Okay this could be offensive to some.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Heres my problem, white bread verses whole wheat bread/multi-grained breads. I love white bread but it is nutritionaly void, it has no positive qualities. Whole Wheat bread is good for you but taste awful, and that god awful stuff called multi-grain now that stuff is just nasty. What is a girl to do?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
They all look pretty good when you throw rye bread into the list.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Definitely try different brands of whole wheat and multigrain breads, they differ a great deal in taste. I always make sure that whole wheat flour is the first ingredient, though, NOT unbleached flour (unless I am being wicked and enjoying my occasional favourite fried egg sandwich :oops: ).

A good loaf of whole wheat loaf should have so much flavour that it is enjoyable on its own, no topping at all, there's an underlying sweet nutty taste that is to die for.

Just keep trying, the good loaves are out there. The ones that have less flavour (in order to use them up before trying the next brand) are better if toasted and spread with unsalted butter. :D

Yum. I luff whole wheat bread!

<edited to add: SNEAKY subject line, Sassy!)

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
What the hell.

I have never paid any attention to the whole health/food thing. I am basically a carnivore, I love greasy burgers, steak, butter, cream, milk, chocolate, etc.

I bet I live to my mid-eighties, as that is the age my father, grandfather, and great grandfather all died.

Mind you, at 5'11" and 240 lbs I need to lose some weight.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
We got ourselves a breadmaker a while back and I got some recipes from a friend. The bread we make is phenomenal. We haven't had a bad loaf yet. The breadmaker was the best $125 I ever spent. You can set it up in the evening and have fresh, warm, bread in the morning when you get up. I like to experiment, add a bit of this, a bit of that, and I've had good results so far.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
juan,

i have often thought of making my own breads, but breadmakers would not work for me as i only eat unleavened breads (when i do eat breads that is)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
caracal

Pardon my ignorance. What does "unleavened" mean to you? Is it just the lack of yeast? There are several Irish soda breads that are without yeast, or is soda considered a leavening agent?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That's awesome! It's good stuff, too.

Since I recently had to turn vegetarian, I am thinking about entirely overhauling my diet (not just stop eating meat). Any suggestions?

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
eliminate dairy and eggs.
- eat plenty of greens.
- eat raw nuts (if not allergic - almonds, walnuts)
- go as close to the natural source as you can. ex fresh ground flax seeds for omega 3
- if you use oil, use cold pressed olive oil
- eat superfoods such as chlorella, spirulina
- eat what you need, not more
- eliminate all sugars, look up foods on the glycemic index chart and eat foods that maintain a constant blood sugar (avoid sugar spikes)
- eat as alkalyne as you can (look up alkalyne/ acid reducing foods)
- eat higher glycemic foods after workouts or during longer intensity workouts to maintain blood sugar levels.
- eliminate all sulphides, preservatives, artificial colours, caffiene, pop, chocolate, tap water alcohol, coffee, corn, corn starch, modern wheat, "puffed" foods like puffed rice like in rice cakes.
- do a proper cleanse
- if you like citrus fruits, stick with grapefruit over oranges or tangerines.
- ensure you get your efa's (if not from raw source use a good essential oil blend).

thats a start.

edit: learn what vitamins and minerals the plants provide and build your diet around ensuring you are getting what you need. However, note that what is in the plant is dependent on what is in the soil it grew in so there can be fluctuations. Eat organic if you can, especially plants that are more prone to absorbing pesticides if you don't eat entirely organic.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Thank you for the points, the caracal kid. Sounds like a very disciplined diet, though; I am not sure if, for example, I could give up Pepsi — especially not cold turkey ... it sounds like you give up a lot of the good stuff — can elaborate meals and stuff still be made with those kinds of "natural" products?

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
the meals can be as elaborate as you want them to be.

it may take a bit to adjust to changes in your palate though. North America has a "sweet tooth", for example.

edit: personal example:

I eat a fair bit of dulse. when I first ate it, it seemed foreign to me, but I found ways to work it into my diet because of what it offers and now I eat it plain as a snack - it melts in the mouth.

Here is a quick clip on what dulse offers:
Seaweeds are the richest source of absorbable minerals on the planet. The Purple Dulse Seaweed is 22% protein (dry weight) and is an excellent source of Vitamins A, C, E, and B-12 as well as calcium, iron, iodine, niacin, thiamin and trace minerals. It is low in sodium and high in potassium. The latest research describes that Purple Dulse Seaweed may help reverse hardening of the arteries, reduce high blood pressure, regress and prevent tumors, and even remove toxic metals from our bodies by transforming them into harmless salts (via a substance called alginic acid) that are easily eliminated

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: Okay this could be offensive to some.

Colpy said:
I have never paid any attention to the whole health/food thing. I am basically a carnivore, I love greasy burgers, steak, butter, cream, milk, chocolate, etc.

I agree, actually. I don't eat health foods, I just happen to like a lot of foods that coincidentally are healthy. :D Purely accidental! I don't eat any meat except seafood, and love butter, cream and chocolate, yum.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Re: RE: Okay this could be offensive to some.

Colpy said:
What the hell.

I bet I live to my mid-eighties, as that is the age my father, grandfather, and great grandfather all died.

Mind you, at 5'11" and 240 lbs I need to lose some weight.

This would account for your bizzare posts, there,s two of you useing the same brain. :lol:

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
Funny thing when I complained to London Drugs that they included iron in their over 50 one a day vits it was later removed. Iron causes heart attacks in senior men.
Then there was a recent article in Canada's newspaper where one should eat white bread half the time. Seems the folic acid added to the enriched flour in more beneficial than a all whole grains diet.