people, and usually is associated with good times. If your life is like mine it's not usually a party and as a result your brain yerns for that happiness that is experienced in association of alcohol. This causes a craving for alcohol, which is really just a craving for the happy times it's usually associated with. The road gets ugly once you start drinking constantly, even when not in happy or social settings and it starts effecting your life.

The reason this happens to many is because of the way our brains save memories. When the something good happens to us our brain releases happy drugs like dopamine, seratonin, and endorphins. When the memory is recorded, it records the event, the circumstances and stimulus around the event, and the emotion being felt in correlation.

Drugs are especially effective at creating addictions because many of them themselves are similar compounds or directly effect the production or uptake of the happy drugs released by your brain. Endorphins, is actually Latin, and is translated as inside morphine. Opiates are a natural drug found in poppies that has a similar chemical structure and effect on the body. It's released for two reasons in the body, to attach a good feeling to something that is pleasurable like sex, or any physical activity, or in pain regulation. So a heroin addict could be using because it's regulating mental anquish, or because it makes them feel great, often when their lives aren't so great. However, some people have become addicts of internal chemicals, like joggers and sex addicts. They technically have the same addiction. It often tends to drive them to jog longer and further, or have sex all the time. Really, the only difference between these two different groups is that joggers and sex addicts won't overdose, while someone who controls the amounts through direct injections can.
What makes people keep pushing for more and more is that our brains have a threshold, and with each additional use it becomes larger, to even out the effects on the brain from the drug. Basically your brain starts to think that the excess is normal, and no longer thinks it's high on the drug, so people keep taking more and more until to push the threshold. I reality, if people used and then ebbed for a week, they could do heroin all their lives without any negative effects. However, many people who resort to drug use are fairly week willed, have many emotional problems, and the good feelings tend to effect the person so profoundly in the positive, they're brain becomes addicted to this artificial happy feeling, and they become daily addicts.

If you really want to tackle a massive problem that leads to all of the vices that destroy people such as drugs, overeating, and alcohol, learn why people are so emotionally unforfilled in life, which is the only reason they have become susceptable to these problems.

I already figured it out for you, we're being repressed and turned into a society of selfishness to destroy our ability to fight back against the system that profits a few at the expense of everyone else. I think it's more than obvious that society is being exploited in this way, yet people aren't becoming aware because of the mass manipulation that steers us in this direction.

I quit being part of the system, and you can too. Now I'm going to be running my own company, building my own house, growing my own food, marry a nice woman and have a few kids, while tightening my ties to my family and benefitting my community through personal achievement. When people start realizing that by supporting eachother, instead of corporations and share holders who are only extracting your communities wealth, we can all live very forfilling lives. Slave for your own gain, not someone elses.
Drug and alcohol abuse would all but dissappear in a community driven by this philosophy. I know it's the right way to live because I had a hell of a struggle with depression as a kid into early adulthood. I was pretty lost in life, smoked a lot of pot, and eventually I found my path and haven't looked back. I actually still support marijuana legalization because I was never dependent, and have pretty much quit. I'll smoke every now and then, but not everday, maybe once a month or less. I don't drink much either. I'm having a hell of time finding a nice women to share my life with though, because I'm different than the majority, and different makes people warry.
 
Socrates the Greek
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by Alberta'sfinest

I don't know why you'd assume alcoholism is a crutch, when it's actually caused by your brain deciding that it's a much more preferred mindset. Many people are care-free and less inhibited, which can make them more sociable and successful with the opposite sex. It brings people together mostly in a good mood despite some violence prone people, and usually is associated with good times. If your life is like mine it's not usually a party and as a result your brain yerns for that happiness that is experienced in association of alcohol. This causes a craving for alcohol, which is really just a craving for the happy times it's usually associated with. The road gets ugly once you start drinking constantly, even when not in happy or social settings and it starts effecting your life.
The reason this happens to many is because of the way our brains save memories. When the something good happens to us our brain releases happy drugs like dopamine, seratonin, and endorphins. When the memory is recorded, it records the event, the circumstances and stimulus around the event, and the emotion being felt in correlation.
Drugs are especially effective at creating addictions because many of them themselves are similar compounds or directly effect the production or uptake of the happy drugs released by your brain. Endorphins, is actually Latin, and is translated as inside morphine. Opiates are a natural drug found in poppies that has a similar chemical structure...

