Marathon "knight" finally finishes after 8 days.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A man dressed up as St George, in a suit of armour, has finally finished the race - 8 DAYS after it started.

It took him so long as he was also dragging his dragon, weighing 200 lb along behind him - so heavy that it needed around 5 Royal Marines to carry into position before he chained himself to it in order to pull it along.....slowly.

According to legend, St George, England's patron saint, slew a dragon.

A few years ago, the same man ran the London Marathon in a deep-sea diving suit.

By CORINNE ABRAMS
Sun Online

St George and his dragon cross the finishing line - 8 days after starting.

A MAN who wore a suit of armour and hauled a dragon around this year's London Marathon course has finished - helping to raise £1.8million for charity.

Lloyd Scott, 44, said he was relieved to finish the race after taking eight days and 13 minutes to complete the 26.2-mile route.

Olympic medallist Sir Steve Redgrave was at the finish line on The Mall to announce that he and Mr Scott had raised more than £1.8million for charity, smashing last year’s record of £1.2million.

The money will be split between Mr Scott’s favourite charity, Children with Leukaemia, the Steve Redgrave Trust and the Association of Children’s Hospices.

Mr Scott, who famously completed the 2002 event in a deep sea diving suit, said: "I feel a certain amount of relief and I suppose elation at finishing, that I don’t have to put this suit on tomorrow and also that we smashed our fundraising record.

"It’s more difficult than doing it in a diving suit. The dragon has no momentum so, as soon as you stop, the dragon stops."

He said he will now take a week off before starting his next fundraiser - driving a Mini with flat tyres from Land’s End to John O’ Groats.

After that, he said he hoped to move into a more “orthodox role” in an office job with Children with Leukaemia.

His father, Ed Scott, said his son had spent at least nine hours a day in his armour.

"He has worked hard. It’s a killer. He has got a 200lb dragon and a 100lb suit of armour to carry around. It’s been hard from the minute he started."

Sir Steve said he was proud of Mr Scott.

"It’s been extremely tough on him. It’s a lot tougher than it looks and it looks tough," he said.

thesun.co.uk