The Immigrants Poem (Immigrants Poem)

Hank C
Quote:

I think Hank C must have just bought a lot of stock in BP Roofing Asphalt Shingles and wants to see a home building boom or something like that because I fail to see why else he would be hellbent on destroying Canada's natural environment in the name of a bigger economy.

What we really need is more labor to build the houses. It (shortage) hurts the contractor, buyer, or both.

Quote:

Hank C, you mentioned room for growth in lower mainland BC. Do you know all the species currently at risk there? Do you know Vancouver has a higher population density than Shanghai and is experiencing fresh water shortages?

No, what I said was that with the exception of the Windsor-Quebec City corridor and the lower mainland in BC, the rest of Canada is relatively underpopulated. The Edmonton-Calgary corridor is still filling out, and could add millions more.

I can understand the arguement in Ontario seeing as how the population is already close to 13 million, however you have to take into account factors such as the economy. The lowermainland BC has only 3 million, but I don't think you would want to grow to more than 4 or 5 million, even with smartgrowth.

Quote:

You cannot protect the environment with the growth Canada is undergoing now. If human population grows perpetually all provincial and national parks will be sacrificed once demands reach the critical mass.

This is nonsense to imply that Canada's provincial parks are going to be sacrificed with our current population growth. If Canada had a population over 100 million (and you take into account that most of our population would live in the southern provinces/areas) then I could grasp your concept.

quinton
Well Hank C, I already think that the current population level in Canada and the way it consumes and exports resources is unsustainable.

If it was up to me, we would aim to slowly reduce the population in Canada so that in our lifetimes we wouldn't see a continual degradation of the environment.

They've already logged right up to northern boundary of Pukaskwa National Park despite stiff opposition from environmentalists worried about woodland caribou.

They've also built many highways through Banff and Jasper.

The compromisation of the integrity of our national and provincial parks is subtle to the unconcerned, but it is happening, and it happens directly in response to population growth.

OpnSrc
I have to agree with you quinton ...
Even tho most of our population now ( and if a growth boom does actually happen) live along the US Border; it still effects the environment 1000's km away.

Could Canada sustain a population of 100 million, probably yes.. but at what cost to our land?

quinton
OpnSrc, you're right and that's exactly why I am fed up with immigration in Canada.

I refuse to make more money than the basic personal amount because I can't stand to pay income tax to a government that uses my money to destroy the natural environment.

quinton
Now that Michigan is going to be closing its borders to Toronto's garbage trucks, who the heck is going to take it now?

Apparently Toronto doesn't have enough trash, so it is planning to grow its population 40% by 2031. How? Immigration why of course.

At least the Environmental Commissioner of Ontario (independent government audit organization) will admit the problem. The government refuses to admit the problem.

The ECO said in a letter to me.

Quote:

The ECO is sympathetic to the idea that the government and public need to engage in a dialogue on population growth, a dialogue which does not appear to be happening at present. In our last annual report, we addressed this need, and it would be fair to say our comments attracted quite a bit of attention. (See the
attached article). I am attaching the press release of November 1, 2005, that accompanied our 2004-2005 Annual Report publication. I would like to draw your
attention in particular to a portion of the Commissioner's comments:
"The other planning issue that has enormous significance and impact that is not being considered is the forecast for population growth in the GTA and central portions of the province. The Provincial Policy Statement requires
municipalities to make available sufficient lands to accommodate growth for 20 years. The projections call for GTA and central Ontario populations to grow by
almost 40 per cent by 2031. Setting aside and servicing the necessary land will involve further sprawl, massive Great Lakes water takings and undeterminable storm water and sewage impacts. Yet where do these population projections come from? Who decides that the landscape will be consumed in southern Ontario but
that the north will depopulate? Rather than just racing blindly ahead with hugely expensive and probably unsustainable growth plans, I suggest that it is time for the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and...

Quote has been trimmed
When is enough enough?

OpnSrc
Quinton: Nice letter.. what do you do for a living?

Jay
Quote: Originally Posted by OpnSrc

Thanks again for the KKK inuendo...

Maybe I can suggest some reading for you?

"This forceful, sarcastic, and often hilarious book offers tips on arguing with liberals, which include the following: don't be defensive, always outrage the enemy, and never apologize to, compliment, or show graciousness to a Democrat.

quinton
I was a software developer. I worked for two large companies. I moved to the second one so I could do more challenging and technical work and be closer to home.

I got sick and tired of them asking me to work late nights and weekends for free.

I was on salary.

Their tactic was to butter you up with stock options, christmas gift baskets, parties, team lunches, etc in exchange for you giving into their culture of working extra hours for free.