Quote has been trimmed

Alberta'sfinest, all you say on your post is good, the point we are discussing is about many mothers who have to wear big fish-eye-lens dark sunglasses to hide their eyes that look the eyes of a boxer after a bad beating on the ring. The social benefits alcohol offers if done respectfully are good. We are not talking about banning alcohol; we are talking about insuring moderation. One difficulty we find our self’s in, is that the person suffering depression is the person in some cases he or she are likely to be a problem to each other or the kids. No one can argue the method of extracurricular activity it is an individual liberty that sits with the individual. The problem again is that many individuals affected by this, are caught in a moment of self questioned and do not have the ability to answer sincere question to inner self because of the depressed state they are in and more than enough booze is required, consumed, and the scenario is bad for the ones affected this way, particularly for badly physically and mentally abused single women single mothers and mothers in general.
 
Alberta'sfinest
#7
I'm a little confused, I thought your post was about how people are using alcohol as punishment and as an escape from their depression. I was merely trying to rectify what their addiction was, which is nothing more than their brain recording emotion in congruance with the use of alcohol in a positive way. It may end up as a negative, and that's the bitch of it. If someone is violent while using alcohol, they should deal with their anger problems, but blaming alcohol for ones behaviour is misinformed. Alcohol may bring out the worst in people, but the worst must be there for it to do so. The majority of alcoholics aren't actually violent, and this is nothing more than a stereotype. Its the same as saying that people who smoke pot are lazy and dumb. Albert Einstein smoked pot, was he dumb?
Here's one for you, many men are also abused by violent women aswell while drunk and sober. These instances are rarely reported because of male pride, but they happen. It sounds like you should change this thread to one about domestic violence, factors that increase it's occurrance, and the denial and stigma about admitting to being a perpetrator or victim of domestic violence. You're only targetting a factor and not adressing the overall encompassing problem within society. It's just being presented wrong.
 
Said1
#8
I would say a large percent of alcoholics are perfectly functional and not violent. Meaning that their drinking, has little effect on getting things done ie: going to work, cutting the grass etc. I'm not saying there isn't negative effects on their families mentally as a result of living with someone who often doesn't remember the converstion you had with them the day before, but they still have a nice house, cars, trips, money in the bank etc.

I would say bindgers are a little more volitile, but again, a small percentage of them are violent and verbally abusive. As AB said, these things are prevelant when they aren't drunk.

People are alcoholics for any number of reasons, but I would agree that people don't drink because they are happy, it tends to be what makes them happy or feel happy and uninhibited - for those who have a lot of trouble expressing themselves.
 
Cosmo
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Socrates the Greek

Cosmo, the purpose of my post is not to advertise my expertise. On this forums one dose not have to be an export to be here. As for a recovering alcoholic I AM NOT!!!!
I am sure on my posting it is clear that my reasoning is not self serving. I am sorry you took offence to my post seeing it as a lecture. Maybe you start a forum with your own way on mental composure but the world is cyclical not a straight line. The rain bow is multicolour not black and white.

No insult intended nor none taken, Socrates. I was wondering what moved you to start such a topic is all. I am a recovered alcoholic so it caught my attention.

As for starting my own forum, umm ... I'm an admin here, so it kinda is my forum. And the rainbow ... well, I'm also a dyke so I'm quite familiar with that symbol!

Quote: Originally Posted by Alberta'sfinest

Many people are care-free and less inhibited, which can make them more sociable and successful with the opposite sex. It brings people together mostly in a good mood despite some violence prone people, and usually is associated with good times.

I agree, Alberta. I see people drinking all the time who are not alcoholic and who enjoy it. Lucky them! Some of us can't do it, but for lots of folks it's simply a social lubricant. The only issue is that portion of drinkers who are juiceheads but won't own up to it and go around bashing their autos into innocent people and being generall a$$holes. Perhaps that was the segment Socrates was referring to. *shrug*

I particularly liked your comment:
Quote:

If you really want to tackle a massive problem that leads to all of the vices that destroy people such as drugs, overeating, and alcohol, learn why people are so emotionally unforfilled in life, which is the only reason they have become susceptable to these problems.

How true! Escapism comes in a multitude of forms and the answer is to find a way to make ones own life so fulfilling we don't want to escape from it. Emotional clean up and re-thinking my values went a long way toward that in my case. From your comments it sounds like you are creating a situation that works for you. Congrats on that! Not everyone is as insightful nor as brave. It takes some courage to step outside the traditional corporate nine-to-five desk worship.

Quote: Originally Posted by Said1

I would say a large percent of alcoholics are perfectly functional and not violent. Meaning that their drinking, has little effect on getting things done ie: going to work, cutting the grass etc. I'm not saying there isn't negative effects on their families mentally as a result of living with someone who often doesn't remember the converstion you had with them the day before, but they still have a nice house, cars, trips, money in the bank etc.

So true, Said1! Used to be that an alcoholic was that rummy on the park bench drinking out of a brown bag. What people tend to forget is that folks don't start homeless on a park bench. It's a process and one we can stop at any point in the slide if sufficiently motivated. I had a house, car, job ... all the trappings, but emotionally I was no further ahead than the traditional concept we hold of down and out alkies. I was fortunate enough to be dragged to an AA meeting before I lost my physical assets, is all.

