The philosophy exam: urban myth??

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Many years ago too numerous to contemplate a friend of mine was a first year student in a Canadian university. As some first year students do, he became quite full of himself, took up smoking a pipe, wearing a knit tie with a work shirt and blue jeans (bell bottoms), and revelled in educating me, the as yet non university student.

His story was that on a final philosophy exam, the main question, worth about two thirds of the paper, was.........."WHY??"

Some students wrote reams, some had nervous breakdowns, some got up and left the room. One person answered with........."WHY NOT?" and received full marks.

My first reaction was "bullshit!!", but, I have always wondered.

Does ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE :?: :?:

Is this an urban legend, or is it in fact T R U E :!: :!: :!: :!:

There must be some folks in this Cdn. forum who have gone on to "higher education". Someone must know the truth.

AAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHH :!: :!: HELP.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Sorry Oldnugly but I studied Criminology, and philosophy wasn't part of the course. If you hadn't of posted the word "Philosophy" I wouldn't of know who to spell it. Philosophy is way to deep for me.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
me neither would no who to spell it if i hadnnt look ed it up.

i never took it eether. far to deap for moi.

far to deep far far.

i did moniter or monitor lizard a class of phil os o phy once tho and thought it was good, well not bad.

i much preferred english who i excelll at eh

except for speling and punktuation and who reely cars about that eh

Criminology would have been interesting Sassie, and I signed up for a course in it, then they caught me breaking parole,...............there ya go :roll:

:lol: :lol: Sorry, I've been working hard all day and get just reel giddy and mouth-run-off when that happens eh. Fatigeu, or tiredness.

ok im leaving

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:lol: :lol: Thanks Cortezzzz.

A friend in need by golly.

An I won't forget ya either.

Why what...........sh#t ya.........why what??

All these years and he was wrong................why what........why what??hhaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA 8O

All the nights stayed awake wondering.............hahahahahahahahaha

So unnecessary............ :cry: :cry: :cry:

If ya ever need anything Cortezzz..........ANYTHING :!: :!: ....well...within reason.

:idea:

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
oldnugly when I get tired I get giggly so no need to explain. Why, why not is what I say.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Dear Cuddly Nugly

http://www.snopes.com/college/exam/oneword.asp

Your question made Snopes - Urban Legend.

You can take what you wish from their answer because it isn't defined very well....

I would not be surprised at the level of academia these days - a one word answer could very well receive an "A"!!!

To quote Snopes: .....underscores the notion that a 'solid education' is sometimes an ornately decorated empty shell.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Wed.

Does this mean I'm famous :?:

Someone else asked the question before me right :?:

They didn't just publish that yesterday.....eh :?:

Am I going to be worth money :?:

Ever been to Mexico :?: :?:

:idea:

CUDDLY NUGLY..........HAR HAR good one Wed. I have been variously named:

OldnUgly.........by me
Ugg......by ....Zan
CUDDLY NUGLY......Wed.Chillun.
never named Late for Lunch........ :roll:

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
oldnugly said:
Many years ago too numerous to contemplate a friend of mine was a first year student in a Canadian university. As some first year students do, he became quite full of himself, took up smoking a pipe, wearing a knit tie with a work shirt and blue jeans (bell bottoms), and revelled in educating me, the as yet non university student.

His story was that on a final philosophy exam, the main question, worth about two thirds of the paper, was.........."WHY??"

Some students wrote reams, some had nervous breakdowns, some got up and left the room. One person answered with........."WHY NOT?" and received full marks.

My first reaction was "bullshit!!", but, I have always wondered.

Does ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE :?: :?:

Is this an urban legend, or is it in fact T R U E :!: :!: :!: :!:

There must be some folks in this Cdn. forum who have gone on to "higher education". Someone must know the truth.

AAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHH :!: :!: HELP.

Actually it was my Soc final and the correct answer was Why not? I got an A along with 4 other girls (Its an all girls teaching college, sister school to Harvard)(It was Lesley College in cambridge 1981) My Proff was a very young VERY cute VERY progressive teacher.