They constantly put me under pressure to work longer hours even saying that they'd bring me dinner to my cube.

When I signed the contract of employment it said they expected me to work fulltime hours of 37.5 hours per week (that's 30 minutes paid lunch and otherwise 9-5). That sure was a lie.

So I told them that I was unwilling to work beyond what my contract said which was 37.5 hours per week since I was already writing exceptional code and being very productive.

They followed that up with a termination letter. I've never felt better.

OpnSrc
Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

Quote: Originally Posted by OpnSrc

Thanks again for the KKK inuendo...

Maybe I can suggest some reading for you?

"This forceful, sarcastic, and often hilarious book offers tips on arguing with liberals, which include the following: don't be defensive, always outrage the enemy, and never apologize to, compliment, or show graciousness to a Democrat.

"How to Talk to a Liberal - IF YOU MUST".... hahahahhahhahahaha... I gotta get that book..
Thanks Jay!

Jay
My pleasure! It's a public service I perform....

I'm picking up my copy this week!

Haggis McBagpipe
Funny, Hotlips Hoolihan always comes to mind when I think of Anne Coulter.

Jay
I'm showing my age here....I had to look up "Hotlips Hoolihan" but now I remember her....

quinton
Ann Coulter I think is a pro economic-growth republican Christian who defends Bill O'Reilly of Fox TV and thinks the war in Iraq was US heroics. She doesn't have any concern for the environment.

In other words, her book is garbage.

Jay
Ann cares, just not the same way you do!

www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/coulter101300.asp (external - login to view)

quinton
I seriously hope that you all won't waste your time reading her articles or her book.

I just read that article Jay posted, and I wish I hadn't bothered.

She uses humour to spread her propaganda.

If she thinks the biosphere is invincible and the bible told us that God created man to have dominion over all other creatures on the planet...

Then why don't we move Ann Coulter to a place like Tokyo, where she'll be so crowded she'll have to live on the 100th floor with a 100 square foot apartment?

Anyway I seriously hope you don't think she is even remotely funny or witty.

She thinks drilling for oil in Arctic National Wildlife Refuge won't hurt the caribou when scientists all agree that it would be detrimental to them.

It's people like her that should be sent to "hell" if such a place existed.

Jay
Quote: Originally Posted by quinton

She uses humour to spread her propaganda.

True, but certainly we are luckier than this old lady caught in the Spanish Inquisitions propaganda methods, below....

people.csail.mit.edu/paulfitz...sh/script.html (external - login to view)

Ximinez: Now, old woman -- you are accused of heresy on three counts -- heresy by thought, heresy by word, heresy by deed, and heresy by action -- *four* counts. Do you confess?

Wilde: I don't understand what I'm accused of.

Ximinez: Ha! Then we'll make you understand! Biggles! Fetch...THE CUSHIONS!

[JARRING CHORD]

[Biggles holds out two ordinary modern household cushions]

Biggles: Here they are, lord.

Ximinez: Now, old lady -- you have one last chance. Confess the heinous sin of heresy, reject the works of the ungodly -- *two* last chances. And you shall be free -- *three* last chances. You have three last chances, the nature of which I have divulged in my previous utterance.

Wilde: I don't know what you're talking about.

Ximinez: Right! If that's the way you want it -- Cardinal! Poke her with the soft cushions!

[Biggles carries out this rather pathetic torture]

Ximinez: Confess! Confess! Confess!

Biggles: It doesn't seem to be hurting her, lord.

Ximinez: Have you got all the stuffing up one end?

Biggles: Yes, lord.

Ximinez [angrily hurling away the cushions]: Hm! She is made of harder stuff! Cardinal Fang! Fetch...THE COMFY CHAIR!

[JARRING CHORD]

[Zoom into Fang's horrified face]

Fang [terrified]: The...Comfy Chair?

[Biggles pushes in a comfy chair -- a really plush one]

Ximinez: So you think you are strong because you can survive the soft cushions. Well, we shall see. Biggles! Put her in the Comfy Chair!

[They roughly push her into the Comfy Chair]

Ximinez [with a cruel leer]: Now -- you will stay in the Comfy Chair until lunch time, with only a cup of coffee at eleven. [aside, to Biggles] Is that really all it is?

Biggles: Yes, lord.

Ximinez: I see. I suppose we make it worse by shouting a lot, do we? Confess, woman. Confess! Confess! Confess! Confess

Biggles: I confess!

Ximinez: Not you!

quinton
huh?

Jay seems like he/she is in bed with Coulter.

OpnSrc
hahahahhahahhaaa

aVril_roCks_s0ysAuce
lol!!! where'd u get it??