In my opinion, drinking is not the problem but a symptom of a deeper underlying issue. I've heard it said -- and I agree -- that drinking wasn't my problem, it was my solution. To stop drinking and not take care of the reasons behind it is a little like putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound. Not really going to do a lot of good.
 
Socrates the Greek
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Alberta'sfinest

I'm a little confused, I thought your post was about how people are using alcohol as punishment and as an escape from their depression. I was merely trying to rectify what their addiction was, which is nothing more than their brain recording emotion in congruance with the use of alcohol in a positive way. It may end up as a negative, and that's the bitch of it. If someone is violent while using alcohol, they should deal with their anger problems, but blaming alcohol for ones behaviour is misinformed. Alcohol may bring out the worst in people, but the worst must be there for it to do so. The majority of alcoholics aren't actually violent, and this is nothing more than a stereotype. Its the same as saying that people who smoke pot are lazy and dumb. Albert Einstein smoked pot, was he dumb?
Here's one for you, many men are also abused by violent women aswell while drunk and sober. These instances are rarely reported because of male pride, but they happen. It sounds like you should change this thread to one about domestic violence, factors that increase it's occurrance, and the denial and stigma about admitting to being a perpetrator or victim of domestic violence. You're only targetting a factor and not adressing the overall encompassing problem within society. It's just being presented wrong.

Quote has been trimmed
Hey Alberta’s finest, hold on for a minute, the underlined statements you make on your post are defensive and not on the same page as I am stating on my post. Today I am defending a mother of one or more children who has to take the daily beating from a man who is drunk and every time this man gets drunk explodes in physical violence. Now do you want to defend this man? I don’t quite follow your argument. On my original post in this thread I do mention how some cases men have suffered in the hands of bad wives. So what is you real argument? Don’t be so defensive.

So for you to say the worst in a person already exists, stop and visualise the true mining of the word Stress, because of a poor financial position, because of depression, because of many difficulties human beings are faced with in every day human life. So the person already in turmoil find them self's self-medicating to correct problem, while the problem will 100% in some cases get bad out of control while disaster is that family’s home. Where do we go from here?
 
Alberta'sfinest
#11
Ofcourse I'm defensive of my arguement, I'm defending it. Don't get to bent out of shape, you're defending yours, and I expect that.

I searched your first few threads, please point out where it says anything about the abuse being two sided. That parts irrelivent anyhow, I just couldn't find it.

First off, I wouldn't defend a man who beats up on women and children, I'd offer him help with his problem, as I would to anyone suffering his abuse. I understand the stresses in life, as I'm living too you know.

I don't think you understood what I meant by the worst being in someone. I actually have an anger problem, but the difference between me and the guy you're talking about is that I have self control. He's losing control, and needs to learn self-control. If drinking is a factor in him losing control, he should learn to control it or quit outright. For his stresses in life, I've found that for every problem there is a solution. The frustrations that I have that cause me anger however, there is no solution that I can easily achieve. My burden is a mountain in comparison to most peoples handful of pebbles. I just deal with it, and he can learn to aswell.
 
Socrates the Greek
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by Alberta'sfinest

Ofcourse I'm defensive of my arguement, I'm defending it. Don't get to bent out of shape, you're defending yours, and I expect that.

I searched your first few threads, please point out where it says anything about the abuse being two sided. That parts irrelivent anyhow, I just couldn't find it.

First off, I wouldn't defend a man who beats up on women and children, I'd offer him help with his problem, as I would to anyone suffering his abuse. I understand the stresses in life, as I'm living too you know.

I don't think you understood what I meant by the worst being in someone. I actually have an anger problem, but the difference between me and the guy you're talking about is that I have self control. He's losing control, and needs to learn self-control. If drinking is a factor in him losing control, he should learn to control it or quit outright. For his stresses in life, I've found that for every problem there is a solution. The frustrations that I have that cause me anger however, there is no solution that I can easily achieve. My burden is a mountain in comparison to most peoples handful of pebbles. I just deal with it, and he can learn to aswell.

If your self esteem is in better shape than his, then he is in a serious disadvantage. A person suffering from depression often booze will get them more depressed.
 
missile
#13
Well Doh! Alcohol is a depressant ,after all,so of course,it makes the drinker more depressed. But then, I was a heavy drinker for other reasons
 
Said1
#14
Yeah, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
 

Similar Threads

43
Alcoholism as a Disease
by karrie | Jan 29th, 2007
12
CA -No longer a "discount store" for Drugs
by Ocean Breeze | Jul 5th, 2005
no new posts